+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Although usually when you have four, you have to upgrade your car and your house, and often have multiple kids in nappies etc.

But I get what you are saying, we earn close to that with me being SAHM, and I sometimes find it hard to juggle, our outgoings are very high. But I would never ever think we were poor, and I believe we are very lucky that I can afford to be off work indefinitely etc.
    Yep you would definitely have bigger shopping bills no doubt! I'm the opposite I need a smaller house but have to live here as I have pets. But the rent is high and even smaller places aren't much cheaper around here.

Im about to start a job on 73k per year pro-rata (only working part-time) and I'll be rich compared to now. I've been living on much, much less than that.

Still, I put money aside into savings every week and don't touch it (even though I really need to touch it!! Lol). But I refuse to touch it. I budget very very well as I've had much practice. I even take food everywhere and very very rarely but food (take-away). It would certainly be harder with more kids. But then I don't have the capacity fir a second income as I'm single (and not looking).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    She has caught affluenza, it's highly contagious.

http://www.buynothingnew.com.au/gotaffluenza/
    Haven't seen this before - clever

Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanicecream View Post
    To be honest, I feel sorry for them...living beneath the stupidity line like that.
    GOLD!

Mel x

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellybel For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I thought you were against people receiving centrelink benefits? Or is it just those that aren't you?
    How rude you are! I'm not against those on benefits that need it. People living on centre link benefits forever and day because they don't do anything to better their situation and get off their a**** and get a job is what I'm against. Nor was I complaining about benefits being cut when our income got too high the only time ever we had been receiving anything from centrelink, I was merely stating it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely not poverty, but it doesn't mean that they can't be struggling either. We are currently on a single income not by choice, DF earns 120k a year gross and often we find ourselves struggling for cash some weeks. We do not live extravagantly - no internet, no foxtel, no take away food, no going out every week and we don't buy stuff just for the sake of it etc but we do rent, pay a mortgage (a block of land that we are unable to build on yet), and have some pretty expensive lawyer fees. Something that also makes it hard is CSA (I hope no one takes offense to this) I'm not having a whinge about CSA itself, and paying it isn't the issue. It's the fact that DF does roster work and the way he gets paid and the way his roster is means sometimes he ends up paying 2 weeks worth of CSA out of 1 weeks worth of work. With his CSA being $300 a week this can make things a little tight but we manage

But I think as far as what people spend on living expenses can also come down to where you live. Where we live is really remote so everything is so much more expensive it's ridiculous. It makes a big impact when it comes to simple things like fueling up the car and grocery shopping

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I haven't read the responses but to me a statement like that is disrespectful to those who are truly poor. Funny you mentioned this, I have a so-called friend hounding me to take on her daughter while she works because they "can't afford child care" and yet have a home of their own, expensive car, and investment property - and outearns my household!!!! I think if one has a second mortgage, yet "can't afford" everyday expenses they are in some serious need of some financial counselling. To me, an investment property is not a necessary expense so no way would I consider it poverty..just poor money management.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You know what frustrates me? I had $50 one fortnight to buy food to last us for a week until I got paid again. With that $50 I managed to buy bread, milk, cheap fruit, some meat and frozen veg. Nothing special but it kept us going, and it was all the no-name cheapest brand stuff we could find. The basket was half full.

The next fortnight I bought things that we didn't 'need' ie. carpet deodorizer, a nicer shampoo and conditioner (because I didn't like the ones we already had ), other stuff like that which I was either replacing something we already had or could VERY easily have done without. A basket full of stuff and I mean FULL. I almost couldn't carry it and had to get a trolley.

First basket of basic essentials for a family of four? $50 and that was scrimping every cent. $50.
    Second basket piled high with didn't-really-need-its and things that I could have put off for another week or two, or even just sucked it up and used what we had? $70. Only $20 difference between a basket of junk that wasn't desperately needed and the basics to get an average family by foodwise.

That one shop made me realise that we really are a family who could cut back very easily in some places. I always think we're scraping by and often we are but it's because of our own spending habits!
    So I can understand why a family with 100k might be struggling at times. But if they're like us then they're probably having problems being reasonable about what they can achieve with the money they have.

Saying that they're living below the poverty line though? That's just bad juju .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Interesting and relevant article

http://www.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/dl-opinion/is-there-such-a-thing-as-the-privileged-poor-20130508-2j731.html.

There is a good comment below about how we tend to compare our finances with our friends, not the country as a whole, and that's how you perceive your level of satisfaction. Lawyers compare themselves financially with other lawyers, rather than teachers and nurses, who likewise don't compare themselves with those who earn less. It's all relative, in terms of perception and how we feel, rather than what is fact. If you know what I mean.

Makes sense to me.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

katemann  (09-05-2013),NancyBlackett  (10-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    that makes perfect sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am in the middle financially, I have a mortgage and like everyone else these days I have a heart attack every time we get the electricity bill - but I save for the things that I need, shoes for the family, clothes etc - because I cannot afford to buy them out right. So sometimes I feel poor, but really... we have a roof over our heads and I put a lot of love into the meals that I cook for my family so I feel I have a lot to be thankful for