+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Studying at CSU via distance Ed??

So I am looking at taking up a bachelor of social science at Charles Sturt university studying by distance Ed.
    Just wondering if anyone has studied by distance through this uni before and how you found it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Whoknows; 08-09-2013 at 14:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am doing the B. Social Work at CSU and I find that two subjects per semester is my maximum if i want to continue with good grades. I have an 18month old at home and no family for respite. So I do my readings during DS day nap and sometimes more at night. Come essay time, I do lots of work on weekends when hubby is home to entertain DS as I find it easier to write an essay that flows over several hours rather than a couple hours each day. To each their own though.
    The forums are supportive and all the info you need is either online or posted to you.
    I much prefer distance Ed to attending uni in person.
    Good luck with your studies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummablue View Post
    I am doing the B. Social Work at CSU and I find that two subjects per semester is my maximum if i want to continue with good grades. I have an 18month old at home and no family for respite. So I do my readings during DS day nap and sometimes more at night. Come essay time, I do lots of work on weekends when hubby is home to entertain DS as I find it easier to write an essay that flows over several hours rather than a couple hours each day. To each their own though.
    The forums are supportive and all the info you need is either online or posted to you.
    I much prefer distance Ed to attending uni in person.
    Good luck with your studies!
    Thanks for your reply.
    Can I ask which social science degree you are studying specifically? I can't seem to find information about whether I would need to complete work placements or not.
    It sounds like the course keeps you very busy I'm a bit worried I won't cope with the workload.
    Last edited by Whoknows; 21-05-2013 at 14:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm doing a B. Social Work, not social science. If you email the contact person for the course you're interested in they will be able to answer all your questions. I'm not sure if you need to do prac.

Don't be too concerned. I'm sure you will be fine. It's takes a bit of getting used to and you need to be organised but it is so worth it. I allocate two hours per day to readings and then several hours over a weekend for an essay. It is doable.

You can always enroll in a ciuple of subjects and then read over your subject outline and assessments, see what you think of it and if you dont like it or dont think you can manage it you can avoid financial or academic penalty if you withdraw by the census date.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummablue For This Useful Post:

Whoknows  (13-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, I'm about to start with CSU doing a bit of internal and DE (im in Orange so I can mix it up) - I'm just doing single subject study this session so hopefully that will give me entry in to Bach Health and Rehab Science start of 2014.
    I have 3 under 5 yrs so I know it will be hectic. But I think once you get your groove on and get organised you will settle in. Just try to get ahead from the start, not behind- as we all now these little ones like to get sick at the worst times.
    Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hryan For This Useful Post:

Whoknows  (15-06-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think it depends on your personality. I have never studied through CSU but have done a short course online through another provider - I enjoyed being able to study in my own time but I found it really difficult to stay motivated & actually get the work done.

I did a B Social Work face-to-face and found that tough enough, don't think I could do it externally so big cudos to you!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to heartstringz For This Useful Post:

Whoknows  (15-06-2013)