+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Modern cloth nappies

Hi there, I am currently 18weeks an looking into modern cloth nappies as we are on a farm and have to dispose of our own garbage and only do so once every six weeks. By then the old disposables would be fairly stinky!

I can't believe how many types there are- all in ones, pocket style etc.

What do other mums recommend with brand, style and types? Should I buy a few different brands and types and see what works best or is that silly?

does anyone else have a septic tank and flush the bamboo liners down? Does it ever cause any issues with blockages?

Sorry for the thousand questions any advice is greatly appreciated xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    A nappy library is a good place to start as you will be able to trial different brands.
    I personally use itti bitti nappies and I love them, I wouldn't use any other brand and recommend them highly.
    I can't answer your question about the flushable liners but have you thought about getting some fleece liners? You can get the material from spotlight and cut them out yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think the best thing is to buy a few and see what works for you. Even if you decide on one certain type different brands will work better for different babies! I can't give you a great deal of advice as I'm still preggers with number 1 but this is something I was told over and over.

I've gone with some old fashioned flats for newborn stage with pul covers, because the others I went for are one size fits all (pocket ones) but I've heard newborn legs are often too skinny and you can have leakage problems!

I'm sure once the morning crowd come on if you give this a bump you'll get some advice from some seasoned pros lol

Sent from my HTC One X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've got 3 in cloth (6 months thru to 3 years of age) and suggest you try 2-3 from a few brands and styles to decide what's best for you. I now run a nappy business selling pocket style nappies and inserts which work brilliantly for 2/3 of my kids- I'm yet to find one nappy that is perfect for all 3..... I do put every brand/style on all 3 but fit and comfort wise they all have their best fit

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found the bamboo liners not to work when he was little and breast fed. Their poop is pretty much water. So I changed to the fleece liners. Just rinse and wash. I now use my little ripple you can get them off eBay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Agree with the idea of trying different ones... I've only had the one bub in cloth so far, but which brands/styles etc. work best have changed a she has gotten older & changed in shape.

As for the liners, I personally wouldn't bother after the meconium is gone. I find them too much effort to bother with. We haven't had problems with staining, except when using nappy rash creams. Depends how much effort you want to go to trying to keep them in perfect condition.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was completely confused by all the different cloth nappies too!

I ended up getting itti bitti tutto, swaggers and bum genius 4.0. They were all highly recommended by friends so I just trusted them! And I'm really happy with all of them. It's nice to have a few different ones. I've never had any leakage problems and find washing them no problem.

I'm happy to answer any questions about the ones I've got :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have also tried numerous brands, and some would fit on one of the kids great, but then be terrible on the next.

I too recommend itti bitti, loved the trimness of them. Have got some osfm for this baby but they weren't available when I had the last one so not sure how they compare to the sized ones.

I remember hating pockets though, pulling the yucky inserts out sucked, much prefer fitted or all in ones.

I will be using flats or prefolds (looking at Real Nappies) for the newborn stage then going to the osfm, I don't think it is worth buying newborn or small size nappies as babies grow so fast.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou girls so much for your advice

Good feedback for the fleece liners, I think I will try the same. And I am now also thinking of using flats to and a few OSFM MCN or the first few weeks until bub starts to fill out incase it has skinny legs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have used flats from birth and I love them. I have a small amount of MCNs that I use when out and at night but at home we still use flats 95% of the time. They're cheap, dry almost immediately, and can be fitted so they don't leak! Excellent when she was a newborn

I would recommend something thin if you're only going to use them when your babe is young - muslin or something. I use standard terry flats and they are very bulky on a little babe. Next time I will use sized fleece covers for newborn stage too.