+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Advice wanted re blended families

I am sure there are a lot of people who have been in a similar position to me, whether in my position or that of my partner.

I have been a single parent to DS for most of his life (he is turning 7soon) and DP and I have been together since last August, and were together over a year before that for about 12 months.

I am unexpectedly pregnant (now 24weeks) and the plan is to be living together before the baby comes in September.

DS still sees his dad every second weekend, and up until now any other help I have needed I have asked my mum for.

I am starting to feel like if we are together and bringing another baby into this mix then DP needs to take a little responsibility for DS. Whether that means having him when I am in hospital after the birth of the baby, or even just some nights doing the bath/bed thing.

So I am curious what is/isn't reasonable to expect and how do I broach the subject? I do not want to end up in a position where he. Sees one child as his responsibility and the other as solely mine because I do not believe it should work that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't have children with my dp but he does help me with my 2 children. It was a gradual thing as he got more comfortable and bonded with them, now he will look after them if I have appointments etc. or pick dd up from school, do her home readers with her etc. but most responsibility still falls on me especially the decision making and discipline. we've been together 20 months, we don't live together yet, but he still helps me. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for help, especially if you have another child together, they should be treated equally.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When it comes to blended families forget all preconcieved ideas on how families should work. You can't force relationships to happen or bonds to form. They have to happen naturally which can take years (if at all). Perhaps you should look up some info on blended families as it sounds like you have high expectations of your dp and in my opinion your setting yourself up for failure. The most important things you can practise in a blended family is kindness, tolerance and acceptance and hope that the rest happens naturally. Good luck with ur pregnancy.. Xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think if you have been living with him for a year and are having a baby to him then he should be treating your son like his own, you can't have him favouring one child over the other. Just sit down and talk about it. Maybe he thinks because your so has a dad he doesn't want to replace him, but he should be helping you if you two are making a home together.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We aren't living together yet, but will be soon.

And they do get on great, he is quite happy to take DS to the park etc if I ask. DS absolutely adores him too.

I guess every situation is different and we need to find what works for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my opinion- if you go into dating someone knowing they have a child then raising that child has to be something u are willing to do or starting the relationship is pointless.

Your son has a father who is active in his life, you are not seeking a replacement dad. Let that be known.

However I believe that if you are living as a family then ur current partner does need to step up- to what level and with what "power go discipline" Etc is up to the both of you to work out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you haven't lived together yet then it will take some time before your partner devolops a bond with your DS.

I dont think step parents should be made to feel they need to take their stepkids on as their own because it doesn't work like that.
    The stepkids often have both bio parents in their lives and they don't need a replacement mum or dad.
    Last edited by Blue Dragon; 20-05-2013 at 22:47.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Dragon For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I personally felt that to just thrust DD onto DP and expect him to act as a father to her was asking far too much. It happened really really slowly.

Obviously he had financial obligations to us when we moved in together, but beyond that I didn't expect much help. Sure, get her a drink if she asks you, maybe watch her for 5 mins while I use the toilet but beyond that, not much was expected.

It's worked well for us... He doesn't feel like he's been pushed into anything and hasn't been overwhelmed by being an insta-dad to DD.

Now, aside from the fact he doesn't have the official title, he acts as her father... But we have been together for almost 5 years and I would say its only really been the last 18 months that I've expected him to be as if she were his in regards to his support with her. They needed to develop a relationship and I wanted to make sure it moved at a pace that everyone was comfortable with... I didn't want him to feel overwhelmed and run away from us.

So obviously, I wouldn't be expecting him to do much for your son at this point other than what you would ask from a friend... Occasional care if you can't organise an alternative etc. Especially as you do not live together and he already has a father who is hopefully pulling his own weight.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Blue Dragon  (14-05-2013),HugsBunny  (14-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We decided from day dot that any kid in our house is treated as if its our child. We felt it saves less confusion for the kids & us. We had many talks on our ideas for children that we hadn't had with the people we actually had children with.

Within our house this works very well & people comment regularly that you wouldn't know we are a blended family.

However we have had family & one of the exs have a massive problem with this. It has resulted in us cutting certain family members which was unfortunately necessary & while its eased our stress unfortunately hasn't completely stopped them causing us trouble

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I think its a good idea to talk to him about it and ask him what he thinks & what his expectations are.

My dad meet my mum when my eldest brother's were 5 & 7. My dad loves kids and was very proactive with them from the start (he later adopted them after my brothers birth father suggested it but that's another story). But this is what my dad was/is comfortable with. Your partner hopefully will be able to be responsible for both children eventually but it probably needs to start small and give them time to develop a relationship.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app