+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dogs get supercoat large breed drys and homemade mince/liver/kidney, veg, rice/pasta, garlic and parsley I just chuck it in a big pot and boil, then freeze it in freezer bags I usually make enough for just over a week.
    I also give them raw egg and they get bones a few times a week.
    In summer I make them icy poles by boiling chicken frames and freezing the liquid (with carrot and meat cubes) in bowls.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sandy cheeks For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (11-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The vet advised us to just feed our puppy a good quality dried food (she is a Cane Corso). Although she does try to also eat the cats food lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Laylapie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post

If you pay out upfront for a quality premium dry (not a supermarket brand!), then you save money llong term as the serving sizes for premiums are smaller than cheaper brands, so it lasts longer And they're better for your dog!

*I can haz typos*
    ^^ This. Our 6yo Jack Russell is a working dog, running 5-20kms a day. He gets 1 metric cup of Holistic Select a day plus a little (1/5 a small can) canned food (eg. My Dog) or leftovers to add variety. When we run out and feed him 'premium' supermarket brands he's always hungry/eating/pooing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feed my Labrador breed specific Labrador royal canin. He was on sascha's blend for the first 18 months of life as he grew so quickly and I wanted to give his joints the best start possible. He didn't like science diet or eukanuba as it smelt a little fishy so he turned his more up.

Generally Vets recommend the most expensive premium dry dog food you can afford. They require less, and the dog will poo less as there is less bulking agents and the dog absorbs most nutrients with less waste.

Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bindy111 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Turned his *nose* up. He has been on royal canin Labrador his whole life

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bindy111 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Supercoat light and mature for our Lab x retriever vet recommended it to us.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've got a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Since puppy, his diet has been mostly Advance biscuits, at first the large breed puppy type, now the adult large breed dog type. As an adult he gets two meals, just to help spread the quantity out a bit (he's very active so lots of food).

Normally, we add ~2tbsp of very hot tap water to the biscuits, and swirl to mix. This dissolves just a little of the biscuits, enough to make a bit of a gravy. We then add about 1/2c of cold tap water so its not too hot to eat. Makes it smell stronger to encourage his appetite and gets him to drink a bit more water (he needs encouragement to drink enough, it's bizarre I know!).

For variety we add some of the following every day or two and mix into the biscuits:

-raw egg (we've got chooks)
    -a grated carrot or apple
    -a couple of tbsp of natural yoghurt
    -splash of olive oil or some fish oil tabs broken into the biscuits.

Sometimes I cook my own "dog roll" as a bit of a treat for him, then I just add a thin slice to his dry biscuits and mix in. All you need to do is slow cook chicken frames/beef bones/whatever cheaper bones you can find with some water, and I usually add a couple of carrots and other safe veggies and a little garlic. You just boil the daylights out of it, until the gelatine from the bones is dissolved. Remove bones, puree the mix with a stick blender, pour into a container and put in fridge. The stuff sets rock hard if there were enough gelatinous bones in the mix and no joke looks just like tucker time. You can slice it up and freeze chunks of it, so I just do a big batch up occasionally.

It's definitely worth forking out for better quality biscuits - some of our dog's playmates get fed cheaper supermarket stuff, they are much smaller breeds but get fed the same number of cups of biscuits a day as our 32kg boy, and they poo big sloppy poos EVERYWHERE all the time. It's a bit disturbing how much bulk filler there must be in those biscuits, and when we looked after MILs dog she got Advance for a while, her coat was so much nicer, her eyes were brighter, she put on much needed weight and she just looked really well in comparison to normal. So you might think it's $$, but you dont feed nearly as much. And our dog's poos are pretty compact and easy to manage in comparison. Gross, sorry if TMI, but we found a big difference.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to casio1 For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum  (11-05-2013),SageS  (11-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We feed our dog primarily a fresh food diet. She has left overs (no wheat, onion etc) or vets all natural with fresh meat. Occasionally we supplement with some premium dry food but not often. She came to us as a puppy on a fresh food diet and we have kept her on it. As previous posters have said it is worth paying more for good quality food. You will find your dog is healthier and happier, and cheaper vet bills

:-)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SageS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by casio1 View Post
    We've got a German Shorthaired Pointer.

Since puppy, his diet has been mostly Advance biscuits, at first the large breed puppy type, now the adult large breed dog type. As an adult he gets two meals, just to help spread the quantity out a bit (he's very active so lots of food).

Normally, we add ~2tbsp of very hot tap water to the biscuits, and swirl to mix. This dissolves just a little of the biscuits, enough to make a bit of a gravy. We then add about 1/2c of cold tap water so its not too hot to eat. Makes it smell stronger to encourage his appetite and gets him to drink a bit more water (he needs encouragement to drink enough, it's bizarre I know!).

For variety we add some of the following every day or two and mix into the biscuits:

-raw egg (we've got chooks)
    -a grated carrot or apple
    -a couple of tbsp of natural yoghurt
    -splash of olive oil or some fish oil tabs broken into the biscuits.

Sometimes I cook my own "dog roll" as a bit of a treat for him, then I just add a thin slice to his dry biscuits and mix in. All you need to do is slow cook chicken frames/beef bones/whatever cheaper bones you can find with some water, and I usually add a couple of carrots and other safe veggies and a little garlic. You just boil the daylights out of it, until the gelatine from the bones is dissolved. Remove bones, puree the mix with a stick blender, pour into a container and put in fridge. The stuff sets rock hard if there were enough gelatinous bones in the mix and no joke looks just like tucker time. You can slice it up and freeze chunks of it, so I just do a big batch up occasionally.

It's definitely worth forking out for better quality biscuits - some of our dog's playmates get fed cheaper supermarket stuff, they are much smaller breeds but get fed the same number of cups of biscuits a day as our 32kg boy, and they poo big sloppy poos EVERYWHERE all the time. It's a bit disturbing how much bulk filler there must be in those biscuits, and when we looked after MILs dog she got Advance for a while, her coat was so much nicer, her eyes were brighter, she put on much needed weight and she just looked really well in comparison to normal. So you might think it's $$, but you dont feed nearly as much. And our dog's poos are pretty compact and easy to manage in comparison. Gross, sorry if TMI, but we found a big difference.
    Ohhhh I will give this a go. Do you just ask butcher for beef bones? I have never made this before but looks easy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have two border collies, they get kibble - a middle of the range one (about $30 for a 20kg bag)
    They also get meat scraps and sometimes our left overs... Was very cute to see our female lying down with a big green bean up between her paws having a delicate chew.

We tried canned food for a tiny period of time years ago - made Poo picking up duty an absolutely disgusting experience.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post: