+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh gosh.. i know i will get flamed, but no i personally dont think its appropriate.. Yes i know its.natural, its food etc but the boys might be embarrassed.. My 12 yo step son would be.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Unless those boys are going to hide in their rooms while they eat, then your baby shouldn't, either
    There's no shame in feeding your child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmama2b View Post
    Oh gosh.. i know i will get flamed, but no i personally dont think its appropriate.. Yes i know its.natural, its food etc but the boys might be embarrassed.. My 12 yo step son would be.

So if you let your child go to a friends house where the mum was breastfeeding, you would execpt her to hide to feed in her own home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I would not feed in front of them but I appreciate that there are reasons for doing so and that many people will think differently to me.

I am someone who would not feel comfortable breast feeding in public either (though I completely support a woman's right to do so, it is just not for me).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with pp about not hiding in your room, you shouldn't have too.

But, have you considered how your son might feel? Would he be comfortable having his friend see you feeding? Do you think he may lose a friend if they feel uncomfortable or speak to they're parents about it? Is the child likely to go to school and tell everyone he saw your breasts? How would something like this impact on his life at such an impressionable age?

You may be feeding discretely but some people out there are over dramatic and tend to blow things out of proportion.

I know it is one of the most natural things to do but this child may not have been exposed to it before like your boy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (11-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    So if you let your child go to a friends house where the mum was breastfeeding, you would execpt her to hide to feed in her own home?
    I have thought a bit more. In our house we have a play rm for the boys. If they were in there watching,movies then sure, i would sit in our lounge and bf, but i wouldnt plop myself next to them and do it, iykwim..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefulmama2b For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (10-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by btmac View Post
    Absolutely do not hide! As a pp said it will help normalise bf for these boys and this is the change we need. My DS1 is 18 and I feed DS2 (6.5months) in front of him and his friends (male & female). I don't go out of my way to do it in front of them but if bub is hungry and they are there so be it!! Not one of them has blinked an eye.

It is your home please do not hide away
    Ok my issue with this is while yes, bf should be normalised its not up to the op to normalise this for the boys. What if one of the parents for culteral, religious or whatever reasons dont want their child to witness this in your home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wouldn't make a big song and dance about it but its legal to feed anywhere you want in Australia... So feed in your own home as much as you want!

I wouldn't hide away if I had male child guests over and I am certain I wouldn't care if people breastfeed in front of any child I might have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was 11 when my now 3yo was born, and I always breastfed in front of whatever combination of his mates who were around.

I agree with PPs who talk about normaliding breast feeding. It's no big deal, and should be treated as such.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox in Sox View Post
    My son was 11 when my now 3yo was born, and I always breastfed in front of whatever combination of his mates who were around.

I agree with PPs who talk about normaliding breast feeding. It's no big deal, and should be treated as such.
    Yes, this.

Our now almost 16 son was 9 and 10 when his sisters were born and I fed them at the junior AFL, on the soccer sidelines, at junior tennis, at parties, during playdates and at sleepovers and I don't think anybody really even cared or even noticed to tell you the truth.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (10-05-2013)