+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Tummy time issues.

So, my 5 week old DS can roll tummy to back already and hsd been doing so since 2.5 wks...all my kids hit milestones early but he beat his brother and sister with this one! Anyway, issue is whenever we try tummy time he just rolls over. He had a strong neck and back anyway and can hold his head up but I still think tummy time is important but can't get him to stay in position. Any ideas? I dread to think when this one will be walking! DD was 9 months and that was bad enough.!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Lie yourself down with your back on the floor, put him tummy to tummy with you, and spend some quality one-on-one time with him. My boy thought this was hilarious whenever we did it. He hated being face down on the floor so we did this as an alternative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by debsch View Post
    Lie yourself down with your back on the floor, put him tummy to tummy with you, and spend some quality one-on-one time with him. My boy thought this was hilarious whenever we did it. He hated being face down on the floor so we did this as an alternative.
    This - or an extension of this would be laying in your back with your knees pulled up to your chest height. You then lay bub on their belly across your legs, so they are looking directly down at you.

This is what they do at Gymbaroo for babies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have a baby carrier like an ergo or something similar? Bubs use similar muscles when sitting upright in the carrier as with tummy time

Thanks
    Reviews
    I honestly wouldn't even worry. Just go with whatever keeps him happy. After hearing all the ranting about TT I was so stressed because my bub wasn't interested and would scream every time I tried it. But when she was ready to crawl she was off at 6 months without much TT and walked at 8.5 months. I don't think it has anything to do with TT but genetics. Bubs always tell us what they want

Thanks
    Reviews
    As pp suggest, lay down with him, out him on your chest etc. Also having them up on your shoulder uses similar muscles.

But honestly don't stress. I was super worried about my DS not having enough tummy time as he screamed when on it and then when he started rolling tummy to back it made it even worse. As long as you try that is all you can do. I aimed for several times a day of even just three minutes, which at times I had to hold his bum so he couldn't roll over. But having reflux made it hard as he mostly screamed when on his tummy.

He is now 6 months old and rolling back to tummy and is super strong in his upper body. Does push ups all the time and has even started backwards crawling. He also now plays on his tummy heaps. I believe because he puts himself there so he has more control over what he wants to do.