+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my 27mth old drinks full fat milk. i dont think i will ever stop. she's tiny and could do with the fat
    i hate full fat milk, dh is lactose intollerant so i buy fat free just for myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    I've looked and can't find anything on the idea that sugar has been added to skim milk.

I've heard of it being added to low fat yoghurt, but comparing sugars in skim v whole milk - I only found higher amounts of sugar in whole milk.

Canola isn't always genetically modified. Canola is a grain.

Yes there are genetically modified crops - but is there some info that I'm missing out on here? How do you know if something is GM? is it labelled.

Canola in itself is an excellent source of Omega 3 oils.
    Currently only 2 GMO crops are legally able to be grown in Australia - Canola and Cotton - Canola I think , was originally modified from the rapeseed plant in Canada ( canola is short for Canada Oil)

Our GMO labelling laws are shocking, even though the government only allows us to grow 2 GMO crops it has no limits on what we import and if its used in food or even worse food for farm animals ( which the majority is GMO) we eat far more than we realise - corn, rice, soy and canola oil are the highest used GMO products in our food ( read any label of packet food and soy is usually in it)

The only guarantee of getting GMO free food is to buy organic

Low fat milk does not have sugar added but had the same amount of sugar as full fat , ( most have slightly more sugar) and the calories are not even that much different (20-30 calories I think from memory) so my point being I don't think low fat milk is the big health benefit that it's made out to be - no milk would be the best choice for losing weight !!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Except that fat promotes feeling fuller so full fat milk will help you feel fuller than light.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (10-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by peanutmonkey View Post
    Im fairly certain they say kids under 2 shouldnt have light milk...

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    You're right, 2 and under should have full fat. Over 2 can have light.

We all drink light in our house but before the girls turned 2 I bought them their own full fat milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm really suss on milk - twenty different types but each one says "ingredients - milk".

We have full fat locally produced organic milk here, but only because the company is open about the process and not because we have a totally organic diet. We visited their farm which was kid of cool, so we know what they do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We drink full in our house, and always have, in conjunction with a healthy, balanced diet.

If DS was drinking a carton a day, it maybe be different but he has it on his cereal and a glass with breakfast &/or dinner. He gets enough protein, calcium from his day to day foods.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Just thought I'd check back in here and report that I checked my canola spread and it says Non GM (I'm happy now)

I don't personally like full fat (for one reason it makes me feel like I want to clear my throat after consuming it), and am happy to drink lower fat for the extra calcium and protein.

When I was a younger I got hung up on calories, but realised that milk was the least of my worries. I mad sure my kids got whole milk until at least age 2, but I don't worry about it now.

The info regarding fat, protein, calcium content etc of whole v skim/low fat is that when they take out the fat, it concentrates the rest of the ingredients, so it's not that they add other stuff to the milk.

The only thing I can't figure out, is the sugar content. When I looked at nutritional information of whole v skim/low fat milk, the sugar content was higher in whole milk, so can't work that one out as I thought it must be more concentrated in lower fat milk. I guess there must be sugar that is removed when they remove the fat.

So I guess skim/low fat milk is actually better for people who have diabetes. (just musing)
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 10-05-2013 at 01:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm completely guessing here and could be way way way off, but maybe when they say 'sugar' it include lactose (which is a sugar), and maybe some lactose is removed when fat is removed? My best friend can't drink full cream milk as she feels sick afterwards and suspects she may be a little bit sensitive to lactose, she is ok with skim milk though? I dunno....

ETA, I was way off- just reading about lactose intolerance and low fat usually has higher lactose.
    Last edited by Annabella; 10-05-2013 at 20:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have spoken to two different Nutritionists about this and one said definitely not before four as it's crucial for toddlers to get the fats in it, and the other said not until they're adults. She said ideally everyone would drink full fat milk, but just like everything, in moderation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like full fat and lite has less calories which is good enough for me ( even is. It is only 20 - 30 ) less its still less. We don't drink a huge amount anyways though.