+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

ETA: there are some really interesting studies on wealth and the perception of wealth by people. Basically one of the conclusions I read was that families earning around $100k to $140k are often under more pressure than families earning $50 to $70k because those families are more likely to live within their means and focus on needs not wants. It seems the more you earn sometimes the unhappier you are - until you reach a certain level of higher income and you can actually afford those wants as well as the needs.
    I agree with this. When we had a lower income, we made do, we got things done when we could afford.

Now we have a higher income there is a desire to 'get ahead' squirrel away money just incase dh can't work away forever. Also now we have a higher income we pay for things like mobile phones that actually work and a real internet connection! Something we had just gone without.

We also have a second property. It is not a positive thing. It just means extra stress, extra bills to pay. We cannot just sell it, it has been on the market for 6 months, at a price that will be a loss to us

So while we are a lot more comfortable with a higher income, its not without stress and money seems to fly out the door almost as quickly.

Certainly don't live in poverty, though!

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregnor For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Never thought I'd say this, but please God- make me "poor" like her!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregnor View Post
    I agree with this. When we had a lower income, we made do, we got things done when we could afford.

Now we have a higher income there is a desire to 'get ahead' squirrel away money just incase dh can't work away forever. Also now we have a higher income we pay for things like mobile phones that actually work and a real internet connection! Something we had just gone without.

We also have a second property. It is not a positive thing. It just means extra stress, extra bills to pay. We cannot just sell it, it has been on the market for 6 months, at a price that will be a loss to us

So while we are a lot more comfortable with a higher income, its not without stress and money seems to fly out the door almost as quickly.

Certainly don't live in poverty, though!

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub
    Thanks for this - yes this was all I was getting at with last night's post. Not everyone who earns $100k feels "rich", but they are by no means poor.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

kw123  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We earn over $100k and certainly don't feel poor, but definitely not rich.

Can't even afford a house with a third bedroom but that's of course because of where we choose to live, and for us, living in suburbia is not a life we ever want. So it's our choice in that respect.

I don't know anyone who earns six figures who would ever actually say they were poor. Poor cash flow maybe but not actually poor.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    $100k/year is below the poverty line?

Sign me up!

I earn around $35k/year after tax and consider that to be more than adequate for DD and I to live off. Before I left my Ex, that $35k paid for him too.

I think the 'I'm SO poor!' cry is thrown about far too often. Basically all of my friends are 'poor'. However none of them have children, all of them have partners. Minimum combined wage would be at least $70k.

They all buy too much crap. Clothes, electronics, take-out, etc. Makes me cringe....

Thanks
    Reviews
    100k isn't below the poverty line, and it's definitely not rich either. I'd say on that income having more than one property and mortgage I could see why they would be struggling. 100k is a pretty average income. But I do wonder why they are getting $200 in benefits? That seems abit odd to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    We earn over $100k and certainly don't feel poor, but definitely not rich.

Can't even afford a house with a third bedroom but that's of course because of where we choose to live, and for us, living in suburbia is not a life we ever want. So it's our choice in that respect.

I don't know anyone who earns six figures who would ever actually say they were poor. Poor cash flow maybe but not actually poor.
    We are the same. We are certainly not rich, but we are definitely not poor! We moved to a more affordable area so we could afford a house with 4 bedrooms. It's a battleaxe. Behind another house.

We live within our means, regardless of our wages. Aside from our mortgages, we have no debt as we like to pay upfront and only buy what we can afford. I decided that the Joneses sounded really boring years ago!

I think my family are very blessed. We have decent wages, a house, we can pay our bills. Calling myself poor or struggling would be an insult to those who actually are struggling.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

kw123  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think for many in the middle class income range, their concept of "struggling" is skewed. Even on $100k+, you do have periods where you have to tighten your budget, sure. DH and I discuss what we will be spending on bills and expenses each month, and work out what we have left over. Some months we have to live a little more frugally, some months we can have a splurge. I wonder if some people on our incomes consider themselves "struggling" when they are merely having a tight month? We can still afford the basics every month, we can buy our children food without it being financialky stressful. This is not struggling.

To me, struggling is paying your bills and rent, and realising that you will only have $20 to feed your family for a week.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    we got 29,000 last year in taxable income. we live have a roof (rental) pay phone and internet, power and food we may not have much in the way of stuff but we are happy. live right near town no need to drive 5 mins from the beach and parks. Someone on 100,000 may have a big morgage or a big comute to work taking up more petrol. I think poverty is a relative thing as us on 100,000 after living years on the minimum would be obscene we wold probably go overboard spending

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    DH earns 120,000 gross a year. We are definately not living on the bread line with this income. I think coming from earning 45,000 a year for so many yers and living very frugally is made us appreciative of what we have. We don't own any houses as yet but are saving for one are there months when we are cash flow poor yes definately. An ill say I'm broke at the time (have house savings but will not touch them unless 100% nessicary) but I never class us as living on the poverty line.

I will say this going from little to substantially more you do tend to spend more then you need to. I'll any we did to begin with lol but then started saving for out own home ad had car issues and medical issues that all seemed to hit at once it really makes you reassess your finances. We live like we did on 45,000 a year with 120,000 and we've Learnt we can comfortably live that way ad save a lot of money

IMO OP not poverty but maybe cash flow issues

Me (21) DH (25) DS (4) DD (2)
    Sent from a magical mobile bubhub device in a galaxy far far away