+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow great doco!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh haven't watched it, hope it's online or repeated!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great show we're pro vax and we loved it (we both hot choked up a few times though). I thought it was balanced without giving the anti vax extremists attention or credibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At the risk of being attacked, I thought it was a bit one-sided. I do vax, but am one of the 'middle 80%' that is not staunchly pro or anti, and chooses to do it because I do believe the benefits outweigh the risks. But I do so reluctantly, as I do worry about long-term side effects.

I kind of felt it just skimmed over everything, and dismissed any parents' very real experiences with adverse reactions, like every kid who had a reaction is predisposed somehow. Which may be the case- who knows, but I dunno, I guess I just thought it would present both sides a bit more, but it really only presented one side.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-05-2013),HarvestMoon  (27-05-2013),Me&MrMagoo  (26-05-2013),MissMarie86  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I only got to watch half before the TV was hijacked for the F1 😠

Somehow the message to press record wasn't understood so I'm hoping for a repeat so I can watch the whole thing before commenting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: JABBED Sunday May 26th at 8:30pm on SBS One

Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    At the risk of being attacked, I thought it was a bit one-sided. I do vax, but am one of the 'middle 80%' that is not staunchly pro or anti, and chooses to do it because I do believe the benefits outweigh the risks. But I do so reluctantly, as I do worry about long-term side effects.

I kind of felt it just skimmed over everything, and dismissed any parents' very real experiences with adverse reactions, like every kid who had a reaction is predisposed somehow. Which may be the case- who knows, but I dunno, I guess I just thought it would present both sides a bit more, but it really only presented one side.
    Regarding dismissing experiences, I think that comes down to whether or not you're willing to believe science. They were giving proven logical reasons as to why some people do have 'vaccine reactions'.

I can understand why people would see it as one sided/biased but the truth is, vaccines fall in the pro section, ... The doco is supposed to be factual, they aren't exactly going to have Andrew Wakefield on there giving his opinion on the matter, iykwim?
    Last edited by atomicmama; 27-05-2013 at 03:01.

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (27-05-2013),Anjalee  (27-05-2013),Ashram  (27-05-2013),beebs  (27-05-2013),Busy-Bee  (27-05-2013),giggle berry  (27-05-2013),MissMuppet  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post

I think it did present both sides. It showed some very common "anti vax" concerns and was able to explain what happens in these cases in a scientific and rational way. I think it was good at showing how things can get spread and misinterpreted over the Internet etc without any scientific evidence and it becomes "fact" but really on closer examination the truth is discovered .
    They showed the negative aspects of vax with all the Info re live vaccines/ bad batches etc and then showed how they have addressed it.

I guess it might have seemed like one side "won" . but I think that is because one side of the argument is based on science and the other side is often individuals without qualification drawing conclusions that can be disproven with science.
    So one side does and will "win" in any credible debate unless the other side can get facts to back up arguments.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ashram For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (27-05-2013),Anjalee  (27-05-2013),atomicmama  (27-05-2013),beebs  (27-05-2013),Busy-Bee  (27-05-2013),giggle berry  (27-05-2013),MissMuppet  (27-05-2013),Mod-Degrassi  (27-05-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I thought it was interesting but I couldn't watch some of the very sad stories. That story of the young girl and meningacocal (s[?) was heart breaking, DS is exactly the same age when she died.

I was disappointing that one of the key people being interviewed advocating vaccines was a homeopathy supporter. If you're going to advocate for science/evidence based medicine then I would argue there is a mismatch if you then also support homeopathy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I was disappointing that one of the key people being interviewed advocating vaccines was a homeopathy supporter. If you're going to advocate for science/evidence based medicine then I would argue there is a mismatch if you then also support homeopathy.
    I suspect that was done because many people who use homeopathy are anti-vaccination. Putting a high profile homeopath on there supporting vaccination would appeal to that group.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HazTechDad For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (27-05-2013),beebs  (27-05-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by HazTechDad View Post
    I suspect that was done because many people who use homeopathy are anti-vaccination. Putting a high profile homeopath on there supporting vaccination would appeal to that group.
    I suppose that makes sense. I just get annoyed when homeopathy is mentioned in the same league as immunology or any other science based area of medicine.