+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm constantly amazed at how much people know about other people's financial circumstances.

I have absolutely no idea how much or how little my friends and acquaintances receive from Centrelink, nor how much they earn. I mean I could probably ballpark their income, but I don't know details.

Obviously the couple in the OP aren't literally on the poverty line, but I often hear 'on the poverty line' or 'on the bread line' used as an expression. I've never assumed any of the people who have used it think they are ACTUALLY on the bread line, just they are saying that they don't happen to have a lot of cash at that particular moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If someone said what was said in the OP to me, I would assume that they were just using the expression poverty line but didn't really mean it.

A lot of people have assets and good jobs but it doesn't mean they're not cash poor. It also doesn't mean they "suck" at managing money either. Sometimes investments fall through, sometimes massive bills come up that can cause stress for months. We don't know anyone elses financial situation.

If the person did really mean what they said and it wasn't just an expression, well then... that's just odd and I hope they never really experience poverty. But it is possible to still stress about money and live week to week on a larger income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    They must be rorting because 100k doesn't allow that much ftb
    Last edited by BigRedV; 07-05-2013 at 17:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend has 3 kids and on 100 k a year and gets $200 a fortnight ftb they declare everything as he has a government job. If only one person is earning the lot then yes you do get that much as they pay higher taxes then if the income was split between 2 people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

One works the other doesnt work....not self employed. it was just something they said in convo, its always been we are so broke etc etc...but the person clearly said " we are below the poverty line" ....i dont know why this person tells me these details tbh about thier income etc.i dont want to know! ..i say nothing cos deep down i think she compares herself to some wealthy ppl she knows ( ie apartments on sydney harbour kinda wealthy) .....i believe she bought a new property so thy could use the other to fund retirement as her partner is a lot older and has almost no super etc....im just sick of the whining about being so broke....i just didnt want to jump to conclusions but it does seem from others responses that such a statement is quite ridiculous. I get that they are not rolling i n cash, but ' poverty" ....mmmmm its ott.
    Last edited by jfblady72; 07-05-2013 at 18:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    We live on less than half of that (combined) for the 7 of us ( plus 1 away uni) and we are no where near the poverty line. We are paying of our own home. We have 4 at private school and 1 at uni
    Can you please do my budget??! You live on less than $50k with 7 AND can afford private school?? Good on you

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (07-05-2013),babybabycakes  (07-05-2013),LoveLivesHere  (07-05-2013),Mellybel  (08-05-2013),munchkin275  (07-05-2013),NancyBlackett  (07-05-2013),twotrunks  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    It seems the more people have, the more they think they need.

If you own a house/asset(s) you are not poor by any stretch of the word. If you have cash flow issues then you suck at managing your money and spend too much on stuff you can't afford.
    Fair call.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Can you please do my budget??! You live on less than $50k with 7 AND can afford private school?? Good on you
    I don't feel like we give anywhere near the poverty line.

It is all a matter of living within your means.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 07-05-2013 at 20:05.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would like to know how they are receiving centre link assistance if their income is $100,000. How does the op really know what this person is earning? Having 2 properties doesn't mean they have a rental property that is earning them money, it could be vacant land. I wouldn't call earning $100,000 poverty. But people need to consider that they don't know what others expenses are, they could be paying a variety of things such as lawyers fees, medical expenses, hex debt , paying for study etc. Just because to some $100,000 is a lot of money doesn't mean that those earning it aren't living within their means when they have a gripe. No one has a clue about others expenses, their money may be paying for expenses out of their control.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

TimeForWine  (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by our3boys View Post
    My friend has 3 kids and on 100 k a year and gets $200 a fortnight ftb they declare everything as he has a government job. If only one person is earning the lot then yes you do get that much as they pay higher taxes then if the income was split between 2 people.
    That wasn't the case for us. After my husbands accident at the time I worked full time and he couldn't. We got absolutely nothing from centre link because we earned too much. All benefits were cut out once I started working a second job and hit earning $94,000 or thereabouts.