+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week

Default Not quite sure where to start...

Hi Ladies,

I guess I'm after some advice about homebirthing...

I just found out I'm pregnant a few days ago so its quite early still but I'd prefer to start planning early!

I've already decided that homebirth is right for me and my dh agrees 100%. What I'm mostly worried about is other people opinions of my decision and possible pressure I might get from them about it. I pretty much grew up in a family were it is 'normal' to give birth in a hospital so one thing that concerns me is what my parents will think and how I can reassure them that I'm making the right decision?

Another concern I have is that I'm unsure how you go about organising tests/ultrasounds etc if you are having a homebirth? I plan to go to a gp to confirm my pregnancy and on one hand I'm worried about what they may say if they ask about referrals for obs/hospitals etc (I've read ladies who are birthing in a hospital get a referral to their preference from their gp...or something like that)? On the other hand...what is the 'process' if you are having a homebirth...where do you get your ultrasounds, who organises them etc?

Lastly, does anyone have an recommendations for private/independent midwives in the Melbourne area (possibly northern suburbs)?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I planned a hb but had it at hospital due to blood pressure and cholestasis. Which only appeared at 38 weeks anyhow. However, I found the midwives privately and paid for them privately and they were qualified to do all my prenatal/antenatal visits themselves.
    Don't worry about what people think, if you know you're doing whats right for you and your baby then thats all that matters. Other peoples comments did slightly annoy me but I wasnt going to change my plans just because they felt uncomfortable with the idea. I had DHs support and capable midwives and the rest is nobody elses business. Good luck

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smurfberrylizard For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-05-2013),wannawannabe  (11-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a home birth last year. I found a midwife first. Then I went to my GP and got a referral to the midwife so I could claim the ante and postnatal appointments back on Medicare. You don't need a referral, but you can't claim the Medicare rebates without one. Unfortunately, there isn't a Medicare rebate on the actual birth with an independent midwife, but some private health funds cover it.

Your midwife can do all the referrals for blood tests, ultrasounds, gestational diabetes test. Or you can get them from your GP if you don't have a midwife by the relevant time. You just go to whichever scanning place you lie once you have the referral. Although I just got a referral to my local public hospital for the morph scan and it was free.

As for parents, I took a fairly robust approach of "I don't want any negative talk about home birth anywhere near me". My mum later told me she prayed for me as she thought I was going to die, lol. But, overall, I found people okay with it. They were more shocked that there wasn't the option for drugs.

I'm in Brisbane so can't help with recommendations sorry.

good luck with it all. I have had a hospital birth and home birth, and the home birth, and the home birth was 100 times better.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (10-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ultrasounds were done via referral to the public hospital. Just depends tho on what your midwives practice does

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Smurfberrylizard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In relation to your family. Either do a heck of a lot of research to back up any argument they may have or just dont tell them. I only told people who I knew would be supportive and after the fact I told them the truth. By the time they found out they were meeting my happy healthy baby and they didnt really care. Some even thought it was great.

I had to organise all the scans and blood tests through the GP. My midwife also is eligible for a medicare thing which means that I had to get referred to her by my GP and I am able to get a rebate back off medicare after I have paid for the whole thing.

He did take a little convincing but then I just told him that I had hired an independent midwife and was rather vague about where I intended to give birth. Some IM's are able to support you in birth in hospital much like a doula type idea so I kinda hinted that was why I hired her. In the end though, if your GP wont do it, see another one and ask them.

It can be difficult to deal with opposition when you get it but so long as you are well researched and confident then people mostly just tend to give up trying to talk you out of it.

Having just delivered my baby in the water in my house 3 days ago i can say with confidence that it is 100% worth it! It was the most fantastic and empowering experience in my life!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tildy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Thanks everyone.

I've contacted a midwife so I'll see how I go. She works with a group of midwives, some who you can get the medicare rebate through and I might do what Tildy suggested and tell my gp I want to have a private midwife but be vague about where I plan to birth!

I would try and keep my plans secret but Mum loves details and is bound to ask me where I've booked into! So it will be a challenge to keep it secret. Its quite possible my parents will be more understanding than I expect...particularly my Mum, she's big on natural, drug-free births and if I assure her that the midwives know what they're doing then hopefully she won't be too worried.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some public birthing centres have home birth programs too! Not sure if its what you are looking for but might be worth looking in to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Make sure you hire a reputable, knowledgable midwife who practices safely and preferably has links to a local hospital in case you need transfer antenatally, intrapartum or postnatally.

The majority of negative homebirth stories where's there been deaths or near misses have occurred when there wasn't appropriate transfer and the midwife has been a bit of a cowboy with things and not called an ambulance because the woman is bleeding etc or when labour didn't progress normally.

homebirth with qualified, competent midwives who practice safely and will have neonatal resuscitation equipment, syntocinon in case of bleeding and will transfer when appropriate is safe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (12-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi blotchedtabby! I was in the TTC thread with u and am also due in Jan 14!!. I am leaning towards a homebirth so have been reading everyone's comments with great interest. My mum I think will be very supportive but MIL not so much. I am thinking about just not telling them until after it happens!! Still need to have some big talks with DF as I think he is worried about safety aspects. I will be doing a lot of reading, love to hear others experiences good and bad too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently found out that Sunshine hospital now offers home birth facilities/staff. Maybe you could get in contact with them to discuss your options. There are also some birthing centres that have home birth facilities as well. Not sure which ones though sorry. Good luck.