+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I personally think men *generally* make better chefs/cooks because alot of men *generally* are fussier with food. They want it to taste amazing where as most women *generally* have the goal of just feeding their family a good meal. Women want the bellies full and men want the org@sm in the mouth experience.....*generally*
    Oh is that so That is one of the more sexist *generalisations* I've seen here....

I think that *generally* men are more likely to get payment and notoriety for their cooking than women. Otherwise they wouldn't bother! Women still do the bulk of the unpaid work in society. Men want to he paid and paid well for their efforts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes, I find this comment interesting. I have never seen any evidence that gender makes for a better cook. I have some male friends who are great cooks and some female friends that a great cooks, I have some male friends who are great at housework and some female friends that a great at housework, I have some male friends who are academically brilliant and some female friends who are academically brilliant. The list just goes on and on.

I personally find gender stereotyping really strange. I just don't get it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I personally think men *generally* make better chefs/cooks because alot of men *generally* are fussier with food. They want it to taste amazing where as most women *generally* have the goal of just feeding their family a good meal. Women want the bellies full and men want the org@sm in the mouth experience.....*generally*

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    Men want to he paid and paid well for their efforts.
    Yanno... That's a fairly sexist generalisation, too. Men don't 'want' to be paid more- men often work in industries where the culture is to chase the money rather than do a good honest job. And society still tells men that they must be the bread winners, and must win at all costs, even at cooking. It's not that men inherently want lots of money, they have it drummed into them that their worth as a man is tied into their worth as a worker.

Sent from my HTC One SV using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-05-2013),ChickyBee  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What I want to know is - if the theme was "Asian chefs" vs "European chefs" and the ad was full of racial stereotypes, would people still think it was all harmless fun?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (17-05-2013),ChickyBee  (17-05-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    What I want to know is - if the theme was "Asian chefs" vs "European chefs" and the ad was full of racial stereotypes, would people still think it was all harmless fun?
    Yes, they probably would. Only if it were bogans vs snobs would people get up in arms. Apparently in Bubhub land, the worst stereotyping you can do is of middle class people as bogans, and high income earners as money hungry snobs. Start a thread and see how long it takes for people to go ape about 'stereotyping'

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (17-05-2013),shelle65  (17-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Yanno... That's a fairly sexist generalisation, too. Men don't 'want' to be paid more- men often work in industries where the culture is to chase the money rather than do a good honest job. And society still tells men that they must be the bread winners, and must win at all costs, even at cooking. It's not that men inherently want lots of money, they have it drummed into them that their worth as a man is tied into their worth as a worker.

But it's true!! Ok well fair enough, but my comment comes off the back of the fact women do actually do the bulk of the unpaid work in society (fact).

And also industry demographics (ie. teaching - there's equal quantities of females and males in higher-paying teaching roles and head roles (possibly more males actually?) but in the lower end (childcare/primary) males are scarce). There are similar patterns across other industries.

Oh and even my partnered friends joke at how their husbands/partners carry on as if they deserve a nobel prize just for cooking a meal, or cleaning the bathroom lol

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    *sigh* I never said my opinion was fact...it was just my opinion based on my experiences. Didnt mean to cause such offence and eye rolling. Silly me forgot what good an opinion is on a forum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the replies. I don't like the ads, and I especially don't like that my DS repeats them and has a swipe at DH because I do most of the cooking (not an issue for me but DH isn't really Jamie Oliver lol).

Something I just thought of, would it be as sexist if it was Brothers V's Sister or Husbands V's Wives? Is it the whole men v's women gender issue (therefore the above has to be an issue to) or just the way they are plugging the ads?