+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default baby wearing -sling/carrier questions or advice please

My baby is 9 weeks old now. Since about 5 weeks old, she was in the HUB and seemed to like it. I could take her to school and some days do chores around the house etc. But only small bits here and there.

Just to be clear though, I have not worn her extensively, nor do plan to (yet I haven’t plonked her in there and expected her to cope either). I am guessing that some posters might say this is why I am having the problem I am having.

I also do not plan to BF her in the carrier unless we’re out etc, not that I am opposed to it but I am not keen on walking the dog and BF at the same time. She normally goes in after a feed and until recently there has been no problem.

Now she has just started to become really upset when placed in any of the carriers mentioned. She squirms, gets frustrated and then cries. She is not a crier at all so I am really caught off guard by this. She seems to always want to move her legs and rarely keeps her body still. I am not too keen on baby bjorn but I do wonder if after a month or so if this would suit her better?

There is a good chance she is smelling my milk yet, she is not hungry and as mentioned I am not comfortable having the boob out constantly while she’s in there. This of course depends on what I am doing at the time. She goes in after a feed.

I am thinking of going to a local meet to have a look at some other slings but I can’t keep buying carriers. It’s getting pricey if though I am buying 2nd hand!
    Any ideas or suggestions?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post:

carleena  (05-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't have advice as such, but just thought I'd share my current experience.

DS2 is 8wks and at the start we were using the Hug-a-Bub no problems. I was hoping to be using that for at least another few months, but he will only tolerate it it for very short trips now.

I then purchased the infant insert for my Ergo, same deal, will only stay quiet for short periods before getting all squirmy (not to mention too hot with that thing).

Today I went back to my Baby Bjorn for an afternoon at the footy (6hrs all up) and he was perfect. Woke for a feed and that's it, no squirming at all. I think he liked his legs being less constricted.

Once he's big enough for the Ergo without insert then I'll revert back to that, but for now the good old BB that many people on here hate, is what he prefers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I would hope nobody would encourage you to put her in a carrier and 'make' her like it, that would be so sad. I think most people use their carriers like you have described

I've not used a hug a bub directly myself but from what I have been told by others they are a bit stiffer than the other stretchy wraps on the market. Saying this is there a chance she is tied in too tight? Otherwise have you tried putting her in side ways instead of tummy to tummy. I will be honest, it is not as secure but it may help to identify if the position is the issue. I have sometimes found if babies are tied in too tight (more with wovens but yanno...) it can cause a little reflux due to the pressure...

Incidently I agree about the infant insert on the ergo. I think this is where the likes of manduca and boba have it all over ergo, as their insert is build into the carrier and quite light weight

The HAB may be too tight, i,will,give that a try.

no, the comment I made about going in the carrier was more that she has been in the carriers for a while ( and loving it) so it wasn't a case of first time round and me having expectations she should just like it.