+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you have access to another LC through your hospital? It might be worth getting another opinion.

My DS had tongue tie which made feeding really painful - but getting the tie seen too (snipped) really helped. So did nipple shields - maybe give them a try too?

I hope you get some relief soon!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Turk EnJayDee  (06-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    she has been checked for tongue tie and she doesn't have one but thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    Do you have access to another LC through your hospital? It might be worth getting another opinion.

My DS had tongue tie which made feeding really painful - but getting the tie seen too (snipped) really helped. So did nipple shields - maybe give them a try too?

I hope you get some relief soon!
    Oh nipple shields were a lifesaver.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaBailey View Post
    she has been checked for tongue tie and she doesn't have one but thanks for the suggestions.
    I know but get her checked again. A posterior tie is easily missed.

Good luck

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

bressar  (06-05-2013),Turk EnJayDee  (06-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does sound like a possible posterior tie. Nipple shields are worth a try. The other thing to remember is it will get easier as her little mouth grows. Those first few weeks were so painful for me, on one side in particular. Latching one was a toe curling, eye watering experience. It slowly got better with perseverance and a few little tricks. Firstly, go to woollies and buy some paw paw cream- woollies has one in the baby section that has no petrochemicals- Lucas paw paw is in a petroleum base. Slather this on between feeds. My other life saver? Hydrogel breast discs by rite aid. I got mine at big w. pop them in the fridge. So much relief. These really helped heal my grazes.
    In the meantime get your LOs tongue checked out and perhaps see another LC for latch help.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi I'm another one who had a 'clicky' feeder, what you described is EXACTLY what he used to do and he also had a posterior tongue tie. I know exactly what you are going through, and it is HELL! Only I had twins, so I had to feed TWO of them!!! Luckily the other one was a great feeder! I expressed a lot to give my nipples a bit of a break so they could heal, and I eventually saw a great LC who snipped it. She said it can be very difficult to see a posterior tongue tie, they don't look that bad, but if its causing you feeding issues its worth snipping.

I had never heard of tongue tie before my son (not the twin- the one before them) was born and he was a terrible feeder, he was gaining weight and getting heaps of milk but it was hurting me SO much, it wasn't til a mum at school suggested getting his tongue checked, I'd seen two different LC and my MCHN, who all helped but NONE of them picked up his posterior tongue tie. So worth getting a second opinion.

Hang in there, it does get better, after snipping it it improved, but even before it was snipped it wasn't as bad 6 weeks in as it was 3 weeks in. I also had problems bf my eldest daughter as well, and she had no tongue tie (that I know of but I never saw a LC), and it was a good few weeks til she fed pain-free. But so worth the rocky start. Maybe set yourself a goal? I said 6 weeks, and if it was still too painful, I'd supplement with formula (but try to still bf some feeds). Luckily we got our sh!t together before then

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was exactly like your daughter. Made a clicking noise when feeding, was a greedy and powerful sucker and caused me lots of pain! He also did not have a tongue tie.

I will be completely honest, the only thing that helped was time. By just over 3 months we were feeding pain free and I continued until 18 months. I think as his mouth got bigger and he could fit more of my breast in his mouth, it hurt less. I saw 4 different lcs, one I saw weekly for a month. They never worked out what was wrong unfortunately. Attachment was great, no tongue tie, no thrush, no vasospasm...

But, and this is the big but! I went on to love feeding my son and was very sad when we weaned! I am currently 27 weeks and can't wait to do it again, so there is hope.

Things that helped me get through. Gel breast pads. Gentle bathing in salt water. Lots of deep breathing during feeds. Double feeding, so one side for two feeds and then the other for two feeds while he was little, this helpseach nipple have a rest.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Lewbaby; 06-05-2013 at 10:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also wiggle your toes and really focus on that while feeding, when I was dealing with painful feeds it distracted me from the pain

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks so much for all the tips ladies! makes me feel a lot better. I'm going to continue and see how we go, I'll get her tongue checked again and give the feeding twice on each side a go to give them a longer break

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't rule out an upper lip tie also. My DD was a clicky feeder for first 8weeks and it hurt to feed her and i knew something just wasn't right (fed my DS for 20mths) had her checked by 2LC's, paed, GP and GP/LC who all said no tongue tie and not a significant enough upper lip tie. I was referred to a paediatric dentist in the city for their opinion but didn't take DD as she was 4mths by that stage and i didn't want them to snip anything and make it worse when the problems had resolved. DD is nearly 6mths is on solids now and is still a very keen breastfed bub.
    If you want any numbers (LC's, ABA local groups, dentist, GP etc) please PM me and i can help with people in Perth who may be able to help if you want