+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    As a non-vaccinator myself i didn't learn anything i didn't already know and it hasn't made me reconsider my choice to not vaccinate my children. I don't feel it covered some of the issues some non-vaccinators are concerned about which was surprising, i would of thought they would of covered vaccine ingredients at least. I would of also liked to hear more about adverse reactions that aren't linked to predisposed illnesses, like my step brother but tbh i expected them to be swept under the carpet. It would of also been interesting to hear about how the vaccination schedule has changed over history and into currant times, a lot of non-vaccinators/delay vaccinators feel the schedule is very intense with very little longterm knowledge.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't watched it yet. Ill try to make some time this week as its a very interesting subject to me, I hardly ever make it to bubhub these days. I have heard from a lot of non-vaxers that they didn't like it, it was biased etc.. In general I would assume that non-vaxers will never be swayed by facts or a documentary like this as for many, it is not a decision made based on scientific research. In fact I think a lot of anti vaxers are not trusting of science, medicine, doctors, the health/pharmaceutical industry. A lot of them make their choice based on feelings; fear of adverse reactions, concerns about unknown outcomes in the future or "gut feelings", and also a lot of the time it seems to be tied in with particular ideologies.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-05-2013),Gracie's Mum  (28-05-2013),happy wanderer  (10-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    As a non-vaccinator myself i didn't learn anything i didn't already know and it hasn't made me reconsider my choice to not vaccinate my children. I don't feel it covered some of the issues some non-vaccinators are concerned about which was surprising, i would of thought they would of covered vaccine ingredients at least. I would of also liked to hear more about adverse reactions that aren't linked to predisposed illnesses, like my step brother but tbh i expected them to be swept under the carpet. I would of also been interesting to hear about how the vaccination schedule has changed over history and into currant times, a lot of non-vaccinators/delay vaccinators feel the schedule is very intense with very little longterm knowledge.
    Why would you expect it to be swept under the rug?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by headoverfeet View Post
    As a non-vaccinator myself i didn't learn anything i didn't already know and it hasn't made me reconsider my choice to not vaccinate my children. I don't feel it covered some of the issues some non-vaccinators are concerned about which was surprising, i would of thought they would of covered vaccine ingredients at least. I would of also liked to hear more about adverse reactions that aren't linked to predisposed illnesses, like my step brother but tbh i expected them to be swept under the carpet. It would of also been interesting to hear about how the vaccination schedule has changed over history and into currant times, a lot of non-vaccinators/delay vaccinators feel the schedule is very intense with very little longterm knowledge.
    Could you elaborate on your concerns a little re:

- What is it about vaccine ingredients that concerns you?
    I have quite a lot of info on these

- What adverse reactions, and why do you think they would be concealed?
    Adverse events (AEFI) are already well documented and published in many countries, including Australia.

- What about the current schedule concerns you, and/or what vaccines do you think are not required or lack testing?
    The program did touch on HPV, MMR, Varicella and Pneumococcal which are some of the newer/more controversial vaccines with non-vaxxers.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HazTechDad For This Useful Post:

beebs  (28-05-2013),Gracie's Mum  (28-05-2013),happy wanderer  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by our3boys View Post
    I missed it is there a link to watch it online?
    You can watch it on the SBS website =) or if you have an iPad or iPhone, SBS OnDemand app.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to melab For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (28-05-2013),happy wanderer  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HazTechDad View Post

- What about the current schedule concerns you, and/or what vaccines do you think are not required or lack testing?
    The program did touch on HPV, MMR, Varicella and Pneumococcal which are some of the newer/more controversial vaccines with non-vaxxers.
    I can't speak for HOF and I actually am a vaxxer but admittedly one of my fears is the number of vaccines administered together and how many are received in the first 2yrs of life.
    I worry every time we go for jabs that it is a lot for such an immature immune system to cope with all at once.

I go ahead despite my fears because I do believe his little immune system needs to be as well armed as it can be. Especially since he is in contact with older children through child care.

If I was allowed the option to space them out though I think I would.

I'd appreciate it any info anyone has on research that can show that my fears are unnecessary.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (28-05-2013)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HazTechDad View Post
    Could you elaborate on your concerns a little re:

- What is it about vaccine ingredients that concerns you?
    I have quite a lot of info on these

- What adverse reactions, and why do you think they would be concealed?
    Adverse events (AEFI) are already well documented and published in many countries, including Australia.

I'm comfortable with my decision to not vaccinate, I have discussed all of these things with my cities immunisation clinic. I just think it would've been nice to see some of these concerns given air time and addressed. I didn't say concealed I said swept under the carpet, twice (from memory) they mentioned AR and both times they linked it to preexisting illnesses, fair enough if that's what happened in those cases but it's not always the case.

I didn't say 'not required' I said the current schedule as a whole is lacking testing and long term knowledge, I think what I said was quite clear?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by giggle berry View Post
    I can't speak for HOF and I actually am a vaxxer but admittedly one of my fears is the number of vaccines administered together and how many are received in the first 2yrs of life.
    I worry every time we go for jabs that it is a lot for such an immature immune system to cope with all at once.

I go ahead despite my fears because I do believe his little immune system needs to be as well armed as it can be. Especially since he is in contact with older children through child care.

If I was allowed the option to space them out though I think I would.

I'd appreciate it any info anyone has on research that can show that my fears are unnecessary.
    Yes pretty much this. I know pro-vaccers always come back with 'well you come into contact with a billion times more in everyday living' and I agree we do but it's the combination of all the ingredients that concerns me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hardline anti vaxxers were never going to be swayed by this doco. Much like creationists aren't swayed by scientific evidence.

They aren't the ones that need to be swayed, they make up a tiny percent of non vaxxers, the ones that this doco is good for are people who are having second thoughts, or the ones who just forget to do it, or don't bother to do it.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (28-05-2013),atomicmama  (28-05-2013),Busy-Bee  (28-05-2013),Gracie's Mum  (28-05-2013),Maybelline  (28-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Maybe not common here, but certainly measles is common in France, UK, America, Canada, basically everywhere where vax rates have dropped. Why one earth would we take the risk when we can actually see what is happening overseas.

Re the vaccines ingredients list, when I first read them, I was worried about it, when I did the (proper) research on each ingredient I felt a whole lot better about them. The key word her is "proper" though, you can't be getting your information from anti vaccine sites, of course they make it sound scary - that is the point.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (28-05-2013)