+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well yes, it is only a matter of time. After all the vax rate in Liverpool was 89% when they had that measles outbreak, ours is 90% and dropping.

If they made the shots single, wouldn't that just give the antivaxxers fodder so to speak? It would make them think, they were right, that something is awry with vaccines. When there just isn't the evidence to back them up.

It has been prove time and time again that there less adverse events with multi vaccines than with single vaccines. That is very telling to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Whooping cough and probably now measles yes. But many of the other illnesses are virtually gone in Australia, making the risk of getting them and then having a serious complication from them very low (like how all cases of polio in the US are from the vaccine kind of thing). I'm not saying its 'right', as obviously if everyone has that attitude, they WILL come back, and the risk-benefit ratio will change. Maybe thats what needed to remind us of WHY we fax? I dunno. Just regurgitating stuff I studied for my lastest assignment

I also think a lot of people WOULD vax against Pertussis if it were available as a single fax, but we don't have that option. Whooping cough scares the **** out of most people, the vaccine has been around forever, I think people would be more open to that if it were available. It kind of p!sses me off that they are now doing the same with the MMR and Varicella. Its not right that people will not have the option of choosing anymore (especially when the chances of fevers etc are higher with the combined- and you- collective might not worry about fever, but I prefer to avoid it if possible- which it is).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    I think maybe because the story is well known and the flu vax did cause serious health issues and is well known for that...not sure ..I will ask though..
    Do you know the people who did the doco? Tell them thumbs up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Do you know the people who did the doco? Tell them thumbs up!
    Jump on SBS site and tell them ... Far too much anti vax comments at the moment !
    Yes I know the people .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

beebs  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Jabbed will be free to watch for the next 4 days then you have to purchase DVD ..

I think it would be great to have a copy in every bounty bag or given with the blue book !!

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (27-05-2013),Atropos  (27-05-2013),giggle berry  (28-05-2013),Lauzy83  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There was a comment on the Facebook page from someone who had their child get the vaccinations separately but it came at a cost. I think it was in the UK but may be available here too?

ETA: I thought the Doco was great! I cried for poor little Osman.
    Last edited by Lauzy83; 27-05-2013 at 16:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was expecting more anti vaccinating crap but otherwise it was same old same old I found the whooping cough bit and the lady whose little miss died really hard to watch

Sent from my PP4MT-7 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMoosMum View Post
    I was expecting more anti vaccinating crap but otherwise it was same old same old I found the whooping cough bit and the lady whose little miss died really hard to watch

Sent from my PP4MT-7 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I enjoyed the doco. But yes I found the American family hard to watch mainly because my daughter has the same name and seeing it on a tomb stone really upset me. I am glad for my decision to vaccinate and felt for me a few things were clarified.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I enjoyed it! I found it very informing, but It was very hard to watch, had to stop 1/2 way last night & i watched the rest this morning.

I also found the American family who lost their daughter VERY hard to watch, only a month or so ago my son had meningococcal. We were so close to losing him & as she was telling her story it all hit a bit too close to home! And i am pro vax & my son is up to date with his vaccinations, so scary what can happen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I missed it is there a link to watch it online?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Whooping cough and probably now measles yes. But many of the other illnesses are virtually gone in Australia, making the risk of getting them and then having a serious complication from them very low (like how all cases of polio in the US are from the vaccine kind of thing). I'm not saying its 'right', as obviously if everyone has that attitude, they WILL come back, and the risk-benefit ratio will change. Maybe thats what needed to remind us of WHY we fax? I dunno. Just regurgitating stuff I studied for my lastest assignment

I also think a lot of people WOULD vax against Pertussis if it were available as a single fax, but we don't have that option. Whooping cough scares the **** out of most people, the vaccine has been around forever, I think people would be more open to that if it were available. It kind of p!sses me off that they are now doing the same with the MMR and Varicella. Its not right that people will not have the option of choosing anymore (especially when the chances of fevers etc are higher with the combined- and you- collective might not worry about fever, but I prefer to avoid it if possible- which it is).
    It's a lot more than just those two.

Rubella is still quite common, as is mumps. Pneumococcal and Meningococcal infections are still very common.

Tetanus is a bacteria in the environment, and so can never be wiped out completely through vaccination, and risk is not very relevant to herd immunity levels.

There is quite high potential to be exposed to Polio, as many people travel to and from countries where it's still endemic. And it lives in the environment.

Hep B is a very common illness in the community.

The above are just off the top of my head, but cover a sizeable chunk of the childhood vaccination schedule.

Perhaps there is a slim change that Polio or Diphtheria won't be required within a decade or so, but I can't see many others going that way for a long time. And what's to be gained by removing a single vaccine from a hexavalent shot anyway?

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HazTechDad For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (27-05-2013),bumMum  (28-05-2013),dancingchipmunk  (27-05-2013),IoS  (28-05-2013)