+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Omg been wanting to start a thread on this all week thank you thank you!!!
    Dd is giving me anxiety. Im to scared to even go out. Its sooo embarassing. She did this in our local cafe wouldn't leave threw herself to the ground screaming everyone was giving me death stares because they were trying to enjoy their weekend coffee. Its only been a week or 2 I hope it passes soon

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, went through this with my DD...after trying the "nice, calm" option, I generally resorted to bundling the screaming, writhing she-devil under my arm and carried her kicking and yelling to the car. If it was a safe place I would put her on the ground and walk away...she came eventually It did stop eventually but from memory it wasnt til about 3.5 It did get a bit easier after 3 as threats (toys taken etc) or bribery we better understood...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Yep, went through this with my DD...after trying the "nice, calm" option, I generally resorted to bundling the screaming, writhing she-devil under my arm and carried her kicking and yelling to the car. If it was a safe place I would put her on the ground and walk away...she came eventually It did stop eventually but from memory it wasnt til about 3.5 It did get a bit easier after 3 as threats (toys taken etc) or bribery we better understood...
    Yep this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When it happened in public I try to keep calm and get the hell out of there as soon as I could (as you do). If I could teleport, I would have.

When it happens at home and it's for a ridiculous reason, I do this seemingly crazy thing I heard (that actually works). I sit with her and if she is banging her fists of kicking her legs etc I say "do it like this!" and I mimic her by kicking my legs and arms and shaking my head saying "waaaah!" but make it a competition to do the best tantrum ever. I only need to do it once or twice and it totally disarms her and she usually laughs and the tantrum is over. Breaks the pattern. I look utterly ridiculous for a minute but it works! I think I've had to do it 3 times in total.

She still gets grizzly and difficult when she is tired. She's 3, so she can still be a toad sometimes but it seemed to help!

Whatever works, I say.
    Last edited by MMelissa; 10-05-2013 at 20:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Do y'all give warnings before leaving? "We're leaving in 10 minutes... We're leaving in 5 minutes... 2 minutes" etc?

Does distracting a child help? Eg when you are leaving, pull on a shiny something they haven't seen in ages and say "mummy needs your help carrying this, can you help me?"

Just trying to figure out if anything helps or if I am doomed when my hold hits the terrible 2's...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Do y'all give warnings before leaving? "We're leaving in 10 minutes... We're leaving in 5 minutes... 2 minutes" etc?

Does distracting a child help? Eg when you are leaving, pull on a shiny something they haven't seen in ages and say "mummy needs your help carrying this, can you help me?"

Just trying to figure out if anything helps or if I am doomed when my hold hits the terrible 2's...
    Lol sometimes you can do all this until the cows come home and it makes no difference. The joys of 2-3 year olds

DS2 is 2 months off turning 3 and also has SPD and this has all just started for him... its hard, but I just stay firm, and ignore the tantrums like this - I tend to give him 2 warnings to stop the tantrums or there will be a consequence (ie: time out, losing his favorite toy, no tv time that afternoon etc). We still get the tantrums, its not a magic fix, but I find being firm, calm and getting down to his level etc really helps ME to cope with it better.

The hard part for us is distinguishing between one of his sensory meltdowns and a normal everyday 3yr old tantrum.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Thanks for giving me hope! Not!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Thanks for giving me hope! Not!
    No worries, anytime

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I found my son's behaviour got really difficult at 26 months. But there were loads of contributing factors (broken arm, he refused to wear nappy and tt quickly, changed from cot, then changed back to cot etc.) and basically he wasn't getting enough sleep. Even now, he's nearly 3 and when he hasn't had enough sleep, his behaviour is terrible. I never had this problem with my nearly 5 year old. She has always been easy from the day she was born. They had a birthday party tonight and only went to sleep at 8. Tomorrow could be difficult!

I do give warnings on when we are leaving. It's hilarious when my 2yo tries to bargain for more minutes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh, just want to add that I ignore most tantrums and I couldn't care less what people think. If you're at a park, I'm sure most parents have experienced the same.

My son had a tantrum in the shops once because I wouldn't let him go on one of those $2 rides, so he ran away into franklins thinking it was a good idea to hide. I had to pick him up and carry him (plus a newborn at the time) all the way from one end of shops to the other. Fun!