+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    At the risk of being attacked, I thought it was a bit one-sided. I do vax, but am one of the 'middle 80%' that is not staunchly pro or anti, and chooses to do it because I do believe the benefits outweigh the risks. But I do so reluctantly, as I do worry about long-term side effects.

I kind of felt it just skimmed over everything, and dismissed any parents' very real experiences with adverse reactions, like every kid who had a reaction is predisposed somehow. Which may be the case- who knows, but I dunno, I guess I just thought it would present both sides a bit more, but it really only presented one side.

Problem is .. That there isn't really any evidence for them to show with vax reactions ( apart from underlying issues or small reactions like swelling and slight fever ) .. Believe me they looked and searched ...all over the world ..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't really feel one side 'won' fairly though. I felt that the argument regarding some predisposition to neurological (???) problems that often presents itself around the time of MMR was very interesting, and made me wonder if testing for that gene or whatever it was is available. I wonder if that IS responsible for most of the changes people see in there kids? But I just felt they kind of glossed over the very real risks of vaccination by only presenting problems that the kids were predisposed to, like its never the vaccines fault, which is not true.

I also wish they had discussed long-term issues, people are worried about things like a link between vaccines and auto-immune dysfunction, rise in allergies etc. Also would be interesting to have discussed the way so many illnesses are vaccinated against now, and all at once. THIS is what non-vaxxers are concerned about but it wasn't mentioned at all. And the reason WHY so many are in the schedule, because I have doubts that its all to protect us (ie I believe some are based on economic reasons).

I feel it would've reinforced people's pro-vax stance (which is good, as I do believe vaccinations are important) but did little to really address non-vaxxers concerns, or validate their concerns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I suppose that makes sense. I just get annoyed when homeopathy is mentioned in the same league as immunology or any other science based area of medicine.
    But he was saying how the founder of homeopathy was a vax supporter ..I think that is fantastic !

One of my fav lines in doco ..

" We all want to have a vaccine and the kid is fine ..and the kid goes out into the world and never gets sick . That's the story we all want ,. But we never see that story".
    Dr Brian Zikmund-Fisher

There is another one he says .. Have to find it again ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    Problem is .. That there isn't really any evidence for them to show with vax reactions ( apart from underlying issues or small reactions like swelling and slight fever ) .. Believe me they looked and searched ...all over the world ..
    That's not true. People DO have horrible reactions. They are rare, but they are very real but rarely taken seriously and often dismissed.

If I were a non-vaxxer, I would've seen the doco as scare-mongering and same old, same old. Even as a vaxxer, I got a bit sick of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am pro vax, and all my 3 children are up to date, but I do think reactions get swept under the rug.

After my daughter had her 4yo vaxes, she had very bad fever, was really lethargic and appeared really sick for 3 days afterwards. I went to 2 doctors who said it was just a coincidence and that it wasn't from her injections at all, but I know it was.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's not true. People DO have horrible reactions. They are rare, but they are very real but rarely taken seriously and often dismissed.

If I were a non-vaxxer, I would've seen the doco as scare-mongering and same old, same old. Even as a vaxxer, I got a bit sick of it.

Not sure if you have been on the SBS site .. But they searched and searched for people to participate regarding any serious reactions that have been noted as caused purely by vax ..

Shame you felt it was same old same old ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I am pro vax, and all my 3 children are up to date, but I do think reactions get swept under the rug.

After my daughter had her 4yo vaxes, she had very bad fever, was really lethargic and appeared really sick for 3 days afterwards. I went to 2 doctors who said it was just a coincidence and that it wasn't from her injections at all, but I know it was.
    Maybe she had a bug and it appeared after vax ... That's the problem .. Often kids get sick .. Bad timing with vax .. Vax gets blamed .. Mum goes online saying vax made her kid sick .. The word spreads ... People get scared vax numbers drop ..

By all means if the vax made her sick ... I am very sorry though .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I thought it was great, I thought it was really interesting learning about the history as well.

I agree with others though, I thought they should have shown an adverse reaction that wasn't genetic, and anaphylactic reaction or something. Other than that I think ti was done really well done.

The problem is that some people what a "balanced" debate. There is no balanced debate with this.

On the one had you have irrefutable science that shows that in most cases vaccinating is safe and effective and shows that yes, sometimes mistakes are made and reactions happen - very rarely.

On the other side you have groups like AVN and Whale who spread lies. They are actually lies. Like for example that "rubella in Pregnancy is "laughable" and only causes damage to around 6% of babies." Yes, that is what they said - of course not one bit of evidence to back it up. All we need to do is look up the states health department stats on CRS to see that is is FAR higher than that, and most babies died.

You cannot have balance, when you want people like that interviewed. Or as that wonderful doctor said from SAVN on the Project, should we have a panel on the 2nd world war and invite a holocaust denier? No, we wouldn't do that, so why should we invite people who lie into the vaccine debate.

Don't you think it was telling that the head of the biggest homeopathic practise in the UK believes in vaccinations.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (27-05-2013),HazTechDad  (27-05-2013),HollyGolightly81  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    Maybe she had a bug and it appeared after vax ... That's the problem .. Often kids get sick .. Bad timing with vax .. Vax gets blamed .. Mum goes online saying vax made her kid sick .. The word spreads ... People get scared vax numbers drop ..

By all means if the vax made her sick ... I am very sorry though .
    Look, she got over it, and I know I did what was best for her, but she never gets sick like that and it was within 24 hours of the vax. She had the vax the day before daycare, the next day they called me because of her high temperature. Could be a coincidence, but I don't believe that is so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would have liked more information, maybe a mini series? Is it ever going to be enough though? Majority of the anti vaxxers that I know wouldn't acknowledge information disproving their beliefs. There IS reputable information out there giving proven explanations but it's never good enough.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (28-05-2013)