+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Really it's no harsher than accusing someone of having no sense of humour or being "hormonal" for disliking blatant gender stereotyping.
    I didnt see that comment ....just saw the one at the end which I replied to.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I love Masterchef. But far out. These adds annoy me. Look, I'm all for a Men vs Women season, I'm down with that, I think it would be fun to watch. But they sure as heck could have done the advertising without the cheesy stereotypes and without the pink/blue colour scheme. Or they could have mixed up a bit, the women in blue and the men in pink
    I agree with this. I don't have too much of a problem with the boys vs girls thing, though it is a bit naff.
    It's the ad with all the pink vs blue, girls are delicate little frilly princesses and boys are tough and strong.... that's what peeves me. It doesn't appeal to me at all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The advert hasn't captured me into wanting to watch it... That 50's housewife girl that keeps appearing on te show just brings back way to mg memory of cupcake girl on my kitchen rules I can't deal with another dose of her.. Lol

~Isla Rohmaine arriving sept 2013 and a baby makes 3!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Twoalready For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just had a thought about why some people find the ad funny and others don't.

Comedy is often based on real life observations, which are then exaggerated to the point where they become caricatures.

Perhaps those that find the ad funny do so because they see it as an exaggeration of differences that actually do exist in men and women. Those who don't find it funny probably don't believe that these types of differences are inherent at all (and most likely wish other people didn't believe it too.
    )

just a thought..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I just had a thought about why some people find the ad funny and others don't.

Comedy is often based on real life observations, which are then exaggerated to the point where they become caricatures.

Perhaps those that find the ad funny do so because they see it as an exaggeration of differences that actually do exist in men and women. Those who don't find it funny probably don't believe that these types of differences are inherent at all (and most likely wish other people didn't believe it too.
    )

just a thought..
    Would you say it's a real life observation that men have better knife skills or that women can't cook with beer? I don't think it plays on existing differences. I really see it as dragging up old stereotypes and exaggerating them. They could have done something much more interesting than this IMO.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-05-2013),CMF  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Harsh? Come off it. I was replying to the people who said that we who didn't like it don't have a sense of humour, and that we are obviously hormonal. If you people don't want harsh - then they shouldn't be offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDucks View Post
    Thats a bit harsh isnt it? Just because other people find this funny whilst you dont doesnt mean that are not as 'clever' as you and thet are certainly not of thhe 'lowest common denominator'.

I dont like slap stick at all....I dont find it funny in the slighest but yet other people do. I am certainly not so that its not 'clever' or only people of the lowest common denominator like it. It implies that the people that like that sort of comedy are all idiots and bogans.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Would you say it's a real life observation that men have better knife skills or that women can't cook with beer? I don't think it plays on existing differences. I really see it as dragging up old stereotypes and exaggerating them. They could have done something much more interesting than this IMO.
    Oh no, I definitely don't think that. Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. *I* don't think the ad is funny because *I* don't see any relationship to reality in it. But, perhaps the reason that other people find it funny is because they do think that there are innate differences that, for example, make women more focused on appearance, or whatever else they want to pick up on (I've seen many people say things like 'little girls just naturally like pink', so I assume that they think that these are innate differences).

I'm just trying to understand what makes this ad offensive to some people (like me) and funny to others. (My amature psychology perhaps isn't all that I think it is though).
    Last edited by Meg2; 13-05-2013 at 12:30.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    Oh no, I definitely don't think that. Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. *I* don't think the ad is funny because *I* don't see any relationship to reality in it. But, perhaps the reason that other people find it funny is because they do think that there are innate differences that, for example, make women more focused on appearance, or whatever else they want to pick up on (I've seen many people say things like 'little girls just naturally like pink', so I assume that they think that these are innate differences).

I'm just trying to understand what makes this ad offensive to some people (like me) and funny to others. (My amature psychology perhaps isn't all that I think it is though).
    Oh sorry, I see what you're getting at. Yes, it kind of continues the cycle, doesn't it? Little girls like pink- is it innate or is it because they are inundated with it from birth, because, yanno, little girls like pink?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Meg2  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Harsh? Come off it. I was replying to the people who said that we who didn't like it don't have a sense of humour, and that we are obviously hormonal. If you people don't want harsh - then they shouldn't be offensive.
    Errrr not all of us who find the ad or concept of the show appealing think those who don't are hormonal or lacking a sense of humour but you quite clearly stated that anyone who finds it appealing is of the lowest common denominator.

I don't agree with the lack of humour or hormonal comments just as I don't agree with your comment. Fighting offensive comments with even further offensive comments..... Two wrongs don't make a right JMHO

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (14-05-2013),FluffyDucks  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I admit that I got a bit annoyed with all the comments, and so I snapped back. Don't poke the bear in the zoo.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMoosMum View Post
    Errrr not all of us who find the ad or concept of the show appealing think those who don't are hormonal or lacking a sense of humour but you quite clearly stated that anyone who finds it appealing is of the lowest common denominator.

I don't agree with the lack of humour or hormonal comments just as I don't agree with your comment. Fighting offensive comments with even further offensive comments..... Two wrongs don't make a right JMHO

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (13-05-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (13-05-2013)