+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    You'd be correct. I really wouldn't trust Animals Australia to be source of truthful info. Though I am a bloodthirsty farmer
    I understand where you're coming from. But they aren't exaggerating what he said. There have been articles on SBS and ABC stating exactly what Abbott said (as Bec has shown below). Just because it also came from Animals Australia doesn't make it any less valid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I'm regional, and farming plays a big part in our local area, but I don't agree with live exports, not a bit. There are much better ways to the these things.
    I agree, but where are the solutions? Neighbours of ours can't feed their stock and they can't sell them. Rural Australia is in crisis and neither major party gives a crap. I'll still never vote for the libs though.

ETA This debate is just too close to home for me, so I'll bow out. Please know that I don't support live ex but I do support farmers.
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 17-05-2013 at 21:19.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Understand MissKitty. The farmers are suffering and I don't know where the answers lie. None of us like the pictures we've seen of animals suffering, and you'd think that tasering before slaughtering might be an answer, but I don't know enough about the industry.

The debacle which was left for the cattle after the Indonesian export problems arose meant many cattle were unable to be sold, but there was no other market. It cost the farmers millions and some their farms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I admit I'm ignorant on the topic, but surely killing them here as per Halal would fulfill the criteria for many foreign countries to buy it?

Why do countries like Indonesia insist they be alive?

Dh worked in an abattoirs years ago and he said most of the slaughtermen were muslim and there was a very strict procedure for halal kill.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd thought the same as you Del, so I asked someone in the know. Apparently the problem is that they don't have the facilities to keep the meat in Indonesia. (ie. not enough refrigeration or whatever).

I thought - slaughter them humanely here, then freeze the meat and send it over - apparently not that easy....

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

delirium  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It's a curly one as most farmers I've known care very greatly about their animals as they believe (and missy correct me if I'm wrong) that well looked after (birth to death) animals make better meat. When we had the draught many years ago there were heartbreaking photos of farmers having to shoot starving animals and they were crying as they did so. I don't believe farmers are cruel at all

Honestly at the end of the day they have to feed their families and if it came down to a choice between my kids going hungry or live animal exports I know what I'd do.

I just wish it didn't come to that.

Missy don't leave I enjoy your input

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so I know I'm probably the only one here and probably going to get attacked for it but I support live export.

Don't get me wrong, I am just as disgusted as the rest of you with animal cruelty videos released in relation to this, it is truly heartbreaking to watch I agree. But banning live export will not stop them from doing this. They will source cattle from other countries should we stop our supply. Not all overseas abattoirs behave as such as those seen in videos either.

Banning live export will lead to financial crisis for many as Australia does not have a market for that much beef. Indonesia has already been looking at investing in Australian cattle stations so they can secure a supply of beef for their country, I think it is sad that owners of these stations are resorting to selling.

I'm sorry but unless you or your family would be personally affected by the outcomes of banning live export maybe you should rethink some of the things you have said and take more consideration into those whose lives it will destroy. How would you feel if your livelihood was taken away from you?

Australian farmers need more support!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lovepollution For This Useful Post:

Father  (18-05-2013),Mopoke  (18-05-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-05-2013),tamute  (18-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't think anyone is negating the effect on farmers. I also live in a farming community and while we don't breed a lot of animals (we produce crops) no one knows more than me how hard things are for the farmers. A few years ago during the drought we had 3rd and 4th generation farmers literally pulling out fruit trees allowing it to rot on the ground bc it would actually cost money to have people pick them bc the prices were so pathetically low. It was heart breaking.

I think many of us are just discussing what options there are to keep everyone happy....

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    While I'm all for supporting our farmers, I don't think it's a good argument for live cattle export. There's only so far you can extend that logic. What if we knew the animals were being sent into torture? Or experimentation?

Those who don't tolerate the notion can't make an exception just because it makes Australians money. The same logic was used with regard to slavery.

If there's then less of a market for beef then I'm tempted to say so be it. That's life, markets change.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (18-05-2013),Kirst33  (18-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I respect everyone's opinions (and I'm not having a go at anyone here) I think people need to be more educated in both sides of the debate on live export.

Farming is not just a 9 to 5 job. Should this industry die its not just an income we are losing. There is no simple solution like 'go find a new job'. It is also our home and our way of life. What are we expected to do when our job and our home has effectively been taken away from us? Once farmers are forced off the land due to financial crisis, their livestock that are unable to be sold will only die of thirst and starvation. How is this not animal cruelty?

Again, I'm not having a go at anyone but if you have not already done so I seriously encourage those interested to read up on some articles/websites that support live export. Research how many overseas abattoirs used approved methods of slaughter versus what you see in footage. I believe there are solutions to improve standards instead of simply placing a ban.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovepollution For This Useful Post:

Father  (18-05-2013),Mod-Nomsie  (18-05-2013)