+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I know many Christians and practicing Catholics that support gay marriage, but for myself, I was raised Catholic but I was so against so many of the churches teachings regarding homosexuality (and many other things) that I walked away. I'm now an atheist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post

“Then the firstborn said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there is not a man on earth to come in to us after the manner of the earth. “Come, let us make our father drink wine, and let us lie with him that we may preserve our family through our father.” So they made their father drink wine that night, and the firstborn went in and lay with her father; and he did not know when she lay down or when she arose. On the following day, the firstborn said to the younger, “Behold, I lay last night with my father; let us make him drink wine tonight also; then you go in and lie with him, that we may preserve our family through our father.” So they made their father drink wine that night also, and the younger arose and lay with him; and he did not know when she lay down or when she arose.” Gen. 19:31-35
    Does that mean what I think it means?

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I know many Christians and practicing Catholics that support gay marriage, but for myself, I was raised Catholic but I was so against so many of the churches teachings regarding homosexuality (and many other things) that I walked away. I'm now an atheist.

I have nothing against catholics, I believe everyone has a right to believe what they want. But in saying that, I know quite a few people who have said exactly what you have said. I don't know enough about the denomination to know why, but I am constantly hearing people say "I was raised catholic but didn't believe in some of the teachings and so therefore I am now an atheist". I think it is so sad and it makes me wonder why this keeps happening. I'm sure it happens in many denominations but I suppose because the Catholics are more widespread (I think) and they are focused on more than other religions, you'd hear about it more. I personally don't agree with catholicism and if I were raised in that church I'm not sure I'd still be there either. In saying that, perhaps there are other denominations that are more suited to you?

Also, great to see so many people share my views. I really hope we can get to the stage where we wouldn't be looked down upon for having certain beliefs "against" our religion.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by cdlion View Post
    ...but I am constantly hearing people say "I was raised catholic but didn't believe in some of the teachings and so therefore I am now an atheist". I think it is so sad and it makes me wonder why this keeps happening.
    Forgive me if I've mus-interpretted but not believing in some of the teachings of the religion you were raised as doesn't make you atheist. Atheism is the belief that there is/are no deities, so no God, Yahweh, Allah, Zeus et al. Why would you be sad about this? Again, correct me if I"m wrong about this assumption but are you sad because you believe that an atheist can't have a fulfilling life because quite the opposite is true. I get a lot of satisfaction and fulfillment out of turning towards empirical evidence, rational thinking and science to answer all the biggy questions in life that no religion could fulfill.

Quote Originally Posted by cdlion View Post
    Also, great to see so many people share my views. I really hope we can get to the stage where we wouldn't be looked down upon for having certain beliefs "against" our religion.
    [/QUOTE]
    For what it's worth I have far more respect for someone who is able to bring their own critical thinking to their religion and it's set of beliefs than just accept them because they are part of their religious beliefs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Forgive me if I've mus-interpretted but not believing in some of the teachings of the religion you were raised as doesn't make you atheist. Atheism is the belief that there is/are no deities, so no God, Yahweh, Allah, Zeus et al. Why would you be sad about this? Again, correct me if I"m wrong about this assumption but are you sad because you believe that an atheist can't have a fulfilling life because quite the opposite is true. I get a lot of satisfaction and fulfillment out of turning towards empirical evidence, rational thinking and science to answer all the biggy questions in life that no religion could fulfill.
    No fair enough you made that assumption, I didn't explain myself very well. I think sad was the wrong word, confused is more appropriate. I didn't say not believing in some teachings make you an atheist, I meant that people turn away from the church because they don't believe in/agree with some teachings and will therefore become atheist.
    And I absolutely don't think atheists can't have fulfilling lives! Some of my best friends are atheists and never would I suggest that they are unfulfilled because they have no religion. I don't see them as any different. I was really just saying I think it's unfortunate that certain teachings turn people away from the religion they were raised in. Many people have been raised within religious families and grow up to choose a different path and I just wonder why that is. It was more a criticism of the church.
    But yes I do completely understand your question and I'm sorry if I came across judgmental in any way. Was not my intention.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsDL For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope that makes sense... I don't explain myself very well sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    Does that mean what I think it means?

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub
    Yes :what:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am a Christian, I haven't read all the replies, but here is MY opinion.

I have nothing against Gay and lesbian relationships, in fact 2 of my best friends (1 male and 1 female) are gay & lesbian.

At our church we were taught that these relationships were wrong, but like the OP said, in Gods eyes sins are sins. The only thing I think may be different here is the fact that gay and lesbian couples wouldn't confess to this 'sin' and then turn straight, but for eg if someone committed murder, they could confess their sin and NOT commit murder again therefore find redemption. (Hope I explained that properly). A person doesn't choose to be gay, but when you commit murder, that's a choice.

We all sin to some extent, and I think judgement should be left to God, not humans..

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (13-05-2013),MrsDL  (13-05-2013),steel magnolia  (13-05-2013),Stephii  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know this thread is rather old but I will reply anyhow. I am new to Christianity (having to become Christian to marry my husband). I have always struggled as what I believe and what I feel is right is frowned upon, especially in his family. I can't force myself to feel differently and say that gay marriage is wrong. Its not me and not who I am as a person and feel I would be giving up a part of me if I was to say that I do not support gay marriage. I was struggling as a Christian because of this and felt I don't belong. Reading this thread helped me a lot. Thanks!