+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Umbilical hernia

Has anyone's baby had this? I think my baby may have one? Will it go away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes ds3 has one.

It really depends on where it is to whether or not it heals.

Ds is above his belly button so it is very unlikely to heal itself. Under the button it very common for them to heal on it own.

Our surgeon looked at ds when he was 6 weeks and reviewed at 11mths and will be reviewed again at 2 with the thinking that will operate then.

If he does have one be mindful of any unexplained super distressed crying and get the ER fair quickly.

I had one myself when I was pregnant with ds3 and had to emergency surgery at 2 am in the morning as my bowel started to strangulate. The pain was a thousand times worse than labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    this photo shows ds3's herina.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son had one, it went away on its own when he was about 6months old. I asked our GP about it & he said if it hadn't gone away by 12months thy would look into surgical options. He told me that their stomach muscles aren't always strong enough or closed to hold it all in =)