+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ohh, Burn!

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    AUSTRALIA'S most needless wasteful spending took place under the John Howard-led Coalition government rather than under the Whitlam, Rudd or Gillard Labor governments, a study has found.
    The International Monetary Fund study bills itself as the first to examine 200 years of government financial records across 55 leading economies.
    It identifies only two periods of Australian "fiscal profligacy" in recent years, both during Mr Howard's term in office - in 2003 at the start of the mining boom and during his final years in office between 2005 and 2007.
    and....
    The IMF study mirrors findings in a 2008 Australian Treasury study that found real government spending grew faster in the final four years of the Howard government than in any four-year period since the 1990s recession

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...#ixzz2TMRD4vxZ

Even your pro liberal website said this : "
    While I completely agree that the later years of the Howard era were characterised by excessive spending, there is a tad too much ‘hyper bowl’ in that article."

They then go on to make several excuses, among one that in so many words, since he still brought in a small surplus the argument of Howard's spending is moot. Also that there "is no discussion about Australia". No the report doesn't outline in words it's findings for us, but the graphs speak for themselves? I admit most people, what ever side of the fence they sit on, tend to be one eyed. but this article from
    catallaxyfiles just came across as desperately trying to find some flaw in the study bc heaven forbid the lib supporters agree that howard spent... and big.

I can't help feeling if this same worldwide study showed the libs in glowing terms they would be trumpeting it's praises.

Clearly I'm a leftie, but I'm under no illusions that labor aren't perfect. After 16 years I plan to vote greens. But I think Father that maybe you are only reading and processing what suits you? As a staunch labor supporter I see see the failings since Gillard has come in. But it just seems you stoically refuse to accept any study/report that might even hint the libs aren't perfect.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]But I think Father that maybe you are only reading and processing what suits you?
    No, that can't be true, I have seen father in other threads to do with Climate change and that doesn't sound like anything he would ever do.....erm....wait! What am I talking about? That is EXACTLY what he does.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (16-05-2013),Kirst33  (16-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I find it fascinating that you two are asking where the funding from NDIS is coming from, when NO ONE ever asks where the Libs are going to get the money for all their grandiose schemes.

The are promising more tax cuts, huge parental paid schemes, getting rid of the carbon tax, getting rid of the mining super tax, etc etc - then were is the money going to come from?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (16-05-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Because the libs aren't in government, and so aren't open to the scrutiny. Because they aren't trying to pass legislations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So? What a strange thing to say? I still want to know that they can pay for their campaign promises.

Does anyone else find it interesting that Tony Abbott has been refusing to go on Q&A again? Apparently he hasn't been on in almost 3 years, and I am going to guess that is is because it is a live program and whenever he says stuff without his publicists and spin doctors he always ends up sounding like a clown. I wish he would just go on and prove me right!

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    Because the libs aren't in government, and so aren't open to the scrutiny. Because they aren't trying to pass legislations.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (16-05-2013),mummabec  (16-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yes Beebs. I saw Hockey asked where he was going to find the money to fund another increase to the PPL given the libs have said they are going to be tightening to purse strings right up. He said something along the lines of "oh we have factored that in". The interviewer then said "where from?" he had no real response.

The truth is, I haven't been happy with Gillard. But what I will say is that Labor has far more policy development than the Libs. I'm yet to see anything of substance from Abbott, except a suggestion a few years ago about rebranding Work Choices, and now increasing PPL. His term as Opposition Leader has been full of rheoric and capitalising on any mistake by labor rather than offering up real policy to counteract.

Even now, the libs refuse to say anything about what their policies are until almost a month into the election wind up. I'm aware there is going to be another budget right after the lead up to the election, so technically they don't know exact figures yet, but surely they can put down some basic policy direction?

The Libs will win in Sept. But not bc they have the best policies, but bc Aussies hate Gillard. It's kind of like a default win....

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-05-2013),Kirst33  (16-05-2013)

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The Libs will win in Sept. But not bc they have the best policies, but bc Aussies hate Gillard. It's kind of like a default win....
    Just how Labor won in 2007. It's always the way; once the public hates a party the opposition only has to offer a viable alternative.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    But that's the way it usually goes. It's long been said that opposition parties don't win elections, rather encumbent governments lose them. Abbott is doing what all the other leaders usually do which is sit back and let the encumbent gov't implode. Labor does a good job of shooting itself why would Abbott really do anything that might redirect focus?

FWIW I was prepared to give Gillard one last chance but not after the budget and the fact they are delaying major environmental reform. I know the Libs won't help the environment but I feel very let down by Labor.
    Last edited by Sonja; 16-05-2013 at 12:20.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Kirst33  (16-05-2013),lambjam  (16-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Just how Labor won in 2007. It's always the way; once the public hates a party the opposition only has to offer a viable alternative.
    Yep, agree. Howard ruined it by bringing in work choices. Although I still maintain Rudd had more policy than Abbott does.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    But that's the way it usually goes. It's long been said that opposition parties don't win elections, rather encumbent governments lose them. Abbott is doing what all the other leaders usually do which is sit back and let the encumbent gov't implode. Labor does a good job of shooting itself why would Abbott really do anything that might redirect focus?

I think most people know what the Libs stand for - and it's not great.
    Sure I get that, but surely we want to see the Lib cards on the table? I get that elections are often won by hating the current govt, not so much loving the opposition... but other shadow leaders in both parties have had far more to offer in the way of policy at this stage being so close to the election.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-05-2013)