+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When their music is roaring at 2am from 5acres away, shaking every window and wall in my house and I can make out every word, my DD can't sleep and neither can we. Then yes they'll get reported. And it's happened on several occasions too.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it's a rare occasion then I won't complain. After all, it might be someone's 50th or another 'special' birthday. But if it happens more than once every couple of months then I would complain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have, once. The music was so loud that objects on shelves at the opposite end of the house were moving towards the edge of the shelf. And it was a party several houses down, so god knows what their next door neighbors were suffering through!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Usually I just ignore it, but recently reached my threshold and reported it to the local council security team. It was ludicrously loud, audible "thump" music (a few houses away, but still really clear in our bedroom) and at 1am my pregnant (and not sleeping very well anyway) self decided enough was enough. I dreaded making the call and sounding like a whinger, but the council person was very polite and helpful. If they ever have another party like that, we've got plan to flick their power box to off (located at the end of a long driveway well away from their house), padlock it and wander off with the key.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends. Generally people in our street have settled down by midnight. Once though many years ago DH came home from working grave yard so it was about 2am and people a few units up were having a raging party. You could hear people yelling over the fence "ITS LATE! TIME TO STOP" but they didn't care. The police were called but were taking their sweet time. DH went out and spoke to the guy and they were all so drunk they didn't realize. And they did turn it all off and eventually scatter. The police showed up at 4.30am and told someone next time to just turn the power off. Which I think was a dumb suggestion, I'd hate for irate party goers than turn on people over that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    If someone in your neighbourhood, who you do not know personally, throws a wild party complete with ridiculously loud music (I'm talking window vibrating doof doof music) - do you call the police to make a noise complaint?

Or do you try and ignore it, hoping they will slow it down by a reasonable hour and that they won't wake your kids?

I'm just curious what others do.
    if it is so loud I cannnot concentrate on what I am doing, or is going to stop me or my children getting to sleep I do call noise control. Multiple times if it doesn't stop.

People can have music that doesnt have the bass or volume that moves through walls, so I have no issue with that. But is that noise that gives you a headache that gets me

PS also call noise control if they are outside yelling at the top of their lungs as this is often worse.

I am happy to live in a street where noone apart from someone at the far end of the street has this type of party. People have parties, they just aren't disrespectful to the social harmony of the street.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found in these situations it is helpful to take the phone and stand where it is noisiest on your property so they person on the other end can hear the issue loud and clear!

rainbow road is online now look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't bother calling the police myself, because I know that it's not a priority for them unless there's nothing else going on.

I guess if it were a regular occurrence maybe, but for a once off nope

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We call if its after 11 at a weekend or after 10 on a weekday. I think people need to be more aware of others and act appropriately including not having stupidly loud music. It is possible to have a decent party without that level. The few times it has happened here and we've called the police they said they had a few other complaints and they popped over

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

upforroundtwo  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I called the police on an old neighbour of mine two to three times per week. I lived in a unit block 12 identical units. Each was one bedroom, one lounge room, and the bedroom shared a wall with your neighbours lounge room. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I was pregnant and exhausted. He would have music so so loud, friends over, they fought and argued and drank, it was AWFUL! We banged on his doors and windows every time, but his music was so loud he couldn't hear us. He didn't even open up for the cops. Awful.

We moved when I was heavily pregnant as I couldn't sleep, and there was no way I felt safe bringing our baby home there.

So, yes, I have done and would again.