+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 151
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in Vic...Bubhubbing!
    Posts
    2,288
    Thanks
    302
    Thanked
    526
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Really it's no harsher than accusing someone of having no sense of humour or being "hormonal" for disliking blatant gender stereotyping.
    I didnt see that comment ....just saw the one at the end which I replied to.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (13-05-2013)

  3. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,222
    Thanks
    894
    Thanked
    3,218
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I love Masterchef. But far out. These adds annoy me. Look, I'm all for a Men vs Women season, I'm down with that, I think it would be fun to watch. But they sure as heck could have done the advertising without the cheesy stereotypes and without the pink/blue colour scheme. Or they could have mixed up a bit, the women in blue and the men in pink
    I agree with this. I don't have too much of a problem with the boys vs girls thing, though it is a bit naff.
    It's the ad with all the pink vs blue, girls are delicate little frilly princesses and boys are tough and strong.... that's what peeves me. It doesn't appeal to me at all.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (13-05-2013)

  5. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,242
    Thanks
    206
    Thanked
    326
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The advert hasn't captured me into wanting to watch it... That 50's housewife girl that keeps appearing on te show just brings back way to mg memory of cupcake girl on my kitchen rules I can't deal with another dose of her.. Lol


    ~Isla Rohmaine arriving sept 2013 and a baby makes 3!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Twoalready For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (13-05-2013)

  7. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    386
    Thanks
    180
    Thanked
    370
    Reviews
    0
    I just had a thought about why some people find the ad funny and others don't.

    Comedy is often based on real life observations, which are then exaggerated to the point where they become caricatures.

    Perhaps those that find the ad funny do so because they see it as an exaggeration of differences that actually do exist in men and women. Those who don't find it funny probably don't believe that these types of differences are inherent at all (and most likely wish other people didn't believe it too.
    )

    just a thought..

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (13-05-2013)

  9. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I just had a thought about why some people find the ad funny and others don't.

    Comedy is often based on real life observations, which are then exaggerated to the point where they become caricatures.

    Perhaps those that find the ad funny do so because they see it as an exaggeration of differences that actually do exist in men and women. Those who don't find it funny probably don't believe that these types of differences are inherent at all (and most likely wish other people didn't believe it too.
    )

    just a thought..
    Would you say it's a real life observation that men have better knife skills or that women can't cook with beer? I don't think it plays on existing differences. I really see it as dragging up old stereotypes and exaggerating them. They could have done something much more interesting than this IMO.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (13-05-2013),CMF  (13-05-2013)

  11. #66
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Harsh? Come off it. I was replying to the people who said that we who didn't like it don't have a sense of humour, and that we are obviously hormonal. If you people don't want harsh - then they shouldn't be offensive.

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyDucks View Post
    Thats a bit harsh isnt it? Just because other people find this funny whilst you dont doesnt mean that are not as 'clever' as you and thet are certainly not of thhe 'lowest common denominator'.

    I dont like slap stick at all....I dont find it funny in the slighest but yet other people do. I am certainly not so that its not 'clever' or only people of the lowest common denominator like it. It implies that the people that like that sort of comedy are all idiots and bogans.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (13-05-2013)

  13. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    386
    Thanks
    180
    Thanked
    370
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Would you say it's a real life observation that men have better knife skills or that women can't cook with beer? I don't think it plays on existing differences. I really see it as dragging up old stereotypes and exaggerating them. They could have done something much more interesting than this IMO.
    Oh no, I definitely don't think that. Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. *I* don't think the ad is funny because *I* don't see any relationship to reality in it. But, perhaps the reason that other people find it funny is because they do think that there are innate differences that, for example, make women more focused on appearance, or whatever else they want to pick up on (I've seen many people say things like 'little girls just naturally like pink', so I assume that they think that these are innate differences).

    I'm just trying to understand what makes this ad offensive to some people (like me) and funny to others. (My amature psychology perhaps isn't all that I think it is though).
    Last edited by Meg2; 13-05-2013 at 12:30.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (13-05-2013)

  15. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    Oh no, I definitely don't think that. Perhaps I didn't explain myself very well. *I* don't think the ad is funny because *I* don't see any relationship to reality in it. But, perhaps the reason that other people find it funny is because they do think that there are innate differences that, for example, make women more focused on appearance, or whatever else they want to pick up on (I've seen many people say things like 'little girls just naturally like pink', so I assume that they think that these are innate differences).

    I'm just trying to understand what makes this ad offensive to some people (like me) and funny to others. (My amature psychology perhaps isn't all that I think it is though).
    Oh sorry, I see what you're getting at. Yes, it kind of continues the cycle, doesn't it? Little girls like pink- is it innate or is it because they are inundated with it from birth, because, yanno, little girls like pink?

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    Meg2  (13-05-2013)

  17. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    townsville
    Posts
    2,816
    Thanks
    1,570
    Thanked
    1,277
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Harsh? Come off it. I was replying to the people who said that we who didn't like it don't have a sense of humour, and that we are obviously hormonal. If you people don't want harsh - then they shouldn't be offensive.
    Errrr not all of us who find the ad or concept of the show appealing think those who don't are hormonal or lacking a sense of humour but you quite clearly stated that anyone who finds it appealing is of the lowest common denominator.

    I don't agree with the lack of humour or hormonal comments just as I don't agree with your comment. Fighting offensive comments with even further offensive comments..... Two wrongs don't make a right JMHO

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

    Amiedoll  (14-05-2013),FluffyDucks  (13-05-2013)

  19. #70
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I admit that I got a bit annoyed with all the comments, and so I snapped back. Don't poke the bear in the zoo.


    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMoosMum View Post
    Errrr not all of us who find the ad or concept of the show appealing think those who don't are hormonal or lacking a sense of humour but you quite clearly stated that anyone who finds it appealing is of the lowest common denominator.

    I don't agree with the lack of humour or hormonal comments just as I don't agree with your comment. Fighting offensive comments with even further offensive comments..... Two wrongs don't make a right JMHO

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (13-05-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (13-05-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Julia Gillard calls Abbott for his sexist views/comments
    By SpecialPatrolGroup in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 23:40
  2. Sexist? Or not?
    By Misschief in forum General Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 09:07
  3. Women feel sexist at age 28?
    By jessdon in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 25-07-2012, 07:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Cryosite Family Cord Blood & Tissue Bank
Cryosite has been providing Cord Blood Banking services for over 12 years, and is the trusted choice of Australian families. To discuss the benefits of banking your baby's cord blood & tissue stem cells call us on 1800 220 410.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!