+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What blood tests are done to check for immune problems/high natural killer cells?

I have alot of questions about high natural killer cells & auto immune problems causing miscarriage. Does anyone know what blood tests you get done to check for immune problems as a possible cause for miscarriage? And also what is the name of the blood test they do to check for high natural killer cells? Do other tests have to come back abnormal before they check for high natural killer cells?

Can a GP do these blood tests or does a FS have to do them? Are they covered by Medicare or is there a fee? Do all FS check to rule out possible immune system problems?

What symptoms did any of you have before you found out if you have an immune problem or high natural killer cells?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hummingbird! Where to start... There are so many tests, I have had about 30 vials of blood taken over the last 6 months with possibly more to come. Have also had a biopsy/laparoscopy/hysteroscopy and waiting on the results now. I have no symptoms other than having had 4 miscarriages. I would suggest that it's better to see an FS or reproductive immunologist (we see dr Matthias in Sydney). Your gp could probably order the tests but may not be able to interpret them correctly or know.exactly what to test for. Feel free to join our thread on nk cells, the ladies there may be able to help answer your questions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks alot for ur reply timetoshine, I will repost my question in the NK cells thread thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hummingbird, was just going through all my results and thought I would let you know what tests I had in case you are still wondering
    Thyroid function tests, lupus anticoagulant inhibitor, ANA, cardio lipin IgG, ENA, factor v Leiden, free protein S, anti thrombin, protein C, HBA1C/GTT, vitamin d, homocysteine, phenotyping (this is the nk blood tests, they check for cd3, cd4, cd8, cd56 and cd19), IgA, IgM, IgG, prothrombin gene mutation, thyroid antibodies, antidna antibodies, antisperm antibodies, mthfr mutation, amh. These were all blood tests. Besides that I had a laparoscopy which found endometriosis that I never knew I had and an endometrial biopsy which tested for nk cells in my uterus. He also had a look in my uterus and ran dye through my tubes to make sure it was all working correctly. Hope that helps you on your quest for info

5. The Following User Says Thank You to timetoshine For This Useful Post:

StillHope  (21-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you SO much timetoshine! That information is a great help, I appreciate it.

We're these the tests that ur FS did when u had recurrent miscarriages?

Is the phenotyping test (the one u said is for NK cells) is that the one done here in Australia? Or is that the one that is sent to Chicago?

Do you remember roughly how much it cost you to get all of these done?

Thanks again
    Last edited by hummingbird1; 27-05-2013 at 15:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All my blood tests were done in Australia and most were bulk billed. I had to pay for mthfr and amh. They were about $180-200 all together. I had most of them done by my fs after my 2 mcs last year but the only thing that showed up was very high ANA. She said that wasn't an issue on its own but my gut feeling said it was. I went to see dr m and he tested for antidna, antis perm, amh, mthfr and IgA, IgM, IgG. And he did the biopsy etc. thankfully I did because I came up positive for mthfr and high level of uterine nk cells. I would say your gp can order most of the tests if you know what to ask for. I am not seeing the fs anymore as we are trying naturally under dr m's guidance/meds and will see my gp for blood tests once I fall pregnant, until it is time to see the ob

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are extra tests that can go to Chicago if the aus tests don't show the problem and they are expensive (around $2k i think with freight?) but dr m said I didn't need them as the outcome wouldn't change my treatment

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll definately have a look into getting those tests. I just looked up the phenotyping one quickly and it sounded like it was something to do with which blood group you are? I.e. A, O or B positive/negative etc. is that def the NK cells test? Or is there different sorts of phenotyping tests?

It's all so confusing. I wish I understood medical things more than I do!

Sounds like your on the right track with Dr M. He sounds fantastic from what ive read in the forums.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There might be different types of phenotyping... The results sheet actually lists cd4 and my level , cd4 pos and my level, cd8 and my level, cd8 pos and my level etc. cd56 are the nk cells

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like there is a few different sorts of phenotyping I'll have a look into it! Thanks so much again!