+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 151
  1. #131
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    8,806
    Thanks
    7,267
    Thanked
    9,720
    Reviews
    5
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amiedoll View Post
    No I'm not, I said I found the ad very tongue in cheek (which I think points out how ridiculous stereotyping is) . I mentioned I didn't notice gender bias in previous seasons in a follow up post.



    Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    Yes but as a pp said, it's not being done tongue in cheek when the whole season is aimed at selling a gender vs gender battle. Instead of making fun of the stereotypes or challenging them, they are instead reinforcing them. It's a shame, they could have had a lot more fun turning such stereotypes around.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (15-05-2013)

  3. #132
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    386
    Thanks
    180
    Thanked
    370
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I personally think men *generally* make better chefs/cooks because alot of men *generally* are fussier with food. They want it to taste amazing where as most women *generally* have the goal of just feeding their family a good meal. Women want the bellies full and men want the org@sm in the mouth experience.....*generally*
    Gah!! Sorry London if I seem harsh, but really, this is the type of sexist comment that really peeves me. Just because you say *generally* doesn't make it any less of a completely unfounded generalisation about how men and women think and behave. I would be pretty confident that you have absolutely zero evidence to back up your assumption.

    See, these types of sexist generalisations are really encouraged by the gender stereopyping that is on TV. When these stereotypes are reinforced over and over again in the media, people subconsciously start to absorb them and assume they are the natural order of things, when in fact there is no reason to believe that they are.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

    Atropos  (15-05-2013),beebs  (15-05-2013)

  5. #133
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    2,017
    Thanked
    829
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree Meg2...articulated brilliantly....

  6. #134
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in Vic...Bubhubbing!
    Posts
    2,288
    Thanks
    302
    Thanked
    526
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In reference to the ad for Masterchef, I am going to wait and see what the show is like before declaring war on the show. Sure the ad may offend some but maybe in the end the show itself may take on a different angle.

    Just sayin'

  7. #135
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    2,017
    Thanked
    829
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a slight girl crush on you London so as difficult as it is to disagree, I have to say that Meg2 expresses my thoughts on this so much better than I could.

    Men are the "leaders" in whatever field they want to be because we live in a society that privileges men...even after feminism...the only fields that aren't male dominated are the ones they do not want to dominate, ie, some caring professions like nursing, social work...or low "status" professions like cleaning etc
    Last edited by Albert01; 15-05-2013 at 11:26.

  8. #136
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    2,017
    Thanked
    829
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    PS, I don't think men go around actually trying to oppress women...not the majority, anyhow.

    It's just that we live in a society whose institutions are set up in a certain way and it takes a long, long time to create any meaningful change.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

    sockstealingpoltergeist  (15-05-2013)

  10. #137
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Haunted House
    Posts
    10,891
    Thanks
    1,538
    Thanked
    1,568
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I personally think men *generally* make better chefs/cooks because alot of men *generally* are fussier with food. They want it to taste amazing where as most women *generally* have the goal of just feeding their family a good meal. Women want the bellies full and men want the org@sm in the mouth experience.....*generally*
    I'll take an orgasm wherever I can get it.

    That said I'm an awesome orgasmic cook and person in general.

    My ex would eat anything. I mean anything, I think his taste buds were made of turds. So everything else tasted great to him.

  11. #138
    London's Avatar
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    11,392
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    4,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I also said "I personally think" ....its my opinion and Im fine to have it just like others are fine to have theirs

    I personally am a terrible cook......meanwhile DP is awesome and so are alot of other males I know. Gone are the days when men dont cook at all (well..mostly gone) .....with people divorcing etc. etc. men are now being forced to cook and some are brilliant at it...some are also sh!t at it...just like some women are great in the kitchen and some are like me.

    Anywho, I stick to both my posts.....I dont have an issue with gender bias/sexist type comments cos it just doesnt phase me....I understand and respect that others do and thats their prerogative. Men vs women in a tv show is just not something Im fussed about.

  12. #139
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked
    13
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I personally think men *generally* make better chefs/cooks because alot of men *generally* are fussier with food. They want it to taste amazing where as most women *generally* have the goal of just feeding their family a good meal. Women want the bellies full and men want the org@sm in the mouth experience.....*generally*
    Can I ask if yourve ever worked in a commercial kitchen?

  13. #140
    London's Avatar
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    11,392
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    4,936
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifi8325 View Post
    Can I ask if yourve ever worked in a commercial kitchen?
    Never. Ive said Im a terrible cook so......no.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

    Fifi8325  (15-05-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Julia Gillard calls Abbott for his sexist views/comments
    By SpecialPatrolGroup in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 11-10-2012, 23:40
  2. Sexist? Or not?
    By Misschief in forum General Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-08-2012, 09:07
  3. Women feel sexist at age 28?
    By jessdon in forum General Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 25-07-2012, 07:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
The Health Hub
Give a new mum a fitness boost for Christmas & New Year. Studio-based, small group training sessions - cardio, strength, core, Pilates & boxing. Choice of 16 hrs per week, flexible-arrival feature - bubs & kids welcome! Gift vouchers available.
featured supporter
Baby Sensory
Baby Sensory is the only baby programme that offers a complete approach to learning & development. Our classes offer an exciting world full of fun sensory experiences for parents and babies to enjoy.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!