+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The best thing I ever did was to let go of the expectations that come with being a SAHM, yes I aim to have a happy baby a clean house and a good meal at dinner time but I don't let myself get frazzled anymore, the kids are more important and I find that DH is happier to come home to me having a giggle with DD and no dinner than getting through the door to a screaming child me cranky and a gourmet dinner. So what I'm saying is just relax do your thing with your kids and you'll see when you're happier and calmer things fall in place.
    As for the food, there's loads of easy meals and freezer friendly recipes out there. I find bolognaise sauce is awesome for freezing you can make bulk and defrost as needed, you can use it on pasta, lasagna or add some beans an make nachos its even great on toast for a quick fix!
    If you don't have a slow cooker think about investing in one (they're not expensive $50 should get you a decent one) they're great for casseroles, just throw in the ingredients and forget about it! It doesn't get easier than that.
    personally I'm not a big fan of freezing pasta and rice... It just goes soggy and gross but I do make the sauces and freeze those.
    Hope this gives you some ideas :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooglekat View Post
    Hi kitty,

Do you have a slow cooker?

I use mine constantly, especially through the winter.

I have a few super easy recipes where I can dump everything in together in the morning before the day has gone to poo . Then we live off it for a couple of days.

Or you could freeze the leftovers.
    Yep this is the way to go. Just made a beef casserole tonight had it with crusty bread. Yummo. Enough left to freeze for another meal next week

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would die without my slow cooker. I have 2 one at home and one at work. DH doesn't like me leaving it on if no one is home and I have a super flexible work place.

I use it at least 2-3 days a week and because there are only 2 of is I have a freezer full of left overs so now that I'm UTD it's so much easier and I'll be making sure I'm stocked up for when I get out of hospital with bub

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me, been organised with meal plans is a massive help. I know what to get at the shops so it doesn't take as long. I don't waste money or buy stuff I don't really need and each night I don't have to think about what I am making and I have everything there.

I make meals that don't take more than 15 mins prep and pull the meat out in the morning so I can start cooking at 4.30/5. I have also made bulk bolognaise sauce for spaghetti one night and then use it for lasagne the next night. I just looked up recipes on Taste.com and tweaked them to suit us. I usually grate a heap of veges into my sauces and the kids don't say a word.

I would start practising (and so super easy) with

- Quiche (unbelievably easy)
    - Spag Bol
    -Lasagne
    - Homemade nuggets (chicken cut up, dipped in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs and then oven baked) so easy!
    - Beef Strog -http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/25097/beef+stroganoff. This is amazing over mash!

Goodluck and don't be overwhelmed. I bet your family will love trying this new stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Stir frys are another easy, quick, healthy meal - cut up all the veggies and marinate the meat in the morning so when you get home , turn on rice cooker, heat up wok and throw in meat, then veggies , fresh healthy dinner in 15 minutes ( and all cooked in 1 pan!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a look at www.stayathmemum.net.au

I get heaps of my meal ideas from there! I meal plan & shop fortnightly, saves heaps of money & time!
    I freeze everything lol except obviously salad things! Always good to have meal in the freezer for nights you don't have time to cant be bothered cooking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Stir frys are another easy, quick, healthy meal - cut up all the veggies and marinate the meat in the morning so when you get home , turn on rice cooker, heat up wok and throw in meat, then veggies , fresh healthy dinner in 15 minutes ( and all cooked in 1 pan!)
    Could you please share some marinade recipes (I love your cooking ideas :-) xx

Ps, op, I find that if you pour boiling water over frozen rice. (in a colinder/sieve) it has a better texture than microwaved rice.
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 09-05-2013 at 21:03.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Of course!

I use those zip lock bags - chuck in meat - throw in sauce ingredients and massage a little! ( I don't measure I just put in what I think!)

The basic Chinese marinade is chinese cooking wine ( shao sing wine) and either Tamari or soy sauce or I usually do:

Honey prawns
    Big Squeeze honey or maple syrup
    Few shakes of soy or Tamari sauce
    2 garlic cloves grated
    Small piece ginger grated
    Dash sesame oil
    Splash Chinese cooking wine

Chinese Lamb
    Tablespoon pomegranate molasses
    Splash soy or Tamari
    2 garlic cloves
    Dash sesame oil
    Pinch chili powder

Ginger fish
    Dash sesame oil
    Splash Chinese cooking wine
    Small piece grated ginger
    2 chopped shallots

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews