+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Well to the PP if you look at the world most rich people's list you would find atleast three people from India in that list...we cannot pin point to see Australians are better off or worse than people in India..

Sent from my HTC One X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by disco86 View Post
    Well to the PP if you look at the world most rich people's list you would find atleast three people from India in that list...we cannot pin point to see Australians are better off or worse than people in India..

Sent from my HTC One X
    India has over a billion people so there is bound to be a few that are very rich. There is no welfare system in India people are dying of poverty and starvation. I would say Australians, generally, even those on welfare are better off than the poor of India.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (08-05-2013),beebs  (07-05-2013),Benji  (08-05-2013),Gothel  (07-05-2013),sunnyflower  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    You have 2 mouths to feed so you would. I have 6 - I'd not be doing it tough by any stretch but I wouldn't feel rich. Horses for courses.
    Not quite sure why you've bought this up - I wasn't referring to you or anyone but anyway... Presumably you have 6 because you could afford them? That makes you pretty well-off in my book. Otherwise you would not have had 6 kids? I'm not sure about that logic. Either way, I'm not sure why I am called out regarding my own feelings?

This is a thread about people claiming poverty when clearly they aren't.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Anyone who thinks that's living below the poverty line is a complete moron.

I bet they're the types to say, "life is such a struggle... I mean, we can barely afford the foxtel bill and private school fees."

Cry me an effing river.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-05-2013),beebs  (07-05-2013),hopefulmama2b  (07-05-2013),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (07-05-2013),Pregnor  (07-05-2013),risfaerie  (07-05-2013),twotrunks  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha, ha ha, ha ha ha!!!

Df starts a new job on Monday (yay!) and will bring home approx $600 after tax. We're ok with that. We can live with that. I think that puts us close to the poverty line but eh!

I think your friend needs a reality check op

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfblady72 View Post
    Hi

just curious...was out recently and someone mentioned that they are living below the 'poverty line'...their income was approx 100k gross, they got about 200 a fortnight on family tax, have 2 properties, one pays the mortgage for itself in rental so its an investment property, the other is a smallish mortgage.....is this really poverty? I kinda didn't know what to say, the person seemed upset by thier situation....but it got me thinking....is this actually 'poverty'?
    Whaaaat?? This is effectively us! And I thought we were doing, well, pretty well!!! How the f do they money from the gov coz we dont get a cent!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    Not quite sure why you've bought this up - I wasn't referring to you or anyone but anyway... Presumably you have 6 because you could afford them? That makes you pretty well-off in my book. Otherwise you would not have had 6 kids? I'm not sure about that logic. Either way, I'm not sure why I am called out regarding my own feelings?

This is a thread about people claiming poverty when clearly they aren't.
    Sorry you've taken it way out of context. All I was saying is I do get why some people think earning $100k doesn't make them "rich" but someone who has eg fewer kids would feel far better off on $100k. I only referenced you and me as you made the initial comment.

Just to make it clear $100k is not poverty. Never said it was. Just saying depending entirely on your personal circumstances you (and not you personally just the generic you) might not feel rich.

And having 4 kids has nothing to do with money. Ask anewme about that. But no I'm not poor. But I know how to live within my means.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Clementine Grace  (08-05-2013),hopefulmama2b  (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Sorry you've taken it way out of context. All I was saying is I do get why some people think earning $100k doesn't make them "rich" but someone who has eg fewer kids would feel far better off on $100k. I only referenced you and me as you made the initial comment.

Just to make it clear $100k is not poverty. Never said it was. Just saying depending entirely on your personal circumstances you (and not you personally just the generic you) might not feel rich.

And having 4 kids has nothing to do with money. Ask anewme about that. But no I'm not poor. But I know how to live within my means.
    Ok no worries, I understood your initial context. I only presumed about you having a big family due to having plenty if money because you've said you went through many years of IVF? I didn't mean that everyone with lots of kids have lots of money. I know people's circumstances can change drastically virtually overnight - I know that better than most

I wasn't even thinking about kids when I made the comment about 100k being rich (well very well off)... I would think it regardless. Like if someone said they earn 100k I'd think that's awesome but it wouldn't occur to me to ask 'yeah, but how many kids do you have?' Lol

I understand your point though - I guess I just didn't see how it relayed to my point.

For the record to people out there who think its so much cheaper having just 2 mouths to feed... I still have to pay the same as a larger *generic* family (2 kids 2 adults) for things, and I can't split things in half at the supermarket, I pay the same rent as if a larger family were living here etc. lol but that's another thread!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    For the record to people out there who think its so much cheaper having just 2 mouths to feed... I still have to pay the same as a larger *generic* family (2 kids 2 adults) for things, and I can't split things in half at the supermarket, I pay the same rent as if a larger family were living here etc. lol but that's another thread!!
    Although usually when you have four, you have to upgrade your car and your house, and often have multiple kids in nappies etc.

But I get what you are saying, we earn close to that with me being SAHM, and I sometimes find it hard to juggle, our outgoings are very high. But I would never ever think we were poor, and I believe we are very lucky that I can afford to be off work indefinitely etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pisang View Post
    Don't know how they are getting centrelink..

But I agree with others that they are asset rich. So after paying bills etc for both houses maybe with the cash left over they struggle to pay phone bills, and things they WANT. So makes her sad she can't throw money at WANTS do considers herself poor.

My brother is like that. Says they don't have the money for this and that but he has 3 houses and a high paying job. All the money goes on investments.. So he acts poor but he could easily just sell a house!
    yes i agree with...and with there being a lot of "middle class poor" mentality these days. i think TBH that this is what the person who said it actually meant but it was the use of the word "poverty" that i found hard to cop....i guess it offended me. personally i think its all about the world we live in ie just buy stuff stuff and more stuff...new stuff, holidays, nice clothes etc and if u cant afford it on a so called "decent" wage then u think you are "stuggling" etc when u arent really compared to those who earn wayyyyy less...

...sorry didnt want to open a can worms but i can tell from the emotion here that at least me feeling annoyed by the saying "under the poverty line" was validated..its just really got to me.