+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Damned pregnancy hormones! As pp has said it's normal to feel protective, however the portacot could really come in handy if you are there and bubs needs a sleep. You also don't know what may happen, you may need them to look after bubs in an emergency. Just let them be happy to have it, there is nothing forcing you to leave bubs with them.

In regards to the vaccine, I personally feel this is quite selfish of them to refuse so I can understand your frustration. Perhaps it's a matter of lack of education? Give them stats to read about the reemergence of whooping cough epidemics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally get where you are coming from. My DS is five weeks old and the first grand child on both sides as well, I have found the very excited and well meaning families very full on in my hormonal state.

I have found the best way to deal with it is as a previous poster said is to just try to ignore as really, it's your DS - your call. I am also reluctant to express or mix feed as I feel this is a really good way to make sure I can call the shots lol

Hopefully they settle down once your little one comes along, congratulations!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and as for the vaccine if you and your partner are both vaccinated I would be telling them that they will not be allowed to hold your bubba until they have had it also - hopefully if they see you're serious they will just get it

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Vaccine aside, I think you are overreacting.
    They have bought something to make things easier when bub is at their house (that doesn't mean just being babysat either). They actually want to be apart of bub's life.
    Yep I agree here.
    What if you're at her house and it's bubs nap time? Bam already somewhere to put bub to sleep.
    I know you've been waiting a very long time for this baby and you have your set ideas but I think you need to step back a bit - not everyone is forcing their ways on you when they're just trying to do something nice.

(re vaccine - just don't let them near the baby while they haven't got it, that'll get them running to the doctors to get it done)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (07-05-2013),babyla  (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apart from the Vaccine, you are totally over reacting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep I think you're overreacting.

Haven't read all the posts so I'm sure it's already been said but a portacot is so handy for visiting even if they dot stay the night.

My DS is 11 months and I would have gone loopy if I had never left him! Not saying you'll feel like that, but it is unlikely you won't want a break from your bundle of joy in a whole year. Not saying it needs to be overnight but even if you go out for dinner baby would need somewhere to sleep.

Just relax. At the end of the day nobody is going to make you do anything you're not comfortable with. But grandparents are obviously going to be excited and want to be a part of their life, and you should let them.

I am probably biased as we don't have any family here and would kill for that type of support on tap.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Mellybel  (13-05-2013),Spotdog  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gumnutbaby View Post
    Oh and as for the vaccine if you and your partner are both vaccinated I would be telling them that they will not be allowed to hold your bubba until they have had it also - hopefully if they see you're serious they will just get it
    Agree with this.

A also don't think you are overreacting but I think you are worrying unnecessarily. If you don't want your bubs staying anywhere that's your call and everyone else will need to deal with that. My DS is 14 months and had never stayed anywhere overnight as he is still breastfed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I understand them being excited and the same time I understand why you feel overwhelmed with it all.

I guess what is best for the baby is what matters and if you don't feel comfortable with them babysitting for the first year that is your choice to be made with your partner but you will also need to know that may cause issues with your in laws if not addressed correctly.

I know when my bub is born no one is going to baby sit for a decent 6-9 months and then it will only be my mum! (MIL lives interstate)

As for the WC they need to get that needle, if they refuse then that will be your grounds for not letting them babysit I guess.

It is all about give and take and what makes you happy as a family.

Good luck x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Put it down to the hormones and probably that you don't particularly like your in laws on a good day?
    But yes aside from the vaccine you are over reacting and even then i would not ask for them to go have injections i would put it to them that it is a good idea especially for the baby but i would not have a hissy if they didnt.
    They are allowed to be just as excited as you and I don't feel you should take this excitement away from them.
    You don't need to let your baby have sleepovers or anything like that but having a porta cot at the inlaws is a good idea. Chrissy, Easter, birthdays, lunch, dinners, Mother's Day etc I'm sure you visit them and the cot will be handy to have there when you do visit and baby needs a nap.
    Try not to be so harsh on them

Me -30, DH -30, DS -7, DS -5, DS -2 and UTD with #4 Due Jan 2014

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My parents and parents in law have a lot of baby equipment, and I find it very helpful.

I can understand not wanting to leave your baby when it's very young, but it'd be worth considering at some stage. Only you know what is best in the circumstances...Im just suggesting you keep an open mind. Both grandparents and babies/children can really benefit from these relationships, and it's great for parents to have time as a couple. If they are good, trustworthy people it can be wonderful to have a break now and again. Just yesterday my son spent part of the day with grandma so I could attend an antenatal appointment. When my baby comes, I'll be able to relax knowing he is safe and happy in their care. It is great that he can spend time with them without experiencing separation anxiety.

I have no doubt your baby is much wanted and very precious to you. I can understand...we had a very scary pregnancy with our son and lost three pregnancies before this one. All of us feel this way about our children. Grandparents feel this way, too. The way I look at it, the more people my children have in this world who love them, the better.

I wish you all the best with your baby.