+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Chickenpox Vacc - links to shingles??

Hi guys, not sure if this is the best place to post...

DS is 'due' for this vacc so I have been reading up on it.

I have seen many opinions regarding links to Shingles in children who have had this vacc and lots of comments that Chickenpox is not serious enough to warrant vaccinating against.

I am interested to hear from those who delayed this vacc what your reasons were and for how long did you delay?

Also curious to hear if anyone knows what the implications are if a preschool age /toddler gets Chickenpox, is it worse/more dangerous than a primary school aged child getting infected?

I know that it is supposed to be worse in adults....

Another concern I have is if I fall pregnant later this year and DS gets it, what implications does that have for baby in utero?

I respect that people will likely have strong and opposing views on this and hope that I can gather knowledge and experiences without things turning nasty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The vacc wasn't around for my 2 eldest and they both got chicken pox one aged 4 and the other was 2. I honestly don't see the harm in chicken pox in children under 12....back in our childhood days it was good we got it young....getting it while preg isn't good though and having a child with CP while you are preg also isn't good. These days it's best to get them vax'd I suppose. I have vax'd my youngest 3.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ozeymumof5 For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (06-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wasn't vaccinated and got it when I was 17 in year 12. God it was horrible. I missed a heap of school and fell behind. Took me months to get over it.

Not sure about the link to shingles but I did get shingles when I was 25.

I'm pregnant at the moment and freaking out as I think my DD has slapped cheek which can be bad. I'm not sure how bad chicken pox is in pregnancy but I wish I didn't have this extra stress now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum got it from my cousins at the very end of her pregnancy with me. It didnt present till after i was born so no one knew. She was really ill from it and her milk never came in.
    I don't want to alarm you but if I was you I'd make sure no one around you can pass it on to you or Bubs. I had it by the time I was 5 days old and had to stay in hospital and nearly died from breathing complications related to the chicken pox.
    Last edited by hair; 06-05-2013 at 14:37.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hair For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys! You've given me plenty of food for thought!

I had a full on case of Chicken pox when I was about 13 so hopefully I am well and truly immune! I caught it on purpose from my little sister thinking I'd score time off school....backfired as I got it during the school hol's and my birthday!! 😱

Anyway, I guess I wasn't sure if an unborn baby could still be at risk if I was exposed during pregnancy even if I don't become symptomatic....

Thanks for the link MM I will have a read tonight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This is a genuine question regarding the chickenpox vaccine causing shingles. If this theory turns out to be true, which we won't know for another 20, 30, 40 years. Then what difference will it make if your vaccinated or not? The amount of cases of chickenpox has drastically reduced already, so that means most people will not come into contact with it at all. So doesn't that mean that vaxxed or unvaxxed you still have a higher incidence of shingles (assuming that the unvaxxed kid eventually catches chickenpox).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    However, Beebs being vaccinated or unvaccinated is not determined as to whether this will affect your ability to contract herpes zoster.
    Being unvaxxed and never having chickenpox will affect wether you are able to get shingles though. So why would non vaxxers care about the chickepox vax in the first place?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was only asking a question.

And it isn't like you and other non / delayed vaxxers don't come into the pro vaccination section all of the time.

If you don't know the answer, you can just say so and I'll go look for it elsewhere

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, the immunisation handbook is the resource that health professionals use:

Congenital varicella syndrome has been reported after varicella infection in pregnancy and may result in skin scarring, limb defects, ocular anomalies and neurologic malformations.1,5 There is a higher risk to the fetus if maternal infection occurs in the second trimester compared with infection in the first trimester (1.4% versus 0.55%).6 Infants with intrauterine exposure also risk developing herpes zoster in infancy (0.8–1.7%), with the greatest risk following exposure in the third trimester.5 Severe neonatal varicella infection can result from perinatal maternal varicella.7 The onset of varicella in pregnant women from 5 days before delivery to 2 days after delivery is estimated to result in severe varicella in 17 to 30% of their newborn infants.1,7
    Reactivation of latent VZV as a result of waning cellular immunity results in herpes zoster (HZ), a localised vesicular rash. HZ can occur at any age, but is more common in older adults and persons who are immunocompromised. Complications may include post-herpetic neuralgia and disseminated zoster with visceral, central nervous system and pulmonary involvement1 (see 4.24 Zoster).

There has been no evidence of a change in the rates of herpes zoster incidence, healthcare utilisation or hospitalisations in the United States21,22or hospitalisations in Australia14,15 attributable to the introduction of the varicella vaccine, although herpes zoster rates in children have declined in the United States.23,24

Herpes zoster (HZ) has been reported rarely in vaccine recipients and has been attributed to both the vaccine strain and to wild-type varicella virus reactivation.74 Reactivation of the vaccine virus resulting in HZ is rare and most cases of HZ in vaccine recipients can be attributed to reactivation of wild-type virus following unrecognised prior infection. The risk of developing HZ is currently thought to be lower after vaccination than after natural varicella virus infection, and reported cases have been mild.2 Rates of herpes zoster in children 0–9 years of age after natural VZV infection were estimated to be between 30 and 74 per 100 000 per year,82,83 while a rate of 22 per 100 000 person-years was reported in a 9-year follow-up of 7000 varicella vaccinated children.27 (See also 4.24 Zoster.)

You can access any more info on it online
    Cheers

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tippytoes For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (08-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to say the I appreciate advice, comments and experience from all perspectives on this as I am undecided and looking to educate myself from all angles.

This is why I was uncertain which section to post it in...pondered putting it in general but was worried that would have just turned into a fight before I actually got to hear some facts and valuable experiences shared.

So to all who have posted I appreciate it and am truly wanting to look at this from all angles.

For the record DS has received all other vacc's almost on time (only delays have been minor due to illness).

This one has me undecided though....