+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default what are the benefits of going gluten free?

as the title states, what are the benefits of going gluten free? also, how do you feel physically when going gluten free? ta.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I guess it depends, if you are going gluten free for medical reasons or not. If you are going gluten free for medical reasons, then you feel better as soon as you start doing it usually, not for everyone, but most.

Some people say that gluten is bad for you anyway, that it causes inflammation. But personally, if I didn't have to be gf, I wouldn't be. I hate that going out has to turn into a big deal all the time.

And if you were going down that path, where would you stop? Beef causes inflammation, and so many other things.

The cons are of course, the expense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    as the title states, what are the benefits of going gluten free? also, how do you feel physically when going gluten free? ta.
    For me, I felt a lot better physically when I went gf. When you eat, the food seems so much less heavy. A pasta dish wouldn't feel so thick in my tummy using gf pastaas opposed to normal pasta. Baking with gf flour is the same, and just as easy to use as wheaten flour. I did have some problems when eating out as I am also allergic to nuts, and a lot of gf cakes use almond meal so I missed out a bit.

I have some gut issues that have neen ongoing since i was pg with DS2. We still haven't gotten to the bottom of my gut issues (going to see gastroenterologist next week,yay), and if I could manage it i'd be gf all the time, but I have a family of 5 to prepare meals for, and its time consuming to do separate meals for me, and too expensive to do gf for all of us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with beeb - depends on whether its for medical reasons or not. If so then generally yes, you'll feel much better pretty quickly.

A massive downside is the cost. It's so frustrating that any 'special' dietary requirements are generally more expensive to fund. It can also be more difficult sourcing supplies/produce, depending on where you live.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I watched something about this on TV ages ago and basically the conclusion was that unless you are gluten intolerant there is no real benefit. You can be gluten free and unhealthy in the same way you can be vegetarian and unhealthy. It's not an automatic pass to losing weight.

I'm not gluten intolerant and have never gone gluten free so others may have different views - it was just what I learned from watching the show about it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well that is certainly true Sonja! I am GF and really unhealthy, I just love chocolate way too much! haha.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not GF but since getting bad gastritis a few years back I've had to cut back on wheat and gluten. Last year before I got preg I barely consumed it and felt great, I didn't 100% cut it out as I find it too hard but atleast 85-90% cut out and found even that made a difference. I've had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and been tested for celiacs plus had BTs and I don't have it.
    But I've definately felt the difference by cutting it out - as in my tummy is in less pain upper and lower after and before meals. (I suffer immense upper tummy pain and bloating and IBS.)
    Last edited by MummaJez; 08-05-2013 at 16:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've gone wheat free, and its made a HUGE difference!
    Biggest being that I'm not bloated anymore, and I've also lost quite a bit of weight, too!
    I don't feel so sluggish, especially after dinner. I have way more energy, and I've noticed a big reduction in the amount of pimples I usually get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In the past I have lead a GF life due to being gluten sensitive (I can tolerate it but feel off if I eat too much). When 100% off gluten I felt fantastic and lost a lot of weight. I wasn't bloated, not as tired/lethargic, and just generally happier.

I find it hard to eat a totally GF diet now as I try to avoid artificial colours, flavours, preservatives etc. I also try to only eat organic food. Most off the shelf GF food doesn't meet my strict food standards.

So to cut a long story short I do eat some gluten now and I 'feel' it when I do. The less gluten I eat, the better I feel. I eat gluten once or twice a week, mainly pasta and cake.

I am lucky that I can eat oats (which contain gluten) without any problems. I eat an organic oat bread which is fantastic.
    Last edited by Taiyed; 08-05-2013 at 19:19.