+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Desperately need advice on 2.5 yo sleeping habits on late naps ->late bed time

My 2.5 yo who attends daycare 3x a week still loves squeezing in a cat nap before his regular night bed time. I have to admit that i never really set a routine for him, i just hope that he will crash himself to bed till the next morning after a long day at daycare, but nope, he often likes cat napping in the evening for another hour and goes to bed really late!!

He obviously wakes up late the following morning and continues on with a later nap and then a late bed time. Its always started because of the extra cat nap he took! But how could i even prevent him from not taking an extra or late nap at all, provided that he would eventually doze off for a nap anyway because he wanted it too even without me telling him to go to bed? I have tried ignoring his signa of wanting to sleep before but i found him once crashing off to sleep on a bathroom floor because he waa just so tired!

for eg, this morning he woke up at 10.30 (he had a terrible bed time routine yesterday) then i know that soon he might ask for a nap (tired, crankyness and and irritated by around 5pm - so what can i do to get him skip this 5pm nap? Because he will definetely wake up again 2 hrs later and continue waking up and partying on till midnight! Everyone always says to me, dont put him to sleep... Dont put him to sleep... Well i dont really, if he wants a late nap he usually does it by himself... So what can i do to fix this problem?

thanks in advance !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would wake him up earlier in the morning, that way he can have an earlier nap & hopefully an earlier bedtime! My son is 2.5 and is up at 7am most days - 7.30 at the latest, has a sleep after lunch at 1.30 till 2.30 then back to bed for the night at 7pm =) might take a few days to get into being up earlier. I felt mean when I would wake my son up in the mornings, but now he naturally wakes up at that time. Good luck =)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with above, waking him earlier in the morning could do the trick. My dd 3 was starting to nap later in the day and was causing havoc in the evening. Even though she slept she was still too grumpy for tea. We have recently adopted a new routine of no day sleep, dinner 5:15 - 5:30 bath @ 6 out by 10 - 15 past, dressed story bed by before seven. The change has been miraculous she eats her tea happily and sleeps more soundly through the night walking up happy and consistently at 7 or just after.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would wake him earlier in the morning. He will be cranky for a few days getting used to it but it will soon pass. My DS is 2.5 years and he wakes around 630am - 7am when DF gets up, then he naps from 1130am until 130pm and goes to bed at 730pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, wake him up! DD is up at 7, naps 1-3.30 and then back to bed at 7.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wake him up!

Dd1 is just over 2.5 and wakes 5.30-6am, naps 12-2.30 then bed by 7-7.30pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 3.5yo DD loves a lunchtime nap, but I hate it as she'll muck up at bedtime as she isn't tired, it's been like this for a year.
    I basically can't leave her alone after 4pm or she'll be asleep wherever she is. To distract her I get her helping me get the washing in or make dinner or early bath/shower and is in bed by 7pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Agree, wake him up earlier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    At 5pm if he looks like he is going for a sleep, I would do something active with him, e.g. jump on trampoline or dance around to some music - anything to keep him awake. Then do dinner, bath etc and try to get him to bed early.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (10-05-2013)