+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DIY Baby Food

Hi ladies,

I have just bought a baby food maker to make my own baby food... Was wondering if any of you have any recipes to share or websites that you have used to give me some ideas

Thanks,

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was given annabel karmels book. Feeding your baby and toddler. Has heaps of recipes and helps teach you basics.
    I pretty much use mine to make batch food and freeze it. Then mix the ice cubes when defrosting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh excellent.. I'll keep an eye out for that one. I've heard that freezing them in ice trays is a good way of storing it.

How many ice cubes do you think you would use at different ages?

(Sorry I'm an expectant mum & don't know too much, so forgive me for the stupid questions)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I mainly just mash up what we eat and also give them a few things to pick up and feed themselves. I have found they never get enough food if I let them feed it all to themselves. I also have an Annabel Karmel book and a few others that I really only use for the 'toddler' recipes likes cakes, rice dishes and pasta sauces etc (which we all eat). TBH we haven't really used it much at all (got it at op shop luckily!)

Favourites when they are just starting to eat are stewed apples, pears etc, steamed and mashed pumpkin, sweet potato, broccoli, peas, carrot. Sometimes I used to thicken with coconut flour. I make custard, rice custard, creamed rice, they LOVE tuna mornay, bolognese and veggies, porridge (usually with apple) mashed banana and avacado with yogurt, avocado on its own... Oh and they LOVE chewing on a corn cob!

I never processed their food, always just mashed it. I do freeze some in ice cube trays for days I'm running late with dinner so I have something to feed them earlier, but usually just give them a modified version of our dinner.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Here is an example of the different mixes of food I make for DD. She's 9 months old now so I do lots of different stuff, but the basics that I've done since 5 months are:

Pumpkin
    spinach (I buy frozen, they come in handy little cubes which I just add to the steamer with the other vegies)
    carrots
    peas
    broccoli
    cauli
    green beans
    sweet potato
    those are my base vegies and I just add other stuff and flavours and combine them differently so that she has variety. For eg, I'll make a batch of peas, pumpkin and cauli... always make sure there's something sweet so the pumpkin works well. I then use the sweet potato with the beans, broccoli, carrot... I like to add brown rice as well and a bean mix (navy, kidney & chick peas).. I just basically play around with different flavour combos

Same with her fruit, my basics are:
    Apples
    Pears
    Banana
    berries (mixed- blueberries, raspberries etc)

and then I'll add seasonal stuff to the mix, like plums, kiwi fruit and mix with yoghurt when I serve it to her or add the fruit to her weetbix/ baby cereal.

I only ever pureed her food when she just starting on solids, then I just mashed it and also did/do alot of baby led weaning, so she picks up bits of steamed vegies and fruit with her hands and feeds herself (with help).

I now add mince beef and other stuff to her meals.

My advice would be just go to the market and by whatever vegies/fruit takes your fancy. I make big batches every couple of weeks and freeze in little containers I bought from the $2 shop as I found the ice cube trays too small.

Most meals she eats whatever we eat, but I still do her little meals like this as an alternative and to grab on the run.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 04-05-2013 at 22:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thank you! That has given me heaps of ideas.. In terms of freezing.. Is there a limit to how long they can stay in the freezer for?? I want to start experimenting now lol.. But way too early I think!

And did you think it was more cost effective making your own rather than buying the pre made baby food?

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Absolutely waaaay cheaper! I just spent $7 this week on ALL of her vegies for the fortnight! I shop at the fruit n veg market. Now considering that a single jar of food costs anywhere from $1 to $2 or more, the savings are well worth it.

As for freezing times, I'd say the stuff would last months, but you wont have it frozen for that long anyway. And yes, it's fun! I really enjoy making her food and playing around with different combinations and seeing her enjoy it
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 04-05-2013 at 23:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I forgot scrambled eggs! Big winner!

Yes too early to start now lol. But go and taste a couple of jar foods (which is a LOT more expensive) and you'll be converted to homemade coz they re pretty gross.

I'll probably get pounced of for saying that but anyway.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah.. We have a lot of fruit & vege markets here & the produce is so cheap I thought it was silly not to try & make my own!

I'm looking forward to doing the experimenting! When introducing solids, should you hold out on introducing meat? Because when I think of baby food I think of all the mixed Veges, the apple & cinnamon, etc etc. But I never think of meat.. Is it a bit too early for them to digest when I start solids at 6 months or is it something I should be introducing straight away??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started out with 1 cube and just slowly built up as he wanted more. Currently taking 2.5-3 ice cubes. I use the Happy Baby trays.
    I didn't start with rice cereal either. I actually started with potato. We had to start at 4.5 months for medical reasons.