+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Newbie - Stopping birth control

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I recently stopped the pill as my husband and I want to start a family soon. I stopped it on feb 13 and got my "period" as normal, and have not had one since. Today is exactly 3 months since I have stopped it. I have taken 3 tests (most recent one was last Friday) and all have come back neg. I went to my GP and he prescribed me provera to induce my period. I haven't taken it yet as I am waiting for results of a blood test to be 100% sure im not pregnant. Just wondering if anyone else has had such problems after stopping birth control pills?? I have been on Estelle for about 4 years and prior to that I was on logynon (spelling?) for 7 years. I think I have had one break in all that time, but honestly cant remember how regular my periods were prior to starting the pill. Any advice would be appreciated xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Couldnt read and run, Congratulations on starting your conception journey! Anasi this happened to me, i though WOOHOO pregnant first go, you beauty! But it was simply my body getting back in sync. Most Drs will say allow 6 months for your cycle to regulate, some people take up to a year. My cycles have ranged from 30-50 days, 6 months on they are quite predictable and i am learning to read my cycle, looking out for signs of Ovulation and PMS/AF symptoms.
    Do a bit of research on Vitex, its a herb, i know some girls have had success with it regulating their cycles. You can get it from any health food store/chemist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply Ponytail I don't think im pregnant and I will honestly be shocked if the dr tells me I am tonight! (even though my mum got pregnant with me first go 30 years ago!!) im more concerned about getting my cycle on track and how long it will take as I tend to be a little impatient so this 3 months of waiting has killed me!!! I will look into that herb, thanks so much xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Congrats on starting your journey! I not long started trying though same as you, I haven't had a period since February. I started taking vitex about a week ago but nothing has changed yet. I was prescribed provera about 2 years ago and hated it. It did give me a period after I took it but it made me sick and the months after I still didn't get a period on my own. Fingers crossed you are pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember taking provera about 4 years ago when I stopped the pill right in the middle of the pack - which dr said was a no-no - and it did bring on my period, but then I started a different pill (Estelle) for my skin as I had a break out. im going to look into vitex I think, if its more natural then its probably the better way to go! Beccaboobang I noticed that you have been diagnosed with PCOS. I had an ultrasound back in feb and they said my right ovary has more follicles than the left.. and described it as being like PCOS, however I don't have any of the symptoms that go with it! could this be the cause of the absent periods?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    It's natural to have follicles however with pcos, they don't develop fully into eggs and don't release. You could possibly have a build up on one side causing you to have a period every second month? Often pcos goes with hormone imbalances. You can't be diagnosed with pcos unless you have the imbalances and the cysts. I assume your doctor thinks your cycle will regulate after the provera gives it a kick start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im not really sure about my periods as this is the first time I have been off the pill since I was a teenager! I had an internal ultrasound at the beginning of the year as I had a cyst growing near the opening of my cervix which was removed in December. they wanted to check to make sure there were no more cysts anywhere else, and everything came back fine. no other cysts anywhere. I went to the docs last night and I was negative for pregnancy, but he has now sent me for another blood test to check ALL my hormone levels. should have an answer by Monday. he seems to think that because of the type of pill I was on (Estelle), and the fact it doesn't contain progesterone is why I haven't had it yet. started the provera last night... lets see what happens! thanks to you all for the advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anasi View Post
    Im not really sure about my periods as this is the first time I have been off the pill since I was a teenager! I had an internal ultrasound at the beginning of the year as I had a cyst growing near the opening of my cervix which was removed in December. they wanted to check to make sure there were no more cysts anywhere else, and everything came back fine. no other cysts anywhere. I went to the docs last night and I was negative for pregnancy, but he has now sent me for another blood test to check ALL my hormone levels. should have an answer by Monday. he seems to think that because of the type of pill I was on (Estelle), and the fact it doesn't contain progesterone is why I haven't had it yet. started the provera last night... lets see what happens! thanks to you all for the advice
    How did you end up going with the provera? I just finished my last day of provera. Currently cd104

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I had my last day of Provera on Friday, so im waiting for my period now. I also had a bunch of blood test for all my hormones, but I haven't had a chance to go and get the results yet. The provera made me feel awful tho I don't know whether I want to cry or kill someone. My poor husband!!!