+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    I'm surprised that this article has not generated more discussion.... I thought it was really interesting!
    Me too! I was expecting all kinds of responses. Economic discussions on here are often quick to turn to generalised and dramatic perceptions of wealth distribution. Perhaps this is too balanced to be exciting?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (15-05-2013),kw123  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I thought it was a really interesting insight into the financial circumstances of Australian households, too.

It goes beyond the usual simplistic comparison of gross incomes.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (14-05-2013),kw123  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    Me too! I was expecting all kinds of responses. Economic discussions on here are often quick to turn to generalised and dramatic perceptions of wealth distribution. Perhaps this is too balanced to be exciting?
    You've hit the nail on the head there I think! Anything that suggests that the wealthy might not be as wealthy as you'd think after everything is taken off, isn't going to be viewed positively.

I found the average net worth of the lowest quintile quite interesting. I hadn't ever really thought about the number of pensioners (not all of course) sitting in mortgage free houses, meaning they are asset rich but cash poor, especially if they are only living on Govt payments and their own super (and their own super is likely small).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hadn't either, kw - when I first read the percentage of people in that quintile living in their own home without a mortgage I was all a bit wtf. Then of course I realised it was people on the old age pension.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I hadn't either, kw - when I first read the percentage of people in that quintile living in their own home without a mortgage I was all a bit wtf. Then of course I realised it was people on the old age pension.
    Pretty sure people wouldn't suggest they sell up and move to outer suburbia for more cash lol!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

NancyBlackett  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Very interesting. Goes to show that reality is much different to the perception.

I think technically we're in the highest bracket but when you throw in a Sydney mortgage, cuts in health insurance rebates, childcare fees and general bills we're hardly living the high life!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

jfblady72  (14-05-2013),kw123  (14-05-2013),tormyxxx  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's fair to say a lot of the 'you earn $100k you're rich' vs 'you get all my tax dollars' angst on BH comes from the middle three quintiles?

Yet in terms of disposable income there's only about $500 a week difference between the second and fourth percentiles and half that again between the second and third percentiles.

Throw in living costs and I'd wager the gap narrows even more.

I know the asset figures in the quintiles relate to everything and not just houses, but it's worth bearing in mind a $400k mortgage is around $3k a month - that's $36k a year.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (15-05-2013),lambjam  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found that really interesting. It's interesting to see the post tax dollars and how there really isn't a huge difference across many brackets. I know until recently my husbands wage after tax and paying child support was only $100 more per fortnight than his ex wife recieved on a single parent payment plus child support. Not trying to start a debate but often after tax there's not a huge difference

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meags82 View Post
    I found that really interesting. It's interesting to see the post tax dollars and how there really isn't a huge difference across many brackets. I know until recently my husbands wage after tax and paying child support was only $100 more per fortnight than his ex wife recieved on a single parent payment plus child support. Not trying to start a debate but often after tax there's not a huge difference
    Well said. While higher income earners are often viewed as wealthy the amount of high tax they pay is not taken into account so in reality the take home dollar is much less than people may think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah and once you factor in the HUGE differences in out of pocket expenses for childcare that lessens the gap even more.