+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thermomix

Hi All. I've finally convinced my DH that we need a thermomix. He has said it's fine as long as it is Mothers Day, Birthday and Christmas presents all rolled into one for the next 5 years. For owners out there please convince me that is worth the hefty price tag. I'm really excited about it but a bit nervous about such a huge expense whilst I'm on mat leave. TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mat leave is the perfect time to get a Thermomix really. You will be home a lot so will have time to experiment and work out how best to use it to suit you, but it's very "hands off" so it does the work while you are busy with the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was hesitant because of the price tag too and I wanted to make sure I got my money's worth. 18 months on I use it ALL the time. Pretty much every day, usually multiple times. I love it!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll be the negative nancy pants....

I brought one in June last year, used it less than 10 times to cook a full meal. Less than 20 as 'pre-cook' preparation. So basically I've paid $2k for a blender.

I REALLY need to start using it more, so I've booked a few cooking classes and ordered a new cookbook this week. I should be using it more, I'm crazy and have no excuse.

I'd highly recommend attending some cooking classes, check website for your area. They are usually $15 but you get to eat all the food. Usually about 8 dishes are cooked in front of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a demonstration recently and was really underwhelmed by it!

My Mum offered to buy us one, but I couldn't even see the value in one that I didn't pay for. So many of the selling features are things that would hardly get used. I have never had the desire to churn my own butter....

I think there are similar products on the market that do just as good a job without the ridiculous price tag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I very rarely use it to make a whole meal. I will again soon when I get through the freezer worth of food that was cooked for us when DS was born.

However I use it nearly every day for rice, steaming veggies, making pesto etc. it can seem like a big blender but I figure even if I'm only using it for these things it is doing the job of a steamer, blender, rice cooker, beater. And as I say I will use it again soon and I am still in love with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love my thermy! I personally wouldn't buy one for myself (it was a gift) but we have converted nearly all our regular recipes to be made in it. I love that I can cook a whole meal in it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I LOVE mine. I use it in two main ways:

The "I can't be bothered cooking tonight, I'll let the thermy do it" and the "I want to get really creative, let's bust out some impressive stuff"

For the I can't be bothered I have a load of recipes where you throw everything in, and let it do it's thing. The most you have to do is cut stuff in quarters and it's all done.

On the other hand I love it for home made pizza dough, breads, short crust pastry, choux pastry, custards, sauces and on and on. YES most of these things can be done by hand, but it is a lot quicker in the thermomix and after only one or two goes, very fool proof. Making choux pastry from scratch used to be a mission and now I can whip up profiteroles in no time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend has one and she's whipped up some lovely things in it. I'd love one too but the price tag scares me!

I did read that you will need to attend a demo or at least cooking classes/tips class or else it will be little value I think someone above said it was a 2k blender? Lol I could imagine that happening.

I would definitely attend some classes or get the girls together for a demo. I have seen some groups and forums out there for thermy users too so that might help with recipes and tips from experienced thermy users.

~Isla Rohmaine arriving sept 2013 and a baby makes 3!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Love love love ours (lol, MINE!). Got it as a wedding pressie from MIL & FIL, never would have bought one myself cos of the price...but then I wouldn't have known what I am missing!

I love baking but hate cooking so it has made cooking soooo much better for me. Everything is so easy! I don't use it for any of the crazy stuff like churning butter or making my own sugar, for us it does a massive proportion of our main meals during the week.
    Soups, stews, pasta sauces, risotto would be our main ones. As well as fresh dips.

I've found it has got me eating more veggies as you can either put more in the main dish or steam them in the varoma while you are cooking. Previously that would have been far too much effort for me to chop them all up and get a separate pot out to cook or steam them.