+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help with 7 month old co-sleeper

My LO currently co sleeps with us, I don't mind at all but I am terrified of her rolling off our bed when I'm not there. She won't go down in her cot through the day and wants me to lay with her and feed her to sleep on my bed (I breastfeed) she screams and fights it when I try and settle her in her cot and I could be trying for hours to get her down without success.
    Yet at family day care 2 days a week she will go down fine and sleep for up to 2hrs at a time in the cot?! I've spoken to our family day care mum and she said maybe its just because its a different environment? Cause she will only take a bottle from her aswell no one else.

I'm just so worried she will fall out of bed even though I have pillows.
    Any positive help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you breastfeed her to sleep on a mattress on the floor? Then if she wakes and crawls off it is only a small drop.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

missmya84  (08-05-2013),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used safety bed rails on our bed, ds never fell out. You can buy extra long ones too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LollyDolly For This Useful Post:

missmya84  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LollyDolly View Post
    I used safety bed rails on our bed, ds never fell out. You can buy extra long ones too.
    Yep this. We just got safety rails that you get for a single bed (they didn't have long ones when we did this) and put them on the other side. Our bed was against the wall. She never fell out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonezart For This Useful Post:

missmya84  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would also say either mattress on the floor or safety rails.

Are you interested in getting her to nap in her own bed? I was laying down with my DD for all of her naps up until a month or so ago. It took a while but I gently got her used to napping in her bed without me. I still feed her to sleep.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

missmya84  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies.
    Are the rails easy to put on and take off the bed?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    I would also say either mattress on the floor or safety rails.

Are you interested in getting her to nap in her own bed? I was laying down with my DD for all of her naps up until a month or so ago. It took a while but I gently got her used to napping in her bed without me. I still feed her to sleep.
    I'd love to hear how you did that green mamma.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The rails as I remember sort of just set up using the weight of the mattress and these long click on straps that went around the bed frame? It's been about 7 years so I'm having trouble remembering, but yes they were easy enough to put on our bed and then when she finally got the hang of sleeping (lol) on to her bed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonezart For This Useful Post:

missmya84  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missmya84 View Post
    Thanks ladies.
    Are the rails easy to put on and take off the bed?

I'd love to hear how you did that green mamma.
    The rails are super easy. They just slide under the mattress then have a lever you press to fold them down.

As for getting her into her bed (she is 9 months now btw so around the same age as your DD when I started). I do the same thing before each nap: check/change nappy, take her into her room, put on sleeping bag, close curtains, start playing lullaby. Then I feed her, sitting in her room. Once she was asleep I would gently unlatch her which more often than not woke her. I would try to get her to stay asleep but if she wouldn't, I would put her back on. The times when I could get her to stay asleep and unlatched, I would transfer her into her bed. 9 times out of ten she would wake immediately and cry. I would pick her up straight away and more often than not put her back on the boob.

I spent many hour sitting with her sleeping in my arms, but I just kept at it. After a week she was staying asleep when I unlatched her more often, and was only waking 7/10 times that I transferred her. She would mostly wake after 5/10/20 minutes.

I honestly just kept doing the same thing. I never let her get upset. A month ago I couldn't move at all once she was asleep and now she pops off the boob herself and doesn't stir at all when I transfer her into bed. She has even slept for over an hour a bunch of times.

It just took heaps of patience and persistence but it worked!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

missmya84  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    The rails are super easy. They just slide under the mattress then have a lever you press to fold them down.

As for getting her into her bed (she is 9 months now btw so around the same age as your DD when I started). I do the same thing before each nap: check/change nappy, take her into her room, put on sleeping bag, close curtains, start playing lullaby. Then I feed her, sitting in her room. Once she was asleep I would gently unlatch her which more often than not woke her. I would try to get her to stay asleep but if she wouldn't, I would put her back on. The times when I could get her to stay asleep and unlatched, I would transfer her into her bed. 9 times out of ten she would wake immediately and cry. I would pick her up straight away and more often than not put her back on the boob.

I spent many hour sitting with her sleeping in my arms, but I just kept at it. After a week she was staying asleep when I unlatched her more often, and was only waking 7/10 times that I transferred her. She would mostly wake after 5/10/20 minutes.

I honestly just kept doing the same thing. I never let her get upset. A month ago I couldn't move at all once she was asleep and now she pops off the boob herself and doesn't stir at all when I transfer her into bed. She has even slept for over an hour a bunch of times.

It just took heaps of patience and persistence but it worked!
    Thanks I will have to try this. I do try but then give in as she gets very upset. I'd like her to sleep in her cot through the day and not have to lay with her to get her to sleep as sometimes it's a long process cause she feeds rolls away and then rolls back and wants to re-latch lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been teaching my 9 month old how to get off the bed safely herself I'm still worried though and watch her like a hawk through the video monitor when I'm not there. I put her on her back every time she is to get off the bed, she rolls over then wiggles backwards till her feet touch the floor. I still am helping her so she doesn't drop off too quickly though. It's only taken a few days and she already knows what to do

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarelou For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-06-2013)