+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Private Health and IVF

Hi,

I just got a call from my insurer (BUPA) saying that they have changed my policy so that now I am only covered for IVF as a private patient in a public hospital, which is completely useless as my clinic is Genea which is private. To continue to be covered I need to increase my premium.

Soooo... My question is who is the best private health insurer for IVF?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there

I had this a few weeks ago and panicked! When I finally rang and spoke to someone who had a clue what was going on, they told me that I would be covered until 31 December for IVF - so I would first check with them about that.

So then I rang around and found that Medibank still cover IVF on their standard hospital package which is comparable to the price I pay at BUPA.

Then I discovered that if you can get on a corporate package with BUPA then IVF is still covered.

It just sucks that they keep putting the premiums up and then reduce what they actually cover.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're with Medibank and have the medium hospital coverage plus extras. The coverage isn't great - about $600 from memory. In the end we didn't need it as we did our cycle through Westmead. I was pretty shocked that after almost 20 years of membership and no claims I was basically entitled to nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Say what!!??!!
    Bedlover - they specifically called you and told you that you weren't covered?
    I'm mega panicked now because I'm with BUPA!! And I'm gonna be needing the coverage within the next 2 weeks!! Eeeeekk!!!

The stupid standard information statements on their website telling me butt all nothing!! Grrrrr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recieved a letter and then phone call from Bupa advising same. Appar you are covered up to dec 31st. I am on a corporate cover and think its the issue with 'standard' hospital cover.
    Cheeky buggers have been trying to get me to change my hospital cover from my preexsisting mbf to a bupa cover for ages. I have refused as I currently pay a yearly once off excess of $250 for hospy stays... their policies I would have to pay up to $1000 excess before you hit threshold!!
    We will be changing post Dec. I have researched and better, cheaper providers avaliable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 27/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/5/15Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Hi there ... I am on standard with a $250 excess for hospital... dancing butterfly can you tell me who the other providers are that you are looking at as I may need to change too by the sound of it! I've just got out of the damn waiting period too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok dancing.... I have a corporate cover that once used to be MBF too. I think I've gone with the higher level of hospy though. I don't know!?

I'll just sit tight. I can't be buggered calling them because the wait time was ridiculous last time I did.

How long ago did you guys get the letter?

Thanks
    Reviews
    NIB did this a few years ago and scared the bajesus out of me! I'm now with Medibank and they seem to cover it - not as great returns but at least it's something!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The change with Bupa takes effect 31 Dec so we still have time. They said they sent me a letter a few months back but I mustn't have read it as I wasn't aware (I was also in hospital at the time she called having just lost my baby at 16 weeks as a result of contracting a blood infection - great timing, huh?!?).

She basically said if I go up to the next level of cover I will continue to get the same benefits and they will waive the 12 mth waiting period (so generous seeing I have been paying premiums that cover me for 15+ years!!!).

Dancing butterfly I would also be keen to hear what your research showed is the best provider for IVF? I am so sick of paying more and getting less... It's not like these companies aren't all making massive profits!!

Hoping all of us won't be needing IVF come 31 Dec as we will all have little buns cooking!!