+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    I don't believe that you can be 'practicing a religion..BUT...' for example people who say they are 'catholic BUT' openly support beliefs which are against the teachings of the church.
    You're with 'in communion' with the church or you aren't. We all struggle with different elements of church teaching at different points in our lives and I think that it is ok to acknowledge this (e.g. 'I really struggle to understand why the church doesn't allow same sex marriage') but to openly say you disagree with the teaching puts you out of communion with the church.
    Surely it's up to individuals to chose how they practice their religion? Not having this flexibility has echos of pre-reformation. People are capable of making their own moral judgements and defining their own version of their religion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I disagree with you. Just because I'm a catholic doesn't mean I want to force other non catholics to follow the religious beliefs of my church.

I can be a catholic and still disagree with its rules. The same way I can be Australian and disagree with its legislations.
    Touché!

I pity people who follow something blindly without using common sense. Yes, I even apply this to my support of the SOS books. Blind obedience is how society gets in pickles like the holocost and the institutionalized child abuse before the new Royal Commission.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (12-05-2013),atomicmama  (12-05-2013),beebs  (12-05-2013),HearMeRoar  (12-05-2013),oozzle  (12-05-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-05-2013),SassyMummy  (12-05-2013),~ElectricPink~  (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    I don't believe that you can be 'practicing a religion..BUT...' for example people who say they are 'catholic BUT' openly support beliefs which are against the teachings of the church.
    You're with 'in communion' with the church or you aren't. We all struggle with different elements of church teaching at different points in our lives and I think that it is ok to acknowledge this (e.g. 'I really struggle to understand why the church doesn't allow same sex marriage') but to openly say you disagree with the teaching puts you out of communion with the church.
    The bible contradicts itself. So religion is against itself it seems.

I believe in personal revelation and my personal views have come about via personal revelation.

I belong to a church that only 50ish years ago discriminated against 'black' people through their rules, it was a policy of 'the times' and was influenced by the prejudice of man. At the time many white people were aggrieved by this stance as they had personal revelation that their friends should be entitled to the same things, the church caught up eventually.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont think the bible contradicts itself. I think verses are cherry picked out, taken out of context and compared with another, usually also taken out of context and then seen as a condradiction. Where as upon further, deep examination its not actually so.

Christians are followers of christ. If you believe the bible to be the word of God ( i understand not all people who call themselves christian do) then it does strictly condem homosexuality. Not all sin is equal as the bible lists certain ones as the ultimate sins and ones that will prevent you from inheriting everlasting life. Of course even these sins can be forgiven if a person is repentant and changes their ways.

Ive heard it said that Christ didnt specifically condem homosexuality but he said that marriage was to be between a man and a woman and this arrangement was instituted by God. So anything outside of that arrangement would be fornication which he clearly stated was a sin against God.

And yes as a pp said there are several verses in the NT that mention homosexuality.

Just clarifying

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (12-05-2013)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by SoThisIsLove View Post
    I dont think the bible contradicts itself. I think verses are cherry picked out, taken out of context and compared with another, usually also taken out of context and then seen as a condradiction. Where as upon further, deep examination its not actually so.
    The Bible has many contradictions, I don't understand how you can believe it doesn't. Dictionary.com defines "contradiction" as
    A combination of statements, ideas, or features of a situation that are opposed to one another.
    Two examples:
    Genesis 1:20-21 and 26-27 Birds were created before Adam.
    Genesis 2:7 and 2:19 Birds were created after Adam.

Genesis 1:24-27 Animals were created before Adam.
    Genesis 2:7 and 2:19 Animals were created after Adam.

No one can completely live according to the doctrine of the Bible. This clip is a talk by a man who lived for a year with abosolute following of the bible. http://www.ted.com/talks/a_j_jacobs_...iblically.html

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

BlissedOut  (12-05-2013),FiveInTheBed  (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    How interesting would it be if the Bible was interpreted wrongly by those that follow it.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (12-05-2013),SassyMummy  (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    How interesting would it be if the Bible was interpreted wrongly by those that follow it.

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub
    Lol very!

I'm personally atheist, as a kid I had bible studies and went to church. Actually I have friends who are quiet religious and I've gone to church with them and ones that say grace I'm happy to hold their hands and be silent.

Why can't the rest of the planet give up the goat and let anyone who chooses to be as happy, angry and sad in marriage as straight couples join in?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Slyph For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    To those saying they have to either follow everything that the church says or nothing. Come on, no seriously, come on. Religion has evolved to a place where parts of the bible are no longer relevant, and in some cases actually completely illegal. So I say to you, why can you pick and choose what you believe in out of the bible, but others can't?

“Then the firstborn said to the younger, “Our father is old, and there is not a man on earth to come in to us after the manner of the earth. “Come, let us make our father drink wine, and let us lie with him that we may preserve our family through our father.” So they made their father drink wine that night, and the firstborn went in and lay with her father; and he did not know when she lay down or when she arose. On the following day, the firstborn said to the younger, “Behold, I lay last night with my father; let us make him drink wine tonight also; then you go in and lie with him, that we may preserve our family through our father.” So they made their father drink wine that night also, and the younger arose and lay with him; and he did not know when she lay down or when she arose.” Gen. 19:31-35

15. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    The Bible has many contradictions, I don't understand how you can believe it doesn't. Dictionary.com defines "contradiction" as

Two examples:
    Genesis 1:20-21 and 26-27 Birds were created before Adam.
    Genesis 2:7 and 2:19 Birds were created after Adam.

Genesis 1:24-27 Animals were created before Adam.
    Genesis 2:7 and 2:19 Animals were created after Adam.

No one can completely live according to the doctrine of the Bible. This clip is a talk by a man who lived for a year with abosolute following of the bible. http://www.ted.com/talks/a_j_jacobs_...iblically.html
    When people talk about the bible having contradictions, i take it to mean that its not harmonious and therefore false. As in it is completely at odds with itself with no reasonable explanation.

I certainly dont think christians are to live by the bible word for word as in regards to the OT, its not full of rules for us to follow, its an account of Gods people back then, the laws they were given and there is lessons in there for us but we are to follow the NT and Jesus' example.

Lets look at Genesis 2:19 in context. Including verse 18-20 it says "And God went on to say:
    “It is not good for the man to continue by himself. I am going to make a helper for him, as a complement of him.” Now God was forming from the ground every wild beast of the field and every flying creature of the heavens, and he began bringing them to the man to see what he would call each one; and whatever the man would call it, each living soul, that was its name. So the man was calling the names of all the domestic animals and of the flying creatures of the heavens and of every wild beast of the field, but for man there was found no helper as a complement of him"
    Its not saying that God created all the animals and birds after Adam after it spoke of creating them prior to man only a few verses before, but he was still continuing to do so and it suggests that he was still creating new animal kinds and bringing them to Adam to name.

It indicates that broader categories of plant and animal life began to be created by God when the earth had been brought to a stage of development suitable for a given type of creature life. This occured after it had been made suitable to be inhabited by man. The filling of these broad categories with many individual kinds of life, such as “flying creatures,” was a progressive, ongoing activity of God. This ongoing divine activity may have continued beyond the end of the creative day on which it commenced.
    Last edited by SoThisIsLove; 12-05-2013 at 20:27.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyway sorry OP

Back on topic