+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My baby is constipated.

My little girl is 7 months old and she's constipated. I have breastfed her until a month ago we started solids and mix feed. She's been constipated for 3 days now, tiny nuggets everyday.
    I have tried to offer pears. Veggie in her food, water after every meal, watered down formula and I still breastfed her half if the time.
    Still no improvement and she's quite wingy too probably because of that
    What else can I do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Keep going with the pears - for every meal. My DS2 who is fully BF has had terrible constipation I think because of his premie-ness, so we go to Pear Mode - pears for every meal, plus water, plus BF. Warm baths, tummy massage and bicycle legs help. What formula is bub on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's on aptimal. Never had this problem with DS who was fully breastfed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omg i had the worst experience with my BF 10 month old. She was screaming & crying trying so hard to push out something but all she was getting was quite firm little nuggets!! What worked a treat for us was a hit of infants friend as it can help with constipation & i boiled up some prunes with pears. I used the juice of the prunes in her water & fed her three servings of the fruit that day. The following day she did a couple of huge poos!! Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh & i BF her more often that day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tubster View Post
    She's on aptimal. Never had this problem with DS who was fully breastfed
    I think ( and I'm no expert, so feel free to disregard my advice) that the introduction of solids plus formula has just overloaded bubs tummy. I'd continue with the formula but strip back the solids to just pears/prunes. Just for a week and then see how her poos are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure what solids you have introduced, but apparently bananas, yoghurt & cheese can cause constipation. I was feeding bub all of these at the time. So i actually cut these out of her diet for a bit & Im only reintroducing them now to see how she goes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I think the formula and solids both at the same time has caused her constipation. I can't go back to breastfeed because its a long struggle to get her to drink formula (we need her to drink formula because we are going away without her for few weeks soon).
    I might stop solids for a few days just offer fruit and veggies maybe cut down one formula feed and replace it with breast milk. I gave her sweet potatoes chicken broccoli zucchini potatoes carrots, pretty much all veggies and chicken, fish and some rice, pancake lol cereal with banana for breakfast, she hasn't had banana for a few days now so can't be that.
    Maybe I will try to water down her formula more.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS had constipation problems from about 11 months and I tried everything. Prune juice, pear juice, coloxyl drops etc but nothing worked until I started him on Inner Health Plus for kids when he had antibiotocs for an ear infection. Has not had a problem since. 1 teaspoon a day mixed into some pureed fruit keeps him going. I think they can have it from 3 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS just turned one and has had terrible constipation issues since I stopped bf'ing at 7 mths old. I put him on karicare as thats what my dd had with no problems. But i changed formula to novolac constipation and that helped a lot. It is expensive but works. I also changed to nam ha gold which is suitable for tummy problems. That's helped a lot too.
    I always keep offering DS water throughout the day not just after a feed. He was not a great lover of fruit but lives fresh prunes.
    MCHN also suggested 5ml of undiluted prune juice every morning before brekkie.