+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely premium dry foods! They get an occasional can as a treat and get bones a couple of times a week!

We recently got them a small bag of pedigree because I didn't have time to get to the per supplier and they were pooing twice as often and they were much bigger and smellier!!! Never again!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DewDanni For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (11-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    SageS, yep beef bones are usually sold, especially in winter for soup/stock making. I often add in some chicken wings/drumsticks if they were on a super cheap special. Using chicken frames is ok, and gels really well, but picking out all the bones is a bit of a pain. I've also seen pork bones and lamb bones at the butcher.

You could probably add in some powdered gelatine if it looks like your mix is not going to set. Adding the extra chicken meat (or some really cheap gravy beef) adds meaty bulk to the jelly, and chicken drumsticks seem packed full of gelatine. But to be honest, our boy just loves it because its a tasty sauce (or if you chop it up then it's just like pet roll) so even if it was light on for meat he'd still love it. It's also an excellent place to use any meat you discovered at the back of the freezer with unforgivable, extensive freezer burn. And slightly soft/floppy carrots and celery.

ETA: DewDanni, you reminded me. Our boy also gets a big meaty bone quite regularly. I especially like the beef and lamb necks, or raw chicken carcasses. The marrow bones are easier to find, but to me they seem just a heap of marrow/fatty goodness, and not much bone/gristle/meat for him to slowly work through. His teeth are impeccably clean with no effort from us and he does love a good bone as a treat!
    Last edited by casio1; 11-05-2013 at 22:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We feed our German Shepherd purina pro plan. It's stupidly expensive but you don't feed her As much as a supermarket brand. It's what the breeder fed her as a puppy and we've kept her on it. She also has it mixed with boiling water and mince and we wait 10 mins for it to cool. She has this morning and night plus chicken wings and/or fresh bones. She will also have leftovers etc but not always. I find that this diet makes her poop easy to pick up (tmi but it's firm and doesn't smoosh everywhere even when fresh ewwww) so I'm not game to change it haha!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to spunkles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We feed our dog a premium dry food called Artem!s. (for some reason bubhub picks it up as a rude word)

It's more expensive than supermarket type dry foods, but the ingredients are top quality. Here is some info I found.

http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/p/...****-pet-food/

http://www.artemispetfood.com.au/about-us/

Now and then our dog also has
    - a nice big raw bone
    - apple
    - sometimes left overs (not that often)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mornings, royal canine medium
    Nights, leading raw (from guide dogs Qld)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kayem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours get advance large dog, it's expensive but you don't feed as much. They just aren't the same on any other brand!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ponytail For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feed my puppy raw food and dry puppy biscuits and he loves it. Beef, chicken necks, chicken wings, chicken carcass, pet mince, but I'm yet to find a dry biscuit he really likes. He has water bowls in the kitchen, front verandah and in the backyard

13. The Following User Says Thank You to missjay07 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our precious puppy has a food intolerance and had to have perscription food and steamed rice and chicken.....whatever you do please don't you supermarket dog food!!!! Spend the extra and give your puppy decent quality food

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mummtime101 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummtime101 View Post
    Our precious puppy has a food intolerance and had to have perscription food and steamed rice and chicken.....whatever you do please don't you supermarket dog food!!!! Spend the extra and give your puppy decent quality food
    Yep I've actually decided on an organic , grain free dry food for brekky and I'm going to make my own raw meat/vegg mix for her dinner at night!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

mummtime101  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ummm they get old sheep, roos and the occasional pig. With working dog biscuits when we haven't killed anything for a while. They also get lots of 'treats' at lamb marking (think about what gets removed from sheep, esp males)