+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Help with intolerance

My 11 week old daughter has struggled with feeding pretty much since day one. , even when breast fed. She grunts & groans during & after feeding, cries during feeds & arches her back & won't take much food. She also has disturbed sleep due to her belly. She is currently on soy after trying a number of others including pepti junior which was pediatrician prescribed. The pepti gave her severe diarrhea after a week. She is also on a reflux med called Zoton. I feel like I am bashing my head against a brick wall. The GPs say there is nothing they can do & to see the pediatrician again which I'm about to do but I feel like he doesn't really listen & has already decided what is wrong with her. She has been diagnosed with colic & reflux but to be honest I think it's her belly & the food going in as the discomfort is instant. Any ideas? I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know exactly how you feel, DD had this as well, I changed to Karicare Goat noticed a huge difference within 24hrs and the reflux stopped within a week, she was a much happier settled baby after that

3. The Following User Says Thank You to firsttimemummatobe For This Useful Post:

Kaparach  (05-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    have you tried the novalac reflux or colic formula?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

Kaparach  (05-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No Minchi. Are they by prescription or over the counter? I'm still not convinced she has colic as the majority of the protesting and pain is during the feed rather than later on. I know that it could be reflux but thought the reflux meds would be taking care of that, but there is no noticeable difference. She is just such a happy thing when she's not eating.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi. Not sure I can help but this is my experience...my bub is five months and we are still struggling with the same stuff.

We went through using karicare stage 1 formula, she had bad constipation. And suspected cmpi. So tried pepti junior. It also gave her diarrhea. So stopped and tried bellamys organic. We are still trialling it. She also has reflux and is on Zantac. Is zoton similar? I've not heard of it.
    Does your pead suspect cmpi? Which was why switching to pepti junior? Pepti tastes foul so that can be areas on bub refuses it and is fussy to feed. There is another prescription formula called elecare, which is often used for cmpi.... Though why does paed think your bub has cmpi? As I understand it, if all symptoms start to lessen on pepti then probably it is cmpi...otherwise it's something else? Has there been explosive diarrhea, blood in stools or screaming after a feed? That can be signs of cmpi.

There is a relatively new formula called allerpro that is karicare that apparently quite good, for babies with intolerances. My baby refused soy, chucked it back up several times, kiddies who have cmpi often have soy I tolerance too.

Maybe it's the bottles? They are too fast flow or not enough? It's sooooo hard to figure out what the problem is. I'm trying to think of other things.... We've been battling this for several months and still trying to figure out the best answer!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Kaparach  (06-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tamtam has great advice above.

OP, usually with CMPI there are external symptoms as well as the internal pain you have described.

Does your bub:-
    - have bowel issues (diarrhea, or blood, or mucous)
    - excessive vomiting
    - rash of any kind

All kids suffer differently, but generally at least one of the above would be experienced if an intolerance is apparent.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Kaparach  (06-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Tamtam. Same here. Tried normal formula which resulted in lots of crying, back arching & infrequent poos. Then tried Bellamys organic with no difference. Pediatrician suspected cpmi so put her on pepti junior which gave her diarrhea. That said she had no issue with the taste. GP suggested trying soy which is what she is on now and although she doesn't have diarrhea she is not happy and cries before I even feed her when I start to get her ready, during & after. The Zoton is for reflux & was prescribed by the pediatrician after trying Losec. It tasted terrible & she wouldn't take it.

To be honest I'm not sure what a normal poo looks like as every nappy is pretty much liquid. If that's normal for babies then ok otherwise she has permanent diarrhea. Screams both during and after a feed.

i think the bottles are fine. I use medela with the calma teats which requires them to suck to get the milk rather than free flow. They have an inbuilt valve to reduce air getting in & therefore reducing wind.

I'm not sure about the genetics of intolerance but if it can be genetic then it could be from hubby as he has tummy issues especially with dairy. As an aside she is constantly stretching as it seems to help her. Everytim she's on her back she's trying to stretch.

She doesn't have any external symptoms other than the diarrhea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What a nightmare. Gosh I honestly feel I know what you're going through, I feel like I talk to my paediatrician and my dd nutritionist/dietician every day!
    How long did you do pepti junior for? Was there any lessening of symptoms like the crying and irritability?
    Do you think the soy formula is working? How long have you tried it? Being that your bub isn't very old I doubt you've had much opportunity to change things... My paed says you have to give a formula change at least two weeks before you should see a total change of symptoms. There's been no blood or mucous in the stools? Is the diarrhea foamy? Bit tmi!
    Being only a few months ahead of you I don't have that much expertise but I'm a listening ear!

Do you think the reflux meds are working? Sounds like they maybe arent? Or it's soy intolerance too which isn't uncommon for bubs who have cmpi...also I've heard 'talk' that soy isn't tolerated well in bubs less than six months so it's not usually used.

You've probably tried these things, but what about feeding bub in a more upright position, then holding upright or sitting more up in a bouncer for 20mins after a feeds. If its reflux that can help a lot.

Thickening the feed can also work, did your paed suggest that? But then you have to find the right feed! When are you seeing your paed again? I hope it's soon as I know what it feels like to watch your child be so miserable. We have constant constipation issues with my dd too, and now just starting to used coloxyl drops three times a day to see if that will get her regular.

Sorry...just thinking out loud for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparach View Post
    No Minchi. Are they by prescription or over the counter? I'm still not convinced she has colic as the majority of the protesting and pain is during the feed rather than later on. I know that it could be reflux but thought the reflux meds would be taking care of that, but there is no noticeable difference. She is just such a happy thing when she's not eating.
    Hi, you can only buy the Novalac range at chemists.. not at supermarkets..if you google product review novalac colic or reflux for instance, you will read up people's experiences with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How are things going?