+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsmamma View Post
    I am also Catholic. Fully supportive and passionate about gay marriage. I know the catholic church is against gay marriage but it is 2013 and I am allowed to have an opinion separate to what my faith says I should have.

I don't believe that any Christian religion (or other religion) should be against gay marriage. It would be so wonderful to see gay marriage recognised and accepted in organised religion. I think religious leaders should have no say in the governments decision to legalise it as it has nothing to do with religion.

I have many gay friends who become so sad and angry when they hear people say that it should be 'tolerated'. They don't want people to be tolerant. They want acceptance. And that also applies for religion, Christian or otherwise. For what God teaches tolerance over acceptance.
    well said! Also, was told that the bible (new testament) doesn't actually say homosexuality is a sin - but I might be wrong!?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Please excuse me asking - and I promise I'm not doing so to nitpick - did you marry (or would you marry) according to the legal requirements or just what spiritual requirements your church has?

Marriage in Australia is legally a state institution but obviously there is a significant religious tradition behind it. None of the legal requirements relate to the Church - hence people can choose to use celebrants. But what about people who aren't interested in a marriage except that it is recognised by their church?
    I did marry in the church, to make our promise to God - DH & i are christians - but i resent that the state had to be involved in that. I believe marriage should be a purely religious tradition. If i just wanted to be "legally tied" to him, we would have just lodged the paperwork and not had a wedding. Personally, i didnt actually want the legal side of it. I would have preferred to have remained separate in the eyes of the law but thats just due to my own feminist views which are separate to this issue.

But to get back on topic...
    I just see a bigger picture here. There are so many other types of relationships that deserve recognition as well (for those that want it, unlike me). And i think demanding marriage rights for gays is very narrow-minded. I think to overhaul the definitions and legal rights of the entire spectrum of adult relationships would be energy much better spent!

I know a beautiful poligamous family - one man and three women (and their four children) where do you think they stand in the eyes of the law?!? And they arent actually religious, so "marriage" isnt what they are seeking anyway. But it would be nice for them to be able to legally formalise their union. As it currently stands in our society, they dont openly admit to their situation (which is sad that they feel they cant). I guess their relationship-type is as distateful to most as homosexuality was not so long ago. But they are such a beautiful and loving family - how are they less worthy than a gay couple or a hetero couple?

Sorry for the rant.
    Last edited by steel magnolia; 12-05-2013 at 08:44.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I also know plenty of agnostics and atheists who are against it... so I don't think it's strictly a religious issue, I think some people just use religion as a scapegoat for their hatred and bigotry.
    Of the agnostics and atheists you now are they older people or younger? My parents are both atheist and although I've never bought up the subject I would imagine they would shudder at the idea of gay marriage purely because it's so far apart from their comfort zone view of the world (they were born in 1931 and 1937 so are quite elderly).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellybel View Post
    well said! Also, was told that the bible (new testament) doesn't actually say homosexuality is a sin - but I might be wrong!?!
    I think there are quite a few versus in the NT condemning homosexuality , in Corinthians there definitely is and I think St Paul wrote something - cant remember exactly but last year my nieces year 9 class just did a debate on gay marriage and they quoted a few !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't believe that you can be 'practicing a religion..BUT...' for example people who say they are 'catholic BUT' openly support beliefs which are against the teachings of the church.
    You're with 'in communion' with the church or you aren't. We all struggle with different elements of church teaching at different points in our lives and I think that it is ok to acknowledge this (e.g. 'I really struggle to understand why the church doesn't allow same sex marriage') but to openly say you disagree with the teaching puts you out of communion with the church.

I've got nothing in particular against civil unions for people in same sex relationships, I believe that is different to a sacramental marriage so I'm a bit 'meh' about it and don't think it is of particular concern to me.

One reason I would be against it though is because the rights of a person or organisation to conscientiously object are quickly eroded once things are legalised in this manner (case in point would be how doctors in Victoria are no longer allowed to conscientiously to abortion even if it conflicts with their personal beleif system).

So I worry that religious ministers will end up being forced to perform these unions or risk legal consequences.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jellyfishie For This Useful Post:

lisa6111  (21-08-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm Orthodox and I 100% support gay marriage. Love is love at the end of the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Of the agnostics and atheists you now are they older people or younger? My parents are both atheist and although I've never bought up the subject I would imagine they would shudder at the idea of gay marriage purely because it's so far apart from their comfort zone view of the world (they were born in 1931 and 1937 so are quite elderly).
    I would say mostly older but some younger. I think I wouldn't willing interact with people my age bracket if they were opposed though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post
    I don't believe that you can be 'practicing a religion..BUT...' for example people who say they are 'catholic BUT' openly support beliefs which are against the teachings of the church.
    You're with 'in communion' with the church or you aren't. We all struggle with different elements of church teaching at different points in our lives and I think that it is ok to acknowledge this (e.g. 'I really struggle to understand why the church doesn't allow same sex marriage') but to openly say you disagree with the teaching puts you out of communion with the church.

I've got nothing in particular against civil unions for people in same sex relationships, I believe that is different to a sacramental marriage so I'm a bit 'meh' about it and don't think it is of particular concern to me.

One reason I would be against it though is because the rights of a person or organisation to conscientiously object are quickly eroded once things are legalised in this manner (case in point would be how doctors in Victoria are no longer allowed to conscientiously to abortion even if it conflicts with their personal beleif system).

So I worry that religious ministers will end up being forced to perform these unions or risk legal consequences.
    I disagree. Just because I don't agree with one thing they teach doesn't mean I am not 'in communion' with my church. Does this also apply to teachings like no sex before marriage, using contraception, obeying my husband??

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacobsmamma For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (12-05-2013),HearMeRoar  (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellyfishie View Post

I disagree with you. Just because I'm a catholic doesn't mean I want to force other non catholics to follow the religious beliefs of my church.

I can be a catholic and still disagree with its rules. The same way I can be Australian and disagree with its legislations.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (12-05-2013),atomicmama  (12-05-2013),HearMeRoar  (12-05-2013),steel magnolia  (12-05-2013),~ElectricPink~  (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CakeyMumma View Post
    BlissedOut - posts like this make me so proud to call you my friend. You are so passionate and eloquent. I could only hope to have a way with words like you do. Big love <3

As for the topic - I do not believe in a god and strongly support marriage equality. Very strongly. Same love.
    You made my morning, I'm so grateful for your friendship.