+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Am currently 13 weeks +1 and will NOT have my first scan untill 18-20 weeks? HELP

am currently 13 weeks pregnant, have had my blood test but doctor said i wont need a scan until my 18-20 weeks scan? is this right? have been tring for about 5 months prior to falling pregnant so am 100% sure on dates could this be why and has anyone else had their first scan done at 18-20 weeks?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You usually have a scan as part of the nuchal translucency screening test (NTS) at 12 weeks. It is used in conjunction with blood tests to estimate your risk of Downs Syndrome (T21) and two other chromosomal issues (T13 and T18). If you chose not to have this test, then you would likely not have a scan until the 19 week fetal anatomy survey. Did your doctor ask if you wanted to have the NTS? If not, he/she should have!

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh that's a relief, i didn't want the down syndrome test so that's probably why, i thought whats the point, i would never abort even if tests came up positive for down syndrome. It is also my second pregnancy so im not as fussed as i was with the first, yes the doctor did ask so all makes sence i also only seen my GP when i was about 10 weeks so i was quite far along and didn't need a dating scan, thanks for your help

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I only had the 20wk morphology scan with my first two .

Best of luck with your pregnancy and I'm sure if something comes up your care providers will organise one. Or if you just want to have a peek there are private sonographers in the larger city areas that offer scans at anytime you want pretty much, not claimable on Medicare though.

Sam

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also declined the 12 week NT scan, the results wouldnt have affected our course of action (I.e. being pregnant and planning to stay that way!).
    I was surprised at how many people couldn't believe we hadn't had a scan yet, apparently most people do get the 12 week one. Just seemed pointless to me when it wasn't going to impact on our decision making.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's also other development issues that can be picked up, not trying to scare you but my friend recently had to abort her baby after her 12wk scan as her placenta was full of holes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Ive never had an NT scan with any of my pregnancies, and with #3 (which I am pregnant with now) I didnt have a scan until 17 weeks and that was only because I ended up in the emergency room - my first proper scan was at 21 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too skipped the nuchal scan. I had a dating scan around 10-11wks and then then morph scan at 20wks.

There is no point doing a dating scan after 12wks as bub EDD can vary significantly if done after this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks everyone, it doesnt bother me at all about not getting a scan until 18-20 weeks but i just wanted to make sue it was normal, my edd is 15/11/13

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shinead View Post
    thanks everyone, it doesnt bother me at all about not getting a scan until 18-20 weeks but i just wanted to make sue it was normal, my edd is 15/11/13
    Just wanted to say, pointless I no, but u have the same due date as me. All the best on your journey