+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Compared to Europe we are looking good. But that is not hard to do.
    We are lucky to be here, and you have the previous government to thank for putting us in such a good position.
    Yes, because they made the most of the mining boom, not! Let's not forget how much was wasted there.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well since it passed in parliament today with bipartisan support, and all the states signing up and agree to fund it as well, I would say it is not uncosted. Thankfully there are people who believe this is a worthy cause!
    Why do you assume that I don't think it is a worthy cause? I do. I have not seen the legislation. What actually passed? Do we know what is included? Is autism included for example? How much and what sort of assistance will they get?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Yes, because they made the most of the mining boom, not! Let's not forget how much was wasted there.
    Did they not get the budget back into surplus and pay off all of the debt? How did they not 'make the most of the mining boom'?
    How much and what was wasted?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Yes it was interesting seeing a story today about how much the libs wasted in the last 3 years of the Howard Govt. Apparently those years either were, or close to, the biggest revenue years for this country. Yet those 3 years they delivered only modest surpluses. Apparently had they not given 40bil in tax cuts we would actually be in surplus.

I also think it's important to remember the last lib govt reigned during the huge boom in the mining industry and had huge profits to play with. Labor has reigned in a world wide recession then downturn. Granted, as a labor voter I haven't agreed with everything they have done. But it's like comparing a household of 500k with a household on 100k then saying the latter are just poor with finances bc they they don't have the same disposable income as their more wealthy counterparts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (16-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But it's like comparing a household of 500k with a household on 100k then saying the latter are just poor with finances bc they they don't have the same disposable income as their more wealthy counterparts.
    Swan-Budget-2013-3.jpg

Um. Yes they do. Revenue has been increasing, despite Swan trying to paint the picture otherwise. It raised 6% this year alone. Swan has been getting more for the last few years than what Costello ever got.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    I would be interested in where that graph come from, bc from all reports I've seen from a variety of financial and political analysts they have said Howard's era was much more plentiful and under much better worldwide conditions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That particular graphic came from http://catallaxyfiles.com/2013/05/14...res-and-stats/

I can provide some other data if you want to see the raw figures. Swan is spinning the 'writedown' of revenue to make it sound like revenue has dropped. It hasn't. It has increased throughout his term as treasurer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From the ABC.

4660892-3x2-940x627.jpghttp://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-0...-big-1/4660892

Raw data can be found here from the ABS.

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....-12&num=&view=

Where are you getting your financial analysis from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    AUSTRALIA'S most needless wasteful spending took place under the John Howard-led Coalition government rather than under the Whitlam, Rudd or Gillard Labor governments, a study has found.
    The International Monetary Fund study bills itself as the first to examine 200 years of government financial records across 55 leading economies.
    It identifies only two periods of Australian "fiscal profligacy" in recent years, both during Mr Howard's term in office - in 2003 at the start of the mining boom and during his final years in office between 2005 and 2007.
    and....
    The IMF study mirrors findings in a 2008 Australian Treasury study that found real government spending grew faster in the final four years of the Howard government than in any four-year period since the 1990s recession

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...#ixzz2TMRD4vxZ

Even your pro liberal website said this : "
    While I completely agree that the later years of the Howard era were characterised by excessive spending, there is a tad too much ‘hyper bowl’ in that article."

They then go on to make several excuses, among one that in so many words, since he still brought in a small surplus the argument of Howard's spending is moot. Also that there "is no discussion about Australia". No the report doesn't outline in words it's findings for us, but the graphs speak for themselves? I admit most people, what ever side of the fence they sit on, tend to be one eyed. but this article from
    catallaxyfiles just came across as desperately trying to find some flaw in the study bc heaven forbid the lib supporters agree that howard spent... and big.

I can't help feeling if this same worldwide study showed the libs in glowing terms they would be trumpeting it's praises.

Clearly I'm a leftie, but I'm under no illusions that labor aren't perfect. After 16 years I plan to vote greens. But I think Father that maybe you are only reading and processing what suits you? As a staunch labor supporter I see see the failings since Gillard has come in. But it just seems you stoically refuse to accept any study/report that might even hint the libs aren't perfect.....
    Last edited by delirium; 15-05-2013 at 21:57.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (16-05-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    4/10 is a fraction.

As I said. It has not been funded. You can hardly say that the government has 'achieved' anything other than to partially fund a still relatively uncosted policy.
    I'm curious about this too. I support the NDIS, but want to know where the other 60% of funding is coming from. I have not been following it closely enough (otherwise I wouldn't be asking the question), but from the way that the states have needed to support it, I suspect the other 60% needs to come from state budgets. I'm suspecting that WA isn't supporting atm due to the huge disproportionate distribution of GST between states (when compared to population v income of the states).

I also have big questions re: the NDIS. As I've said, I do support any support of people with disabilities (I've worked very closely with families and people with disabilities, and have fundraised myself to help get wheelchairs etc). I want to see the criteria and to know that it's been researched well and will deliver what it promises.

Something I didn't like about the delivery of the NDIS to the public was how it was suggesting that the coalition had a say in whether it would be passed - Labor had the numbers with the Greens and independents, so when they said that the Libs needed to support it to pass, it was false and playing politics. It was irrelevant whether the Libs supported it.

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I would be interested in where that graph come from, bc from all reports I've seen from a variety of financial and political analysts they have said Howard's era was much more plentiful and under much better worldwide conditions.
    FTR, Any stats I've seen, have said that the Labor government of this era has had more income over it's term (and growing) than the Howard government had. Maybe worldwide the conditions were better, however, we have had an amazing boom of the mining industry during the time of this government and that has brought in more money for this government. As shown by their attempt to get money from the MRRT, which was delivered very poorly, shown by the deficit between the projections (which was supposed to deliver the extra super help etc) and the actual money received. In the meantime, small businesses may suffer given that they will have to figure many ways to balance the books to help deliver the super increases that have been promised.