+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spotting/light bleeding before actual period

Hi all,

So...I came off bc pill in December, and since then I've been spotting in the few days leading up to AF. It's definitely been the case for my last 2 cycles.
    Last cycle i had it 2 days prior to my AF due date, and this cycle, well I should be due (by my calculations) on Thursday for full flow AF but have had spotting since Sunday arvo.
    It usually starts off as (sorry if tmi) brownish discharge, then pinkish & the it's actual red blood, but really only when I wipe & not like real AF.

I'm so confused, I used to think this was normal & used it as my warning signal that AF was on her way. But I've been reading that it may actually be highlighting an underlying problem. Like low progesterone, issues ovulating, pcos etc.

I can't help but freak out a bit!

I've been waiting to TTC for what seems like forever, and the idea of possible extra hurdles in the journey is killer!
    I try not to think about it, but I just can't help but stress over it :-(

When I think back to when I was on the pill, I would have some breakthrough bleeding at times, usually mid pack. Drs changed pill types a few times but it often came back eventually.

I just reaching out to anyone that's been in the same situation, and if it did end up being an issue with the TTC???

Thanks in advance ladies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just bumping for any assistance

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have this and it's completely normal for me and I have never had any problems conceiving. Exactly what you are describing is exactly what happens with me - I think a period starting off with spotting is actually very normal but dr google will always give us something to worry about but.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Whoknows For This Useful Post:

Calstar  (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have always had this and I believe I have a LPD. Just need to convince my FS to do further testing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Calstar  (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies.
    I'm going to start charting/temping & doing OPK's and keep TTC.
    I really hope there's no issues

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I spotted about two days before af (it used to be just half a day)...if you're worried about lpd/spotting/progesterone, try taking b vitamins...I did and it reduced my spotting by a day and lengthened my lp by a day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Calstar  (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Calstar - how long are your actual cycles and do you know roughly when you are ovulating?
    My own personal experience - I had the same thing happen to me starting from as early as CD15-18. Which basically meant I wasn't ovulating and my lining was just shedding itself.

I would maybe see about some tests with your GP if the spotting is starting before CD20 or within a few days of when you think you ovulate. Otherwise if you are getting to 25 days + before you start spotting then I wouldn't be overly concerned and would try some of the tips pp's have given.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nirok For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (07-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nirok View Post
    Calstar - how long are your actual cycles and do you know roughly when you are ovulating?
    My own personal experience - I had the same thing happen to me starting from as early as CD15-18. Which basically meant I wasn't ovulating and my lining was just shedding itself.

I would maybe see about some tests with your GP if the spotting is starting before CD20 or within a few days of when you think you ovulate. Otherwise if you are getting to 25 days + before you start spotting then I wouldn't be overly concerned and would try some of the tips pp's have given.
    Hi.
    Actual cycles are averaging at 27 days. My April AF started on 12th April. Think I would have O'd on 24th/25th April, so CD13 or 14...but didn't test so can't be 100%
    Just checked calendar & I got to CD24 before spotting started.

Would appear that AF is here in full force this morning (8th May) so my cycle this month was 26 days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nirok,
    If you didn't mind, would you mind sharing what happened with your personal experience?
    What the problem was, what you did about it etc.?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have different theory. I believe with me it is my sensitive cervix (cervical ectropian) that causes the brown spotting. The pill can cause this to begin, previous pregnancy, and progesterone levels after ovulation.

In the 2nd half of cycle the cervix lowers. What happens to me is I have one day of slight constipation, then it scraps the cervix on way down, causes a graze on cervix, have a little red blood then brown on and off for the next 5 days while it heals. It happens mostly with bowel action

I used to think it was low prog too, until I got preg after 3rd month after having this spotting for the 2 cycles before. I also started temping and discovered that I have a very much a higher temp rise in tww that lasts for about 15 days. So I couldnt have low prog.
    The time I actually fell preg, i had no spotting because the cervix moves up and then was less likely to to sensitive and in the way

I ended up losing that one, but miscarriage doesnt happen from low prog, low prog is a symptom of impending mc.

But. Because you are not temping, I would suggest a prog blood test 7 days after you think you have ovulated, not day 21, because not everyone has 28 day cycles, to find out for sure.

Sorry about babbling lol!
    Good luck

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Calstar  (08-05-2013)