+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Christians supporting gay marriage

After a really intense conversation with DH a few nights ago, I decided to pose the discussion to BH to see if I'm the only one.

I am a Christian woman who supports gay marriage. I was born and raised in a Lutheran family and will have my beliefs till the day I die. I was taught indirectly that homosexuality is a 'sin'. I have lots of gay friends and I believe also that if they want to get married, they should be allowed to.
    My discussion with DH involved the argument that no sin is any worse than another in the eyes of God. So basically to him, homosexuality is no worse than telling a little white lie (we all do it)!

Dh is currently completely sitting on the fence with the issue but I have fallen off one side. I'm not ready to go announcing my beliefs to friends and family but they're there. I'm not ready to have the chat with people I know and love that disagree with it because I am expected to be against it. Maybe I'll get there someday.

Anyway, people who know me know I'm religious and I know that when I first met a few of my gay friends, they automatically assumed I didn't support their lifestyle just because I went to church. Is anyone else in my position? I could go on but this is getting long...

I don't mean to offend anyone, I know this could potentially be quite controversial. I just feel like the world is changing and we should be able to discuss these things without being judged.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsDL For This Useful Post:

Mathermy  (12-05-2013),~ElectricPink~  (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    I'm Catholic and 100% support gay marriage. It shouldn't even be an issue in this day and age IMO.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HearMeRoar For This Useful Post:

Mathermy  (12-05-2013),peanutmonkey  (11-05-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (11-05-2013),tamute  (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MerryR View Post
    I'm Catholic and 100% support gay marriage. It shouldn't even be an issue in this day and age IMO.
    What's taught in the Catholic Church though? Are you in the minority? Yes I agree it shouldn't be an issue

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a Christian and I 100% support gay marriage. Passionately.

It was actually a huge thing for me, and I "backslid" many a time due to the fact that my beliefs were at odds with the church I grew up in. I have so many friends who are gay, I could never believe that their love was any different than the love I have with DH.

I now go to a far more liberal church, I love that it is so welcoming and accepting.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

Mathermy  (12-05-2013),~ElectricPink~  (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am a firm believer that we don't know everything and we're not supposed to.

I think God created us as we are, that sexual preference is a thing of 'this' world and has it's purpose, be it a test or path of personal progress for the person who is homosexual, or a test or path of personal progress for the people who forget basic principles in favour of discriminating about these people, who are too children of God.

I think churches through the interference of men are holding prejudice and this too shall pass within time (hopefully sooner rather than later) and that new commandment to 'love one another' will prevail.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

delirium  (11-05-2013),gizmoduckus  (13-05-2013),HearMeRoar  (11-05-2013),Mathermy  (12-05-2013),MrsDL  (11-05-2013),NancyBlackett  (11-05-2013),risfaerie  (11-05-2013),smallpotatoes  (11-05-2013),steel magnolia  (11-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    I am a firm believer that we don't know everything and we're not supposed to.

I think God created us as we are, that sexual preference is a thing of 'this' world and has it's purpose, be it a test or path of personal progress for the person who is homosexual, or a test or path of personal progress for the people who forget basic principles in favour of discriminating about these people, who are too children of God.

I think churches through the interference of men are holding prejudice and this too shall pass within time (hopefully sooner rather than later) and that new commandment to 'love one another' will prevail.
    Totally as I believe.

Put more beautifully than I could say though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cdlion View Post
    What's taught in the Catholic Church though? Are you in the minority? Yes I agree it shouldn't be an issue
    The Catholic Church is very against it. My kids go to a Catholic school and I have met a lot of Catholic adults who share my view. I think it's very sad that the church has the view that it has, not only for gay marriage either.

I'm not overly religious but the God and Jesus that I grew up learning about would never have the views that so many Christian religions have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My aunt and uncle are both priests in Canada. They support gay marriage, as does their diocese.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (11-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am also Catholic. Fully supportive and passionate about gay marriage. I know the catholic church is against gay marriage but it is 2013 and I am allowed to have an opinion separate to what my faith says I should have.

I don't believe that any Christian religion (or other religion) should be against gay marriage. It would be so wonderful to see gay marriage recognised and accepted in organised religion. I think religious leaders should have no say in the governments decision to legalise it as it has nothing to do with religion.

I have many gay friends who become so sad and angry when they hear people say that it should be 'tolerated'. They don't want people to be tolerant. They want acceptance. And that also applies for religion, Christian or otherwise. For what God teaches tolerance over acceptance.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jacobsmamma For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (11-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm catholic and support gay marriage too.

I recently met with and spoke to the archbishop of Brisbane about this. He said the church itself had no issue with gay people themselves or any unions they might have. The issue was with legalizing gay marriage on the terms that there was no "nuptial joy" in a same sex marriage but wouldn't go beyond that.

told him he was wrong.

Anyhoo... the gist is that marriage as a term is strictly for heterosexual couples that can biologically procreate.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Mathermy  (12-05-2013)