+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Saba Button was verified, and they are in the news all the time. I wonder why they didn't go on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Saba Button was verified, and they are in the news all the time. I wonder why they didn't go on?
    I think maybe because the story is well known and the flu vax did cause serious health issues and is well known for that...not sure ..I will ask though..

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is completely untrue. Sorry, but in 2011 40,000 people contracted whooping cough - that is only the ones that were diagnosed, it is still doing the rounds now. How on earth can the risk of a severe adverse reaction ie - about 1 in 1 million possibly be higher than that?
    Whooping cough and probably now measles yes. But many of the other illnesses are virtually gone in Australia, making the risk of getting them and then having a serious complication from them very low (like how all cases of polio in the US are from the vaccine kind of thing). I'm not saying its 'right', as obviously if everyone has that attitude, they WILL come back, and the risk-benefit ratio will change. Maybe thats what needed to remind us of WHY we fax? I dunno. Just regurgitating stuff I studied for my lastest assignment

I also think a lot of people WOULD vax against Pertussis if it were available as a single fax, but we don't have that option. Whooping cough scares the **** out of most people, the vaccine has been around forever, I think people would be more open to that if it were available. It kind of p!sses me off that they are now doing the same with the MMR and Varicella. Its not right that people will not have the option of choosing anymore (especially when the chances of fevers etc are higher with the combined- and you- collective might not worry about fever, but I prefer to avoid it if possible- which it is).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    She quoted me, so pretty sure she was talking to me???
    The first paragraph seemed specific to you, but the second more general. That's the way I interpreted it anyway (may be wrong).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    She quoted me, so pretty sure she was talking to me???
    BigRedV, my fault for not being clearer, but first para response to your post, second a general comment. I also think it was wrong for doctors to dismiss your concerns :-(

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zabella For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Whooping cough and probably now measles yes. But many of the other illnesses are virtually gone in Australia, making the risk of getting them and then having a serious complication from them very low (like how all cases of polio in the US are from the vaccine kind of thing). I'm not saying its 'right', as obviously if everyone has that attitude, they WILL come back, and the risk-benefit ratio will change. Maybe thats what needed to remind us of WHY we fax? I dunno. Just regurgitating stuff I studied for my lastest assignment

I also think a lot of people WOULD vax against Pertussis if it were available as a single fax, but we don't have that option. Whooping cough scares the **** out of most people, the vaccine has been around forever, I think people would be more open to that if it were available. It kind of p!sses me off that they are now doing the same with the MMR and Varicella. Its not right that people will not have the option of choosing anymore (especially when the chances of fevers etc are higher with the combined- and you- collective might not worry about fever, but I prefer to avoid it if possible- which it is).
    the thought that the illness isn't in Australia so the risk is low..well the doco covered that!
    Last edited by Maybelline; 28-05-2013 at 08:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my gosh, that is heartbreaking, I didn't know about her (proof I do not read sensationalist media against Vax? ).

I'm just guessing, but maybe they are not anti-vax and didn't want to present as such/ Also I can imagine they probably don't want to be defined by that even too maybe? How sad, and thats why people are so wary, because that vaccine was not tested for use in young kids which is appalling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    Polio is in Pakistan (and other countries)..people travel to Australia from there ..like the case of polio in Melb last year..guy from Pakistan..

the thought that the illness isn't in Australia so the risk is low..well the doco covered that!
    I don't really want to argue about vaccination, as I am, like you, pro-vax, but the fact you can state the only case of polio in Australia outlines how rare it is in our country. I KNOW and have said, that YES these diseases will come back if people decide not to vaccinate on these grounds, just like measles has, when it was almost eradicated. HOWEVER, as the doco showed when talking about that boy that got polio from the vaccine (which he was pre-disposed to of course, not the vaccines fault), in the US, the only cases of polio were those that people got through the vaccine. So in that case (and the case of other diseases), the risk of vaccinating can be higher than the risk of the disease, FOR that person, in that country, at that time.

Anyway, as someone said, people only see what they want to see, I'm tired of this old debate, I just hate how non-vaxers are treated like they are stupid.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I don't really want to argue about vaccination, as I am, like you, pro-vax, but the fact you can state the only case of polio in Australia outlines how rare it is in our country. I KNOW and have said, that YES these diseases will come back if people decide not to vaccinate on these grounds, just like measles has, when it was almost eradicated. HOWEVER, as the doco showed when talking about that boy that got polio from the vaccine (which he was pre-disposed to of course, not the vaccines fault), in the US, the only cases of polio were those that people got through the vaccine. So in that case (and the case of other diseases), the risk of vaccinating can be higher than the risk of the disease, FOR that person, in that country, at that time.

Anyway, as someone said, people only see what they want to see, I'm tired of this old debate, I just hate how non-vaxers are treated like they are stupid.

I have also had enough vax stuff for a while..

have a nice day!
    Last edited by Maybelline; 28-05-2013 at 08:42.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (27-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    you too