+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was breastfed until 10 months. I have no health issues at all.

My younger sister was also breastfed for 10 months and although she tended to get sick more often than me as a child (gastro more than anything), she is now very healthy too with no health problems at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    6 weeks that sucks! Your poor mum.

With my mum I'm not saying we have a bad relationship because she FF me. I'm saying her reasons for FF'ing (not wanting anyone to touch her nipples not even her new baby) were a red flag and indicative of deeper issues that were the root cause of her well .. Not being the best mum. I have no doubt there are FF mums on here that have close relationships with their kids.
    Yeah she was a nurse and worked nights and then looked after my brother and I in the day while dad worked. Not every day but at least 3/4 days like that. Don't know how she did it.

We have an unusually close relationship. I adore her. Even though she lives a million miles away

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I was bf until I self weaned at around 10 months (I think). All my siblings were bf until we self weaned (under 12 months) except for my oldest brother who was weaned at 12 weeks on the recommendation of my mother's GP, who thought bf was in "inconvenience" to the modern woman (it was the 60's). She as only 21 so did has he suggested.

My mother deeply regrets this decision as she feels it impacted negatively on her relationship with him. She had struggled with PND and bf was difficult but she got to 12 weeks and was very proud of herself, only to be told it was time to wean. She hated giving him bottles and I think it was a pretty bad time for them both.

My 3 siblings and I all have well above average intelligence and few health issues, but my family is plagued by depression and autism (which I don't think has anything to do with how we were fed).

My mother's experience taught me that whatever decision a mother makes in relation to how they feed their baby, it should be one she is happy with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was ff from around 6 week. Same for my brother and sister.
    From what mum says, sounds like she had oversupply issues and painful engorgement. Not a lot if bf support in the 80s.

She also smoked while pregnant .

I had v mild eczema as a child, still get asthma and hayfever. However Dad has these issues too so very possibly genetic. My brother is the same (although eczema worse) but I also have some milk food tolerances like wheat and dairy if I eat too much over a period of time. As a child I got gastro a lot, my brother had lots if ear infections.

My sister is trouble free! Never got sick as a child, still rarely now.

We're all smart individually at different things but a big gap academically if that's what you mean. But I don't place intelligence on finishing school or uni.

I bf DS1 for 14 months. Currently b'feeding DS2 (5 months) and struggling with attachment but still pushing through. I hope to b'feed him for at least 12 months also.

I didn't even know if I was b'fed until last year when I asked mum, so no impact on my decision. Also no bonding issues. She's very close to all of us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was breastfed from 6 weeks old because I was dropping weight and mum had no supply. My siblings were FF from birth. No bonding issues here.

We have no medical issues whatsoever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mother tells me nothing but I'm pretty sure I was FF. I have no alergy's, completely healthy (well not mentally) but that's my problem and nothing to do with my babyhood.
    My younger brother is screwed up but also nothing to do with bf/ff...our problems are to do with bullying at school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was formula fed, I was born 2 months prem, so wasn't too capable of B/feeding. I don't notice any difference, but then again would I notice? I don't know any different so I can miss what I don't know.. You know?

My mum also died when I was 10, so my decision to then go on and FF my kids was probably because i grew up without a mum, and I'm not close to my sisters.

However my kids got the initial colostrum then went to Formula, nether of them have any allergies, they are rarely ill.

~Isla Rohmaine arriving sept 2013 and a baby makes 3!
    Last edited by Twoalready; 06-05-2013 at 12:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i was bf til 3 months then put on diluted sweetened condensed milk by doc orders ...yes seriously !!!! i have no allergies but i am addicted to sugar massively and an emotional eater....try to control both!

sister was ff and she has quite bad hayfever, is allergic to most shellfish too but also a chocoholic so maybe its gentic lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am middle of 5 kids. Youngest 2 were bf till 21 & 22 months. Older 3 were ff. youngest 2 are constantly ill, particularly youngest - ALWAYS coughing & carrying on, it's gross!! Youngest 2 have close bond with our mother. Older two have moderate bonding I guess. I have zero bond, often ignore her phone calls, moved only grandchild interstate etc. I am the only girl so perhaps she bonded better to male babies (she is Asian so possibly cultural?).
    As for smarts. I am the dropkick in my family. I was a high performing sales person before starting my own very successful business then having DD. I am now studying teaching. So I think we've all done ok brain-wise.